Valparaiso or Washburn (Kansas/Indiana insiders preferred) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Washburn v. Valparaiso

Washburn Law
60%
Valparaiso Law
40%

Total votes: 30

ProspectiveStudent69

New

Re: Valparaiso or Washburn (Kansas/Indiana insiders preferred)

Post by ProspectiveStudent69 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:25 am

jumpingjack wrote:
ProspectiveStudent69 wrote:
It's like 2.7 stip. Its a fucking joke lol. I have to get out of here though. I'm in the top 10%. A lot of the top dogs are going to leave. I want a diploma from a better school. I don't want to be a 40k per year public defender or law clerk or do some BS pro bono save the trees gig lol.
You sound like a total loser.

And FYI: in this economy, 40K public defender gigs are golden. Not only is the work interesting and you get a lot of trial experience, but you are eligible for Public Service Loan Forgiveness.
Thanks. Says the person hiding behind their computer.. Tough guy eh? Lol.

ProspectiveStudent69

New

Post by ProspectiveStudent69 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:30 am

sublime wrote:
jumpingjack wrote:
It's like 2.7 stip. Its a fucking joke lol. I have to get out of here though. I'm in the top 10%. A lot of the top dogs are going to leave. I want a diploma from a better school. I don't want to be a 40k per year public defender or law clerk or do some BS pro bono save the trees gig lol.

And FYI: in this economy, 40K public defender gigs are golden. Not only is the work interesting and you get a lot of trial experience, but you are eligible for Public Service Loan Forgiveness.
And it is not like you are going to walk into biglaw from valapraiso. They will be skeptical of your grades.
Who says I'm looking to do "big law" most the lawyers I know make six figures and work in firms with less than 20 people. Back in Iowa that is.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:35 am

sublime wrote:
jumpingjack wrote:

And it is not like you are going to walk into biglaw from valapraiso. They will be skeptical of your grades.
Who says I'm looking to do "big law" most the lawyers I know make six figures and work in firms with less than 20 people. Back in Iowa that is.
Survivor/boomer bias

Come on dude

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:02 am

BentleyLittle

Bronze

Post by BentleyLittle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:23 pm

sublime wrote:I really wish this thread was locked instead of randomly bumped every three weeks.
+1. Although I enjoy reading new posts on here almost as much as the Indiana Tech thread. I'll be truly sad when that one closes down.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Boilerbunch

New

Post by Boilerbunch » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:36 am

If you are going to take the path of these two schools and shut off the retake advice then here is the answer you are looking for.

Go to Washburn. You will only be dealing with competition in-state from UMKC and KU, both third and second tier schools whose regional reputation isn't that far off of Washburn's. If you go to Valpo you are now dealing with Notre Dame, IU - Mauer, and IU - McKinnely. Two first tier and one second tier. Both with regional reputations that FAR eclipse Valpo's. I have two friends that go to Valpo and only one of them is in good water and that is because she is up there at the top 5%, and even then she is having some serious troubles. Good news for her is that she isn't paying a cent to go there.

That all said, retake.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:39 am

Boilerbunch wrote:If you are going to take the path of these two schools and shut off the retake advice then here is the answer you are looking for.

Go to Washburn. You will only be dealing with competition in-state from UMKC and KU, both third and second tier schools whose regional reputation isn't that far off of Washburn's. If you go to Valpo you are now dealing with Notre Dame, IU - Mauer, and IU - McKinnely. Two first tier and one second tier. Both with regional reputations that FAR eclipse Valpo's. I have two friends that go to Valpo and only one of them is in good water and that is because she is up there at the top 5%, and even then she is having some serious troubles. Good news for her is that she isn't paying a cent to go there.

That all said, retake.
Post has much win

ProspectiveStudent69

New

Post by ProspectiveStudent69 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:46 am

Well I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but I recently accepted an offer to attend Wash U. I did it. I went in with the mentality that I was getting out of here and I accomplished my goal. I did not make a lot of friends or get to screw off that much, BUT that shits not important. Getting a high paying law firm job is all that matters to me. So yes, transferring from a T4 to a T1 is possible... You just have to want it. The funny thing is that I probably schooled fools who did far better than me on the LSAT. I just out worked them. Proving once again that the LSAT is just an arbitrary sorting mechanism. I am probably going to attend a better school than many of the people who said I could not do it, so I guess I get the last laugh. :lol: :P :P

ProspectiveStudent69

New

Post by ProspectiveStudent69 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:19 am

After rereading through everyone's comments, I just want to say thank you for motivating me with your negativity. I understand that I am probably an anomaly, but I hope that my story shows people that it can be done. Thanks again for all of the free laughter and enjoyment, I truly appreciate it!!! :twisted:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:41 am

sticker at wustl is a rip off

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:50 am

Good luck tho

Seriously. Hope u beat the odds. Most people won't.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:24 am

ProspectiveStudent69 wrote:Well I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but I recently accepted an offer to attend Wash U. I did it. I went in with the mentality that I was getting out of here and I accomplished my goal. I did not make a lot of friends or get to screw off that much, BUT that shits not important. Getting a high paying law firm job is all that matters to me. So yes, transferring from a T4 to a T1 is possible... You just have to want it. The funny thing is that I probably schooled fools who did far better than me on the LSAT. I just out worked them. Proving once again that the LSAT is just an arbitrary sorting mechanism. I am probably going to attend a better school than many of the people who said I could not do it, so I guess I get the last laugh. :lol: :P :P
You're an idiot. I know you think this is your big "ah ha!" moment but sticker at WUSTL is a bad deal and everyone would have told you so.

jrthor10

Bronze

Post by jrthor10 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:51 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
ProspectiveStudent69 wrote:Well I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but I recently accepted an offer to attend Wash U. I did it. I went in with the mentality that I was getting out of here and I accomplished my goal. I did not make a lot of friends or get to screw off that much, BUT that shits not important. Getting a high paying law firm job is all that matters to me. So yes, transferring from a T4 to a T1 is possible... You just have to want it. The funny thing is that I probably schooled fools who did far better than me on the LSAT. I just out worked them. Proving once again that the LSAT is just an arbitrary sorting mechanism. I am probably going to attend a better school than many of the people who said I could not do it, so I guess I get the last laugh. :lol: :P :P
You're an idiot. I know you think this is your big "ah ha!" moment but sticker at WUSTL is a bad deal and everyone would have told you so.
Unfortunately your little story does more harm than good--giving people an unrealistic view of transferring.

More importantly, though, I will be interested to see how you do at WUSTL OCI in a few weeks. Most firms don't change their hiring guidelines just because you transferred--i.e. if they weren't going to recruit a valpo student before, they aren't going to do so now.

Good luck getting that "high paying" law firm job, though. There are about 5 firms in Indiana that fit that description, and you have a shot at maybe 2 of them. Best of luck. You'll need it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tskela

Bronze

Post by tskela » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:56 am

Except maybe if you had "outworked" everyone while studying for the LSAT, you wouldn't be paying sticker at WUSTL.

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:39 am

tskela wrote: Except maybe if you had "outworked" everyone while studying for the LSAT, you wouldn't be paying sticker at WUSTL.
BOOM

:lol:

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:04 pm

OP: Congrats on falling prey to two scams, apparently a subtle Valpo 10K scholly scam and the transfer scam. Good job, good effort!

WaltGrace83

Silver

Post by WaltGrace83 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:04 pm

Oh god this thread is back again...can't this thread just be closed, already?

It still seems like retaking the LSAT would have saved you potentially a $100k.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:03 pm

WaltGrace83 wrote:Oh god this thread is back again...can't this thread just be closed, already?

And this is only because OP got the best possible outcome with the path he chose.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:11 pm

jingosaur wrote:
WaltGrace83 wrote:Oh god this thread is back again...can't this thread just be closed, already?

And this is only because OP got the best possible outcome with the path he chose.
Hopefully for their case lightning strikes four times (get an SA, don't fuck it up, survive big law to pay down monstrous debt)
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:11 pm

you've really dug quite a hole for yourself with this whole wustl at sticker scheme
i want to be mad at you for potentially leading others astray, but i actually just feel sad, bc i know that you truly believe this is a decent outcome
sincerely wishing you good luck op

ProspectiveStudent69

New

Post by ProspectiveStudent69 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:14 pm

Why are you assuming that I will be paying sticker to attend? hehehehehehehehe

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:25 pm

Oh lord. For others reading, if by some chance you haven't been convinced already, this is still a bad route, because:

1) Unless the scholly is huge the OP would have saved more money from a retake
2) He is still likely SOL for OCI as a transfer (but sincerely, good luck to you OP)
3) And all else equal they will be at a disadvantage socially

You have achieved, as someone said above, like 1 of 4 unlikely and difficult tasks. Congrats but don't be too proud too soon.

And others still can't apply your one rando person's story generally anyway. So you're trolling hard, man.

InTheHouse

Bronze

Post by InTheHouse » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:26 pm

Just let it go folks. There are always some winners at transfer roulette. Good for OP.

It really isn't OP's fault if someone mistakes this anecdote for data.

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:32 pm

InTheHouse wrote:Just let it go folks. There are always some winners at transfer roulette. Good for OP.

It really isn't OP's fault if someone mistakes this anecdote for data.
I would be much more congratulatory and agree with you if the OP didn't spread objectively false teachings like this:
ProspectiveStudent69 wrote:So yes, transferring from a T4 to a T1 is possible... You just have to want it
That's just being a troll. Plenty of the OP's former and future classmates will "want it" and fail miserably. It's disrespectful and wrong to try to convince others that effort is all you need and any TTT will do.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:40 pm

This thread is great.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”