Tulane ($$) vs Miami ($$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LP262

New

Tulane ($$) vs Miami ($$)

Post by LP262 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:22 pm

If you had a choice between Tulane with 32k per year and Miami with 20k what would be the best option?

I want to work in NY. I already have a job offer through a family member. It's not a job in the area of law that i want but i will still obviously take it. I was however wondering which school would give me better employment prospects, if either, in the NY area and generally if there was a big difference between the two schools

lawdooder

New

Re: Tulane ($$) vs Miami ($$)

Post by lawdooder » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:32 pm

Neither. Especially not Miami.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:40 pm

Neither.

Neither school will get you anything in New York, and neither school is worth the debt, even with a shitlaw job already lined up. With Tulane, your total debt at the start of repayment would be close to $140K, assuming you met the scholarship stip all the way through (roughly top 70%). With Miami, your total debt at repayment would be over $180K. That's again assuming you met the scholarship all the way through, which would be far from guaranteed: almost 40% of students entering with scholarships will have their scholarships reduced or eliminated. Even if you were to maintain your scholarship at either school, taking out anything remotely close to that amount of non-dischargeable debt for the job prospects either school offers is utter madness.

Also, please follow the instructions at the top: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=206299.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:46 pm

Ti Malice wrote:please follow the instructions at the top: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=206299.
+1. Also, neither school is worth it at those prices. RETAKE.

LP262

New

Post by LP262 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:10 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Neither.

Neither school will get you anything in New York, and neither school is worth the debt, even with a shitlaw job already lined up. With Tulane, your total debt at the start of repayment would be close to $140K, assuming you met the scholarship stip all the way through (roughly top 70%). With Miami, your total debt at repayment would be over $180K. That's again assuming you met the scholarship all the way through, which would be far from guaranteed: almost 40% of students entering with scholarships will have their scholarships reduced or eliminated. Even if you were to maintain your scholarship at either school, taking out anything remotely close to that amount of non-dischargeable debt for the job prospects either school offers is utter madness.

Also, please follow the instructions at the top: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=206299.
Sorry about that!

missing info

My parents will partly be paying for it but most of it will be loans. In terms of repayment i will have significant help from my parents

I'm from NY, want to come back here. I have family in FL and no ties to New Orleans

163/3.2

I've taken it once, but i'm hesitant to retake and wait another year because i have special circumstances (ie, attended law school before and ended up having to take a medical leave) so that's already a "weakness" when applying. I also took some time off before i attended law school in the first place and having a guaranteed job makes me feel like i need/should just go now

Big law would be ideal, but it's not the only thing i would be happy with

I know you say neither is worth it but if i were to attend and do really well and attempt to transfer after my first year is there a significant difference in my options given the rankings of the school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:22 pm

timmyd

Bronze

Post by timmyd » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:01 pm

On the transferring article that was posted: I find that to be very discouraging, but I have also read much (on here, transfer apps) testimony that seems to indicate that would not be the case. In other words, I think it is uncommon for a student top 10% at WashU who then transfers to Harvard to strike out at oci unless they missed deadlines or something. The article indicates this person would have gotten that biglaw gig had they stayed....I find it hard to believe that with the same credentials that would have landed this person a biglaw gig at WashU and the newly acquired prestige of a Harvard degree, this scenario happens that often. I could be totally wrong though. At any rate, don't plan on doing well enough to transfer.
In terms of the decision between Tulane and Miami: If you want NY, I would say Tulane. I think it has a decent amount of name recognition but unless you are in the top 10% at least I wouldn't count on it. Did you apply to Fordham? That would be much better though still not ideal.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:10 pm

I'm not going to be presumptuous and assume you've perused LST for these schools, but reality is that neither school is good for NY outcomes.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... b=location

6.7% of Tulane graduates end up in NY.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... b=location

4.3% of UMiami graduates end up in NY.

If you have a law job lined up in NY post-graduation, then attend whichever results in less debt. If you're actually looking for new outcomes, then neither of these will give you what you want. Seriously reconsider either your goals or your target schools. That's the only way to reconcile your goals with your targets.

LP262

New

Post by LP262 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:01 am

Thank you
timmyd wrote:
In terms of the decision between Tulane and Miami: If you want NY, I would say Tulane. I think it has a decent amount of name recognition but unless you are in the top 10% at least I wouldn't count on it. Did you apply to Fordham? That would be much better though still not ideal.
I did apply to Fordham initially when i attended law school before and then applied again, was rejected both times
matthewsean85 wrote:If you have a law job lined up in NY post-graduation, then attend whichever results in less debt. If you're actually looking for new outcomes, then neither of these will give you what you want. Seriously reconsider either your goals or your target schools. That's the only way to reconcile your goals with your targets.
Thats what i figured. The job i have in NY the salary is 75k and there's basically not much room for upward movement at all

Also I took the LSAT a long time ago so there's the fear that i might do worse and my choices in NY are fairly limited. Fordham is likely out and Cardozo is the school i had to withdraw from so i just don't see them admitting me again

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:56 am

retake

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:25 am

LP262 wrote:Also I took the LSAT a long time ago so there's the fear that i might do worse and my choices in NY are fairly limited. Fordham is likely out and Cardozo is the school i had to withdraw from so i just don't see them admitting me again
Have you been following the news lately? They're desperate for applicants. Schools DO NOT average, and DO NOT care if you score lower. If your LSAT adds to Dozo's median they'll gladly accept you and probably pay you too.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:39 am

Yeah, schools aren't ex-girlfriends. They don't care that you turned them down in the past. A simple "I just wanted to take another year to grow and evaluate how I will use my law degree" addendum will be more than enough to make them forget a withdrawal.

canesfan1986

Bronze

Post by canesfan1986 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:51 pm

I go to Miami and have a V20 job lined up. That being said, it's really hard to get one at Miami unless you're ~top 3%, so you're taking a chance at Miami. However, I can say with certainty that the scholarships are not hard to maintain at all. All you need is a 3.2 to maintain whatever scholarship you get, which is about top 1/3 of the class. It's really pretty easy to do. PM me if you want more detailed info on Miami.

EDIT: Just realized you want NY. The only way that is likely to happen is if you start at a NY firm's Miami office and transfer. I'm from Miami and wanted to be here, so this didn't apply to me. I'd advise you to retake.
Ti Malice wrote:Neither.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”