Last Minute Decision Duke $$ v UVA $$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA v DUke

Duke (206,056 COA)
31%
UVA (201,801 COA)
69%

Total votes: 39

jbagelboy

Re: Last Minute Decision Duke $$ v UVA $$

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:29 am

californiabeauar wrote:UVA>DUKE

On what objective basis? % of BS school funded positions?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:40 am

californiabeauar wrote:1) UVA > (or, maybe, =) DUKE. IMO, UVA is the right choice.

2) "...notorious for gaming the rankings..." LOL. You've fallen into the TLS hivemind. The only thing UVA is 'notorious' for is drunken softball and helping some of their students (those who don't land the jobs they want at graduation) on their feet and the get well regarded law jerbs once their fellowships end.

If you think fellowships exist primarily to "help some of their students" then I believe you are the one drinking the cool aid, not the hive mind.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:42 am

ImNoScar wrote:
californiabeauar wrote:1) UVA > (or, maybe, =) DUKE. IMO, UVA is the right choice.

2) "...notorious for gaming the rankings..." LOL. You've fallen into the TLS hivemind. The only thing UVA is 'notorious' for is drunken softball and helping some of their students (those who don't land the jobs they want at graduation) on their feet and the get well regarded law jerbs once their fellowships end.

If you think fellowships exist primarily to "help some of their students" then I believe you are the one drinking the cool aid, not the hive mind.

A lot of the UVA fellowships are actually legit. There was an ATL article on it.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:50 am

If someone could provide some data that suggests UVA is better than duke (excluding admission stats and employment stats that include school funded jobs) that be cool. I'm pretty sure that info doesn't exist and you should just pick the one you like best.

gaucholaw

Postby gaucholaw » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:08 am

I think one thing that could be relevant to note, is that it is possible to do a few years of big law and then public interest (one of my cousins did this route), in which case you could feasibly pay off a large portion of your debt. As for which school is better, I'm partial in that I'm going to UVA, but I honestly consider the schools to be equal (although as mentioned, Duke has an edge in big law and NYC, and UVA in DC). Nonetheless, 20k and 25k respectively at each school is a great accomplishment you should be proud of - it's just shitty how it still ends up being six-figures worth of non-dischargeable debt

Legen..waitforit

Postby Legen..waitforit » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:10 am

UVA=Duke. Go with yo gut
Last edited by Legen..waitforit on Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Legen..waitforit

Postby Legen..waitforit » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:15 am

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:24 am

ImNoScar wrote:

Primary reasons they exist aside, they get people into FT jobs that fall under the category of "lawyer" after they end and that entitles us to use the 115k+ median salary of the profession.

Also, UVA games the rankings far less than most other schools. Penn YPs as much if not more than any other T14. HYSCCN are all about gaming that overhead per person segment.

That being said, I wouldn't pay much for this. 5k/year is about the perfect tradeoff

dabbadon8 wrote:If someone could provide some data that suggests UVA is better than duke (excluding admission stats and employment stats that include school funded jobs) that be cool. I'm pretty sure that info doesn't exist and you should just pick the one you like best.

They are basically the same school with the school funded jobs exception. And that is something, it isn't huge but it is something.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:20 pm

Legen..waitforit wrote:Also, this : http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/10/opini ... olina.html

Definitely something to consider when choosing between Duke and UVA :roll:

Legen..waitforit

Postby Legen..waitforit » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:56 pm

^^^
Not sure if your emoticon was meant to denote some (poor attempt at) sarcasm, but if so, then when choosing between two peer schools, who are you to say that some piece of information--no matter how tangential--isn't important to making a decision? I linked a recent piece of quality writing about NC. I'll let the OP make of it whatever he/she decides.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:35 pm

Legen..waitforit wrote:^^^
Not sure if your emoticon was meant to denote some (poor attempt at) sarcasm, but if so, then when choosing between two peer schools, who are you to say that some piece of information--no matter how tangential--isn't important to making a decision? I linked a recent piece of quality writing about NC. I'll let the OP make of it whatever he/she decides.

LOL. Here OP. This should be helpful in making your decision on where to attend law school. You can grab some tickets right before school starts.

http://www.usga.org/TicketsFunnel.aspx?ID=21474854488

Now I know it is tangential, but it is clearly important in making your decision.

Legen..waitforit

Postby Legen..waitforit » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:18 am

lawyerwannabe wrote:
Legen..waitforit wrote:^^^

LOL. Here OP. This should be helpful in making your decision on where to attend law school. You can grab some tickets right before school starts.

http://www.usga.org/TicketsFunnel.aspx?ID=21474854488

Now I know it is tangential, but it is clearly important in making your decision.

:D Despite the difference between a brief golfing event and the state's failing economy + newly institutionalized Jim Crow laws, this find is a great one.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”