-

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

I would attend

HYS
50%
CCNP (Half Tuition)
22%
MVD (Full Tuition)
28%

Total votes: 107

jbagelboy

Re: HYS vs. The Full Scholarship

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:20 pm

paglababa wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
paglababa wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:Here are a couple of charts that I've made in my free time that might prove slightly useful (I didn't make the one for 2011; that was made by someone else here on TLS):

Biglaw + AIII
Class of 2012 Employment Data
Class of 2011 Employment Data

Based on their employment statistics these past couple of years, I would put UMichigan closer to NU and GULC as far as outcomes go instead of Virginia and Berkeley.

Also, as was previously mentioned, I think that UPenn has the "highest" biglaw rate just because kids at HYSCCN are self-selecting out into other forms of employment, and not because UPenn actually has better biglaw placement power than these other schools. :P

Why is UMich closer to NU then VB?

Also, based on % of kids who got biglaw, would someone be better off going to Cornell or NU if they want big law in NYC/Chicago compared to some of MVD, assuming full ride at all 5 schools?

If Duke and Michigan "full ride" are the named scholarships (Mordecai ect), Id take those over Deans at Cornell or $50K at NU/UVA, both for the name recognition and the perks.

Hadn't thought about dat prestige.
Chicago just seems like it would be a better place to live then NC or Ann Arbor, and has that Chicago market tie if you previously only had ties from the north east. But anyway these are problems I'd like to have. Darrow/Mordecai just seem so much harder to obtain though than 50k at NU.

Exactly --

The acting assumption with a Darrow/Mordecai from a firms'/judges' perspective would be, "this student could probably be at Harvard or at least CC". Its harder to know with just the $ scholarship

twenty

Postby twenty » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:28 pm

IAFG wrote:That graph is incredibly useful, and I thank whoever put it together, but at NU, "business/industry" does not necessarily mean "Starbucks" or even "couldn't get biglaw." We have 1) a lot of JD-MBAs who choose MBA type jobs and 2) people with WE who leverage that with their JD to do something other than law.

Nor does "JD Advantage" at GULC mean "public affairs at Disneyland."

I think I'd probably be mad, too, if someone (seemingly?) compared my school with GULC. But the entire point of the graph is to show off the percentage of people who ended up in two very specific industries; biglaw and federal clerkships. No one's trying to say Penn >>> NYU >> Yale, but you have to admit by LST numbers alone, NU is probably closer to GULC than to UVA.

twenty

Postby twenty » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:29 pm

jbagel,

look at EIP/OCI success rate and you'll see which candidates can get their 2L SAs when they try for them (%85-90, Penn is no higher).

Where can I find these for other schools? Is there a career page or a TLS spreadsheet or something?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:34 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
IAFG wrote:That graph is incredibly useful, and I thank whoever put it together, but at NU, "business/industry" does not necessarily mean "Starbucks" or even "couldn't get biglaw." We have 1) a lot of JD-MBAs who choose MBA type jobs and 2) people with WE who leverage that with their JD to do something other than law.

Nor does "JD Advantage" at GULC mean "public affairs at Disneyland."

I think I'd probably be mad, too, if someone (seemingly?) compared my school with GULC. But the entire point of the graph is to show off the percentage of people who ended up in two very specific industries; biglaw and federal clerkships. No one's trying to say Penn >>> NYU >> Yale, but you have to admit by LST numbers alone, NU is probably closer to GULC than to UVA.

I'm not mad, it's just an inaccurate description. And by LST numbers alone, NU is much closer to UVA than GULC.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:34 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:jbagel,

look at EIP/OCI success rate and you'll see which candidates can get their 2L SAs when they try for them (%85-90, Penn is no higher).

Where can I find these for other schools? Is there a career page or a TLS spreadsheet or something?

Not all schools release that stat.

twenty

Postby twenty » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:39 pm

Ah, mk. I was hoping there was some page on NLJ that had that statistic. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding OCI mechanics, that would be a pretty solid measure of a school's worth.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:45 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Ah, mk. I was hoping there was some page on NLJ that had that statistic. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding OCI mechanics, that would be a pretty solid measure of a school's worth.

It would be, unless schools started worrying about that number and discouraging marginal candidates from participating.

Postby 20141023 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:31 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soj

Postby soj » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:38 am

ArtistOfManliness wrote:It's kind of a toss up between YSH and fully scholly at CCN. Only a half scholly? YSH every time.

No, full scholly at CCN is a no-brainer. Half scholly at CCN is the toss-up.

I wrote a lengthy post on this earlier: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=211216&start=50#p6849827

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:23 am

I would absolutely take a fully at CCN, or even B, over HYS.

Having said that, my family is stupid poor and I'm not personally wealthy by any means so idk what that would mean in terms of need-based aid at HYS, which could factor into my decision.

But if the choice is sticker at HYS v. full scholarship at CCN or B, I'm going with the money in an instant. Anyone who doesn't is just prestige-whoring and making a dumbass decision. Quarter-million dollars is a lot of coin.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:13 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:I would absolutely take a fully at CCN, or even B, over HYS.

Having said that, my family is stupid poor and I'm not personally wealthy by any means so idk what that would mean in terms of need-based aid at HYS, which could factor into my decision.

But if the choice is sticker at HYS v. full scholarship at CCN or B, I'm going with the money in an instant. Anyone who doesn't is just prestige-whoring and making a dumbass decision. Quarter-million dollars is a lot of coin.

I agree -- although the need based aid can be a strong mitigating factor. I have a friend who took Stanford over RTK full scholarship at NYU. A lot more debt, but not a quarter million more, since SLS offered $20K+/yr in grants. You'll probably receive something similar. It can go either way. A lot also depends on family contribution (which is effectively a grant for spoiled kids). Some hamiltons this cycle who also had substantial family wealth turned it down for HYS with the full knowledge their debt burden wouldnt be high either way

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:05 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Having said that, my family is stupid poor and I'm not personally wealthy by any means so idk what that would mean in terms of need-based aid at HYS, which could factor into my decision.

Depends on what you have in the way of savings and other financial assets (you're expected to exhaust them). If you had nothing, then you would probably be looking at >$30K per year in grant aid at YLS and HLS and possibly >$40K per year at SLS. Your assets would count against grants on a dollar-for-dollar basis.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:09 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Having said that, my family is stupid poor and I'm not personally wealthy by any means so idk what that would mean in terms of need-based aid at HYS, which could factor into my decision.

Depends on what you have in the way of savings and other financial assets (you're expected to exhaust them). If you had nothing, then you would probably be looking at >$30K per year in grant aid at YLS and HLS and possibly >$40K per year at SLS. Your assets would count against grants on a dollar-for-dollar basis.

Now all I need to do is gain admission..

edit: I noticed that you jumped from 'financial assets' to 'assets.' Do cars count as a type of asset they account for?

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:10 pm

I wonder if age and debt are also a factor. Though NYU isn't purely need based, others were offered more than me for what is likely need based aid and my assets=sub5k/efc=0 but with minimal debt and a young age

^^^Needaccess makes you report cars, so yeah,I believe so

bbsg

Postby bbsg » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:58 am

I know a lot of people at H (incoming 1Ls and rising 2Ls) and one person at Y who chose their school over full rides at NYU and Columbia.

Ask me again in three years how that went for everyone involved. Having been acquainted with the Hamilton and a couple of full-ride programs at NYU, though, I think someone would need to be pretty insane to take the Hamilton over some of the NYU programs.

I also know three people at NYU who took full rides over H. One regretted *slightly* and the other two are very, very happy with the choice they made.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:01 am

bbsg wrote:I know a lot of people at H (incoming 1Ls and rising 2Ls) and one person at Y who chose their school over full rides at NYU and Columbia.

Ask me again in three years how that went for everyone involved. Having been acquainted with the Hamilton and a couple of full-ride programs at NYU, though, I think someone would need to be pretty insane to take the Hamilton over some of the NYU programs.

I also know three people at NYU who took full rides over H. One regretted *slightly* and the other two are very, very happy with the choice they made.

Does NYU have any full schollys like Hamilton that are not specifically geared to those interested in PI, other than that 1st generation grad student scholly (Ann Bryce?).

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:09 am

paglababa wrote:
bbsg wrote:I know a lot of people at H (incoming 1Ls and rising 2Ls) and one person at Y who chose their school over full rides at NYU and Columbia.

Does NYU have any full schollys like Hamilton that are not specifically geared to those interested in PI, other than that 1st generation grad student scholly (Ann Bryce?).

Yes.

The "Vanderbilt" is a full tuition named scholarship.

Also, Furmam scholars are for academia. Not sure if this is full ride.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:27 am

Whether or not you have $250k in the bank, HYS is not worth $250k more than MVPB.

bbsg

Postby bbsg » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:56 pm

paglababa wrote:

NYU has a lot of full scholarships including one like the Hamilton that's just an open-ended full-ride given at admission. The more specific ones like the IILJ and AnBryce seem absolutely fantastic as far as programs go (better than the Hamilton, certainly, in my experience having been offered scholarships at both places).

I did the unpopular thing here and turned down the full rides I was offered. Mostly because the financial aid at Harvard was much more generous than I anticipated (I wouldn't have gone "at sticker" to any US school, frankly) and Harvard was great with connecting me with Harvard students and alums who had turned down full-rides at Columbia and Chicago and they all offered fairly compelling and honest-sounding advice on the issue. I did the whole "ASW, find out what feels better" thing and frankly Harvard *did* feel like a better fit to the point of going into some fairly significant debt.

If I ever regret taking Harvard, though, I won't regret taking it over most of the schools I turned down. I am 100% sure that if I regret Harvard, I'll have wish I took NYU. (By the same token, if I had gone to NYU I'd be sitting here saying "I am 100% sure that if I regret NYU, I'll have wish I took Harvard." And I wouldn't just be saying it in a prestige-whore sense, I emphasize, although the big name certainly doesn't hurt). I'll hopefully return in five years when I'm dealing with debt and let future posters know how it felt in the end, certainly.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:15 pm

bbsg wrote:I'll hopefully return in five years when I'm dealing with debt and let future posters know how it felt in the end, certainly.

That's when TLS is going to step to another tier as far as offering the most comprehensive advice possible for potential/current students. :D

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:48 pm

TWIST:

Future TLS wrote:HYS > Georgetown > Columbia

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:50 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:TWIST:

Future TLS wrote:UCI >HYS > Georgetown > Columbia

FTFY

edit: Directed by M. Night Shyamalan

Postby 20141023 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:17 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:24 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:TWIST TRUTH:

Present TLS wrote:UCI > Georgetown

FTFY

edit: Directed by M. Night Shyamalan

FYFY :lol:

the same to you ;)

GJWheeler

Postby GJWheeler » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:34 am

if you want to work at a law firm, HYS.

if you want to do public interest, then CCNP or whatever the schools in the third option are.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”