Valparaiso or Washburn (Kansas/Indiana insiders preferred)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Washburn v. Valparaiso

Washburn Law
64%
Valparaiso Law
36%

Total votes: 28

ProspectiveStudent69

Re: Valparaiso or Washburn (Kansas/Indiana insiders preferred)

Postby ProspectiveStudent69 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:28 am

BentleyLittle wrote:OP, Valpo is a terrible school. I have a friend that is a 2L there on a full ride and he absolutely regrets attending. I know of three others who recently graduated from there with decent grades whom are unemployed. These are anecdotes, yes, but the employment data supports this trend. Valpo doesn't even have OCI.

Lol why didn't they gun it and then transfer? All I do is study so I can get out of here. Anyways, sorry about your friends misfortune. I will be out of here in no time. I will let you all know how it pans out in May!

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:25 am

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:47 am

ProspectiveStudent69 wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:OP, Valpo is a terrible school. I have a friend that is a 2L there on a full ride and he absolutely regrets attending. I know of three others who recently graduated from there with decent grades whom are unemployed. These are anecdotes, yes, but the employment data supports this trend. Valpo doesn't even have OCI.

Lol why didn't they gun it and then transfer? All I do is study so I can get out of here. Anyways, sorry about your friends misfortune. I will be out of here in no time. I will let you all know how it pans out in May!

Maybe because that doesn't work for 90% of people?

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:15 am

Where do you plan to transfer to OP?

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:14 am

ProspectiveStudent69 wrote:Keep your opinion about who is an "idiot" to yourself please.

ProspectiveStudent69 wrote:The school isn't bad. Just to many idiots go here, and the employment is pretty dismal.

Why are we feeding the troll?

ProspectiveStudent69

Postby ProspectiveStudent69 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:04 am

Probably Drake or some place with better employment statistics. I hate Indiana, so I i would like to move somewhere way better. You have to be in the top half of your class to transfer to Drake. At least that is what they told me when they sent me letters. Valpo has a curve lol. In contracts, there was only like 8 or 9 A's given, notwithstanding the Honor's A. Legal Writing and Legal Research isn't on a curve. They completely revamped everything, and it is geared more towards making future lawyers practice ready. Since schools use a wide variety of curves, most schools go off of your class rank instead. :roll:

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:38 am

ProspectiveStudent69 wrote:Probably Drake or some place with better employment statistics. I hate Indiana, so I i would like to move somewhere way better. You have to be in the top half of your class to transfer to Drake. At least that is what they told me when they sent me letters. Valpo has a curve lol. In contracts, there was only like 8 or 9 A's given, notwithstanding the Honor's A. Legal Writing and Legal Research isn't on a curve. They completely revamped everything, and it is geared more towards making future lawyers practice ready. Since schools use a wide variety of curves, most schools go off of your class rank instead. :roll:

Drake has horrible employment numbers. Why would that be any better?

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:53 pm

HYSenberg

Postby HYSenberg » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:55 pm

worldtraveler wrote:Drake has horrible employment numbers. Why would that be any better?

That's what happens when you name schools after overrated, talentless rappers.

jumpingjack

Postby jumpingjack » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:43 pm

I go to Valpo. The person is not a troll, because, as at least one other poster has mentioned, the new curriculum means the 1L's are on a quarter system, so they have grades in already.

What he might not have known is that Valpo handed out 10K schollies like candy to people that never would have gotten $ here a year or two ago to keep the class size from bottoming out after the tiny 2L class. Anecdotally, admissions was surprised about the big 1L class. Apparently they were expecting in the realm of 120-130.

I don't know what the stips are on the new, candy scholarships. Most of the "real" 1/2 to full scholarships are on a 3.0 GPA, or top third. Also, how funny was it that the OP went to Valpo on the assumption that there was no curve when there clearly is one here.

A couple of the 1L's that I have talked to have given me the impression that there are similar stipulations on the candy 10k scholarships. That means that the schollie retention rate is going to go way down, and there are going to be a ton of PO'd students who came here because of the "scholarship."

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:09 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
ProspectiveStudent69 wrote:BTW. I'm real and I decided to go with Valpo. I have a 3.1 and looks like I'm in the top 33% of the class. City is lame and the schooling has exceeded my expectations. I'm probably going to transfer to Drake or Loyola Chicago after two semesters. LOL. You guys thought I was a troll, well looks like you were wrong.

So you are a troll. Sweet.

Also, you don't have a 3.1 yet you silly troll

I checked out Valpo's website out of morbid curiosity. It appears their academic year is divided into four seven-week terms, so OP should actually have a couple of grades back now.

It's amusing that he thinks he's really showing us how wrong we were. He's finished one quarter of his first year and he's already making transfer predictions. And he's chest-thumping about the possibility of transferring out of one of the very worst law schools in the country, where he's on pace to have $150K of debt at the start of repayment, to two slightly less terrible law schools, where two years at sticker would run his total debt load to more than $200K at repayment.

It galls me that these awful law schools can still get away with wrecking the lives of tens of thousands of people, but better that this happen to an idiot who has encountered all of the information needed for making an intelligent decision (like OP) than someone who never tracked down that information.

edit: typo

Keep your opinion about who is an "idiot" to yourself please. I made a conscious commitment to attend and I don't regret it. I understand you have a stick up your ass and feel the need to try and put others down, but it really only makes you look like a douche.. Let's bully kids on an online forum for no reason! I can't believe people who supposedly have a far greater intellect and logic lack so much professionalism. Where is your civility?

Valparaiso is on a quarter system, and I have grades for like 5 classes. I have finals again on the 11th. In the NW Indiana area, Valpo grads do really well actually. The school has a long history and actually has a good reputation outside of the realm of TLS. I hate to be paternalistic, but please treat others the way you want to be treated.

I'm harsh because I want to make it perfectly clear that you made an objectively and unambiguously horrible decision. I don't want anyone reading this thread to entertain the thought of doing something as stupid as you did, despite having had hard numbers at your disposal showing you the high risk of financial ruin that this choice entails.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:19 pm

worldtraveler wrote:Drake has horrible employment numbers. Why would that be any better?

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:27 pm

so are you going to transfer OP?

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:32 pm

OP you should think about retaking

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Here's an anecdotal story of why the plan is flawed:

I have a friend who went to a TTTT with this plan and was top 5%. He won, and transferred to a top 20 (no tier 1 in the market would accept him because of the TTTT's stigma). He struck out, and now is paying full tuition vs. a 1/2 scholarship. Basically the plan is flawed because if you win, you still lose. Even if you dominate you go to a school where 30% has a good outcome, and transfers won't be the 30%.

hernanmi

Postby hernanmi » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:47 pm

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:16 pm

ProspectiveStudent69 wrote:Let's bully kids on an online forum for no reason! I can't believe people who supposedly have a far greater intellect and logic lack so much professionalism. Where is your civility?

I know OP is gone, but someone necro'ed and I have to bitch about my pet peeve here.

Law students are not "kids". They're adults. They may be retarded, immature adults, but they're adults. When does adolescence actually end these days? 25? 30? When you start collecting social security? There 19 year olds on their second tour in Afghanistan, but you're a 24 year old "kid"? Great.

It's not bullying. You're not 15. You're an adult, and your decisions are subject to that level of scrutiny. If someone calls your decision stupid, you can't just go "Hey, stop bullying me, I'm just a kid!"

ProspectiveStudent69

Postby ProspectiveStudent69 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:31 am

BentleyLittle wrote:Where do you plan to transfer to OP?

Drake, Iowa, USC, Notre Dame,

ProspectiveStudent69

Postby ProspectiveStudent69 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:37 am

jumpingjack wrote:I go to Valpo. The person is not a troll, because, as at least one other poster has mentioned, the new curriculum means the 1L's are on a quarter system, so they have grades in already.

What he might not have known is that Valpo handed out 10K schollies like candy to people that never would have gotten $ here a year or two ago to keep the class size from bottoming out after the tiny 2L class. Anecdotally, admissions was surprised about the big 1L class. Apparently they were expecting in the realm of 120-130.

I don't know what the stips are on the new, candy scholarships. Most of the "real" 1/2 to full scholarships are on a 3.0 GPA, or top third. Also, how funny was it that the OP went to Valpo on the assumption that there was no curve when there clearly is one here.

A couple of the 1L's that I have talked to have given me the impression that there are similar stipulations on the candy 10k scholarships. That means that the schollie retention rate is going to go way down, and there are going to be a ton of PO'd students who came here because of the "scholarship."

It's like 2.7 stip. Its a fucking joke lol. I have to get out of here though. I'm in the top 10%. A lot of the top dogs are going to leave. I want a diploma from a better school. I don't want to be a 40k per year public defender or law clerk or do some BS pro bono save the trees gig lol.

ProspectiveStudent69

Postby ProspectiveStudent69 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:39 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
ProspectiveStudent69 wrote:Let's bully kids on an online forum for no reason! I can't believe people who supposedly have a far greater intellect and logic lack so much professionalism. Where is your civility?

I know OP is gone, but someone necro'ed and I have to bitch about my pet peeve here.

Law students are not "kids". They're adults. They may be retarded, immature adults, but they're adults. When does adolescence actually end these days? 25? 30? When you start collecting social security? There 19 year olds on their second tour in Afghanistan, but you're a 24 year old "kid"? Great.

It's not bullying. You're not 15. You're an adult, and your decisions are subject to that level of scrutiny. If someone calls your decision stupid, you can't just go "Hey, stop bullying me, I'm just a kid!"

Oops sorry I didn't think we would get a strict constructionist. Adults I meant.

ProspectiveStudent69

Postby ProspectiveStudent69 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:43 am

ImNoScar wrote:

Maybe because that doesn't work for 90% of people?

Well they need to step it up and do better then. It just takes motivation and perseverance.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:30 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:

Oops sorry I didn't think we would get a strict constructionist. Adults I meant.

I know it seems like nit-picking, but I notice people tend to deploy the "kids" language when they're about to do/have done something stupid and don't want to be criticized for it.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:08 pm

I'd take Washburn because it's easier to pronounce

jumpingjack

Postby jumpingjack » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:06 am

It's like 2.7 stip. Its a fucking joke lol. I have to get out of here though. I'm in the top 10%. A lot of the top dogs are going to leave. I want a diploma from a better school. I don't want to be a 40k per year public defender or law clerk or do some BS pro bono save the trees gig lol.

You sound like a total loser.

And FYI: in this economy, 40K public defender gigs are golden. Not only is the work interesting and you get a lot of trial experience, but you are eligible for Public Service Loan Forgiveness.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:10 am

Return to “Choosing a Law School”