-

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

I would attend

HYS
50%
CCNP (Half Tuition)
22%
MVD (Full Tuition)
28%

Total votes: 107

paglababa

Re: HYS vs. The Full Scholarship

Postby paglababa » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:58 am

GJWheeler wrote:if you want to work at a law firm, HYS.

if you want to do public interest, then CCNP or whatever the schools in the third option are.

How does that make sense? I'd rather do HYS if I wanted PI because everyone says that HYS opens up more doors to those hard to get /federal/prestigious positions. Plus, the low PI salary would justify the higher tuition because of LRAP and such.

I would think that if someone wants biglaw they'd rather take the money and run from CCNYMVP.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:35 am

paglababa wrote:

if you want to do public interest, then CCNP or whatever the schools in the third option are.

How does that make sense? I'd rather do HYS if I wanted PI because everyone says that HYS opens up more doors to those hard to get /federal/prestigious positions. Plus, the low PI salary would justify the higher tuition because of LRAP and such.

I would think that if someone wants biglaw they'd rather take the money and run from CCNYMVP.

Yeah it's backwards, but the real answer is soj's post from the previous page.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:08 am

bk1 wrote:
paglababa wrote:

Yeah it's backwards, but the real answer is soj's post from the previous page.

soj's post is the real answer for most people, including the "maybe PI" crowd, but it's not necessarily the answer for people with PI backgrounds who enter law school strictly to pursue a PI career.

Just want to emphasize that you have this backwards.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:52 am

Fair enough. But those people are rare and there are far fewer true PI people than there are people who think they are true PI people.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:55 am

bk1 wrote:Fair enough. But those people are rare and there are far fewer true PI people than there are people who think they are true PI people.

To be fair, outside of TLS/NU they're not that rare.

abl

Postby abl » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:25 am

Am I missing something wrt Penn? Or is all of that early stuff about CCNP a flame? I graduated from law school a year ago, so I suppose things have changed (although now I'm closer to the hiring end of things, and things DEFINITELY haven't from this end), but when I was in school, this was not how things were viewed. I understand that Penn appears to have had one (or even two?) good years of data, but does a bigger sample really show that Penn is at the same level as Columbia, NYU, or Chicago?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:39 am

abl wrote:Am I missing something wrt Penn? Or is all of that early stuff about CCNP a flame? I graduated from law school a year ago, so I suppose things have changed (although now I'm closer to the hiring end of things, and things DEFINITELY haven't from this end), but when I was in school, this was not how things were viewed. I understand that Penn appears to have had one (or even two?) good years of data, but does a bigger sample really show that Penn is at the same level as Columbia, NYU, or Chicago?

They place a lot of people, but not into the same caliber of jobs proportionally.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:06 am

IAFG wrote:
bk1 wrote:Fair enough. But those people are rare and there are far fewer true PI people than there are people who think they are true PI people.

To be fair, outside of TLS/NU they're not that rare.

Eh, I think those people are still likely to be lured away by biglaw.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:17 pm

abl wrote:Am I missing something wrt Penn? Or is all of that early stuff about CCNP a flame? I graduated from law school a year ago, so I suppose things have changed (although now I'm closer to the hiring end of things, and things DEFINITELY haven't from this end), but when I was in school, this was not how things were viewed. I understand that Penn appears to have had one (or even two?) good years of data, but does a bigger sample really show that Penn is at the same level as Columbia, NYU, or Chicago?

Penn has great large firm placement numbers going back at least to 2005.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”