What would you do?!? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where would you go (read OP first)?

Harvard, stupid. It's too late to change
20%
Stanford- short-term pain, long-term gain
80%

Total votes: 89

yarsten

Bronze

What would you do?!?

Post by yarsten » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Ok, so here's the deal- my stable life plans just got crazy. I'd been planning to move to Cambridge in two weeks with my wife and daughter, Harvard-owned housing lease is signed, everything's good to go. Until...
Faye Deal just called- I got in off the Stanford waitlist. Stanford was always my first choice (family is all out west), but at this point, it seems crazy to switch. I'm getting a preliminary aid package tomorrow (assuming [hoping] it will be similar to Harvard's...) and she'll let me know if housing is available.
What would you do?!?!

Toby Ziegler

Silver

Re: What would you do?!?

Post by Toby Ziegler » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:05 pm

It would seem that moving to Palo Alto would be an easier trip, and maybe any money lost from a deposit in Cambridge would be negated by the much closer move? I don't know. But it sounds like you really want Stanford, so why not? It will be a pain to get there when you have already planned on MA but you will end up at your number one choice. But again, you can't go wrong with whatever you choose. If it were me (as you asked) as long as there was a decent housing situation set up for my family. I would go to Stanford in a heart beat, especially since us married guys have to worry about what our families will have to do while we are studying for 12 hours a day. Your wife and daughter is going to love Palo Alto in January a lot more than Cambridge Congrats on both acceptances.
Last edited by Toby Ziegler on Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Teflon_Don

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Don » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:21 pm

I would still go to HLS. It depends what kind of person you are.. Personally, switching up all my plans that last minute would fluster me and cause more harm then good.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:26 pm

Very personal call. Aside from your signed lease and the amount of time you've spent assuming you'd end up there, do you have any other significant ties (financial or personal) to Cambridge?

I'm betting SLS's grant award will be bigger. Our financial aid picture is different since you have a child, but SLS offered me significantly more than HLS last year ($10K+ more in grants and $8K in Perkins instead of GradPLUS), and most people report their offers to be more generous. Travel costs to visit family should be much lower for you too, so SLS might save you a sizable chunk of money. Then there's the fact that you prefer the school, financial considerations aside. Do you think you'd be happier living on the West Coast than in the Northeast? Hard to imagine you wouldn't be.

It's a shock to the system to make a change like this at the last minute, but I don't think it's crazy at all. Two months from now, when the agitation from making the switch would be long gone, would you regret not having gone to SLS?

See what the grant offer and housing situation look like and go from there.
Last edited by Ti Malice on Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:27 pm

Don't be afraid of changing your plans to get what you really want. A signed lease is not a good enough reason to give up on your top choice school. You can manage this if you still want Stanford.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:33 pm

Sounds like you really want Stanford. Don't let the little stuff get in the way of what you really want.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:37 pm

It sounds to me like you will regret it later in life if you don't go to SLS. Suck it up and start repacking

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:39 pm

Voted for Stanford because it would be a fitting end after all that waiting you did this cycle.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:41 pm

Losing out on the deposit and logistic headaches are worth your satisfaction/happiness in the long run. Go to Stanford.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Stanford, easily

NYC2012

Bronze

Post by NYC2012 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:48 pm

Last edited by NYC2012 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:48 pm

How does the wife and daughter feel about the potential switch?

tirakon

New

Post by tirakon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:51 pm

I voted yes, because ultimately you'll be happiest near your family and at your #1.

One thing you might consider: Now that HLS sections are out, how do you like your schedule/professors?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:55 pm

If you even have to think about it, you know you should go to Stanford.

2013applicant

New

Post by 2013applicant » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:16 pm

Even the wording of your poll options shows that you should go to Stanford.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:30 pm

Enjoy the bay. It's the right thing to do.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:36 pm

Does your wife already have a job lined up in Boston? It's a big switch for your whole family, so what do they want?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yarsten

Bronze

Post by yarsten » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:55 pm

I'll try to reply to most of the questions asked-
Yes, I'm in Utah. No we don't really have any ties to Boston. The wife doesn't have a job lined up or anything, basically we would just have to cancel our lease (if we can??) and eat the deposit ($2700 between the apartment and the seat deposit). On the other hand every trip back home would be significantly cheaper so that probably evens out.
I guess the only thing holding me back right now is the fact that I've basically been planning on Harvard since last December when I got in. It's a tough thing to give up. And dat lay preftige... ;)
In all seriousness, if the aid package is similar and we can get everything taken care of in time, I think I'll go with S.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:56 pm

Sounds like a relatively easy decision then. Enjoy Palo Alto.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:57 pm

I mean if you really wanted Stanford all along, go for it. Still, I could see you not wanting to change plans this late in the game given the similarity in opportunities.

I think the apartment lease money should be the least of your concerns. Its a minor sunk cost for 3 yrs of six figure schooling

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:38 am

Enjoy SLS. Gratz!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:54 am

Basing law school decisions on short term hassles and a few thousand bucks in penalties for breaking a lease seems dumb. Enjoy Stanford.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:12 pm

Come join us at Stanford, man. SLS is typically very generous with its financial aid, so I imagine you'll receive more there than you received at HLS.

Also, having grown up on the east coast, I can wholeheartedly attest to the truth of this:
NYC2012 wrote:Don't move to the east coast unless you absolutely have to. Trust.
I bet your wife and daughter would be happier staying on the west coast and closer to your guys' families. Good luck with your decision!

yarsten

Bronze

Post by yarsten » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:28 pm

Still haven't heard on aid or housing, but it turns out I'm still responsible for my Harvard housing lease if they can't find another tenant. The guy on the phone said there's a good chance they'd find one but there are no guarantees.
I would love to pay $4000/mo rent.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:43 pm

yarsten wrote:Still haven't heard on aid or housing, but it turns out I'm still responsible for my Harvard housing lease if they can't find another tenant. The guy on the phone said there's a good chance they'd find one but there are no guarantees.
I would love to pay $4000/mo rent.
Do you honestly believe they won't find another tenant? I live in New York and it just isn't a problem to find other tenants. I have never seen empty university housing. I don't think it should be an issue at Harvard.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”