Picking Safety Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
brm4620

Picking Safety Schools

Postby brm4620 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:48 pm

I have a 173 LSAT and a 4.0 GPA from a good undergrad school, and I plan on applying to Stanford, Harvard, and several other top-10 schools, but I am having some difficulty in picking a safety school. What range of schools should I be looking into? I want to apply somewhere that I know I'll get into, but still has a good program. Does anyone have any input?

Humbert Humbert

Re: Picking Safety Schools

Postby Humbert Humbert » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:52 pm

brm4620 wrote:I have a 173 LSAT and a 4.0 GPA from a good undergrad school, and I plan on applying to Stanford, Harvard, and several other top-10 schools, but I am having some difficulty in picking a safety school. What range of schools should I be looking into? I want to apply somewhere that I know I'll get into, but still has a good program. Does anyone have any input?

Assuming your applications don't have some glaring, horrible error, the lower T-14s will be your safeties. Get fee waivers and blanket the top 14.

tabula rasa

Postby tabula rasa » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:58 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:
brm4620 wrote:I have a 173 LSAT and a 4.0 GPA from a good undergrad school, and I plan on applying to Stanford, Harvard, and several other top-10 schools, but I am having some difficulty in picking a safety school. What range of schools should I be looking into? I want to apply somewhere that I know I'll get into, but still has a good program. Does anyone have any input?

Assuming your applications don't have some glaring, horrible error, the lower T-14s will be your safeties. Get fee waivers and blanket the top 14.

This. And you should apply to Yale as well.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:

Agree with this. Fee waivers + all T14s + UT if you really want Texas and UCLA if you really want LA (full scholly possibilities, but even if you want Texas / LA, UT / UCLA are still optional).

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:46 pm

I would suggest picking the "safety" school or two in the mid-lower T-14 range that you would want to attend in the event that you don't get T6. And write a pretty convincing Why X essay. This to avoid YP at MVP types.

brm4620

Postby brm4620 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:22 pm

Travis12 wrote:I would suggest picking the "safety" school or two in the mid-lower T-14 range that you would want to attend in the event that you don't get T6. And write a pretty convincing Why X essay. This to avoid YP at MVP types.

I'm sorry, I haven't really posted here before. What do YP and MVP stand for?

jamesbrf

Postby jamesbrf » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:31 pm

brm4620 wrote:
Travis12 wrote:I would suggest picking the "safety" school or two in the mid-lower T-14 range that you would want to attend in the event that you don't get T6. And write a pretty convincing Why X essay. This to avoid YP at MVP types.

Basically,
YP (yeild protect) = waitlisting/dinging people who will likely have much better options then the given school

MVP = Michigan, Virginia, Penn.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:33 pm

brm4620 wrote:

YP=Yield Protect. Basically school waitlisting you because you'll be going somewhere better, thus protecting their overall yield percentage.

MVP=Michigan, UVA and Penn. Basically this is a common grouping of the "upper lower T14." It can also include Berk if you're a west coaster, although MVP is used more often because it sounds neater.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”