Consulting -> MBA or Law School?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Lost_Dreams

Consulting -> MBA or Law School?

Postby Lost_Dreams » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:23 pm

Hi everyone.

Last time I was on this site, I asked if going to a T-14 law school (lower T14) at sticker price was good move on my part, giving up my job as a tech consultant.

Background info: I work as a technology consultant at a big consulting shop. (think Accenture, Deloitte, IBM, etc) I just got promoted and make good money (85k a year), hours not too bad (45-50 hours a week on average), coworkers pretty chill, etc, but I just don't like my current job, nor the career as a technology consultant.

The thing is, I just don't have much interest in technology and it pains me to think about all the technology-related ideas, issues, and all that crap on daily basis, as required for a tech consulting role.

I keep day dreaming about going back to school - either a top law school or top MBA and starting a complete new career, as a corporate lawyer, I-banker, business strategy consultant, etc.

I had gotten into UVA law, Cornell law, and G-town law at sticker prices this cycle but decided to drop law school thing for now and re-evaluate my options, due to financial reasons. However, after hard soul-searching last couple of months, I've firmly decided that I will either attend a top law school or top MBA in near future.

In this economy, which option makes more sense, given my personal background? One concern I have with MBA is that the employment outcomes after a top MBA is even harder to predict/ volatile than that of a top law school. I talked to several folks at top tier MBA programs and they all told me that past few years have been absolutely brutal for people trying to get IB or high finance jobs and apparently a lot of folks at top MBA schools go back to their pre-MBA jobs.. which is terrible given the level of investment/ opportunity costs involved in attending a B-school.

So with that in mind, would it be better to consider top tier law school as a potential substitute? If I get into a CCN law school at sticker price (as opposed to UVA law), would it be justifiable to leave my current job to attend? I expect to make over 100k in 2-3 years if I stay on my job, but I just don't want to do this job for much longer.

Any feedbacks welcome.

0831kf

Re: Consulting -> MBA or Law School?

Postby 0831kf » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:57 pm

Financially speaking, unless you get a full-ride to T14, there is absolutely no reason to go to law school. Even if you get big law after graduation, financially, you would be in worse position unless you make a partner or continue to make at least $150K/yr for 20 yrs or longer.

However, if you really do hate your current job and will not continue doing it (like I did), go to lower T14 with near full ride or go to CCN with half-ride. I excluded HYS because you sound like a guy/girl who want to make money than go to prestigious clerkship or bigfed.

If you are a splitter, no matter how much you hate your life, it might be better to stay in your current job. Tell us your GPA/LSAT, other people will give your more advice.

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:59 am

The thing I don't like about an M7 MBA or a T14 law degree is that you might be an out of the frying pan into the fire thing. 45-50 a week is a luxury you'll never see again in Biglaw, and even IB/PE works significantly more brutal hours than that. If your consulting group is expansive enough (i.e, it doesn't just do technology), maybe try and either lateral to a different consulting firm or else try and join one of the clients?

Wouldn't do a non-Harvard/Wharton/Columbia/MIT/Stanford MBA though for sure. Not right now, and not with your current job.

bimmer11

Postby bimmer11 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:57 am

The poster above is right. Strictly from a financial perspective it would take you well over 10 years to break even from lost income and repaying loans (if that's what you're planning). Obviously this could change if you receive partial scholarships, savings, raises, etc.

I've seen quite a few people say go get an MBA instead of a law degree but it is just as rough on the other side. Right now my advice would be to stick it out and set yourself up for a change in a few years. I have a few friends who are consultants and they are ready to walk away for similar reasons. The problem is depending on what area of the country you're in, your options are still fairly limited.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:37 am

On a different note, there are tons of people at my school (NYU) that quit jobs in consulting, banking, engineering, etc to attend law school. Sometimes being satisfied with your professional career is much more than a pure net present value calculation - if you hate what you do, life sucks.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:14 am

thelawyler wrote:On a different note, there are tons of people at my school (NYU) that quit jobs in consulting, banking, engineering, etc to attend law school. Sometimes being satisfied with your professional career is much more than a pure net present value calculation - if you hate what you do, life sucks.

+++++1111111

RoaringMice

Postby RoaringMice » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:56 am

Based on your background, if you were to do the appropriate internships during your MBA, you could move into marketing (esp. for tech), business consulting, general management. Or you could move up into IT management.

In law, you could do patent, if your undergrad is related to tech/science. I understand there is demand for patent attorneys. Intellectual property would also be an option.

It's all about what you want to do next, and why.

An option might be a part-time MBA program, especially if your current employer would help you pay for it. Most part-time MBAs are not in the elite programs, but I believe Kellogg has a weekend/part-time program. NYU also has a part-time program.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:35 am

It's usually not a good idea to go to law school when the opportunity cost of doing so is very high (and with reasonable hours to boot), and it's almost never a good idea to go to law school if you don't really want to practice law.

Sounds like you should figure out what you want--people who claim to have interest in both law and IB are usually (though not always) motivated primarily by money, in which case the math will show that you shouldn't go to law school except under very limited circumstances--I would say nothing besides a CCN full ride. If money isn't your primary goal, you should figure out exactly what you do actually want to do, since it seems you only know what you don't want to do thus far.

guano

Postby guano » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:43 am

As has been stars before, figure out what you want to do. I disagree with the cost part, it won't necessarily take 10 years, although that depends on how much school will cost and what market you will end up in.

My bigger concern is that you don't know what you want to do. You want "something else". Don't go to law school unless you want to be a lawyer. Don't go to business school unless you have a defined plan on what you want to do with your MBA.
The grass is always greener on the other side. If you don't have a clear goal, there's a good chance you will regret it

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:51 am

By working in consulting and having a big firm with name recognition on your resume, you've given yourself a stepping stone to work pretty much anywhere that you want. Think of a company that you'd like to work for and hit them up! I have friends who have left my firm for places like Amazon, Google, Procter & Gamble, etc. for pay hikes of up to 20K/year. You could also just transfer to a different consulting firm that's less IT focused, or transfer within your current firm to the strategy group. If you've had any clients that you liked, depending on your contract, you could always hit them up for a position. Do you really want to give up 3 years of an excellent salary to go to law school and spend a shit ton on tuition? I'm in disbelief that anyone would leave a near 6 figure job where they only work 50 hours/week...I make far less than you at my firm and I work 80/hours...

guano

Postby guano » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:58 am

fallingup wrote:By working in consulting and having a big firm with name recognition on your resume, you've given yourself a stepping stone to work pretty much anywhere that you want. Think of a company that you'd like to work for and hit them up! I have friends who have left my firm for places like Amazon, Google, Procter & Gamble, etc. for pay hikes of up to 20K/year. You could also just transfer to a different consulting firm that's less IT focused, or transfer within your current firm to the strategy group. If you've had any clients that you liked, depending on your contract, you could always hit them up for a position. Do you really want to give up 3 years of an excellent salary to go to law school and spend a shit ton on tuition? I'm in disbelief that anyone would leave a near 6 figure job where they only work 50 hours/week...I make far less than you at my firm and I work 80/hours...

I left a 40 hour job that paid over six figures. Money isn't everything

choculamaviva

Postby choculamaviva » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:11 am

Of course going to law school would get you out of your current rut. But as other posters alluded to, it is unlikely to make you come out ahead financially. I would also say that, regardless of your current sentiments towards your job, BigLaw is unlikely to be the answer. I say this not knowing you, but being aware of the extremely low level of job satisfaction amongst BigLaw associates. I would say your problem could be one of two things:

1) You just realize that corporate-type jobs largely suck and are trying to escape.

thelawyler wrote:On a different note, there are tons of people at my school (NYU) that quit jobs in consulting, banking, engineering, etc to attend law school. Sometimes being satisfied with your professional career is much more than a pure net present value calculation - if you hate what you do, life sucks.

The above quote is very likely an example of "grass is always greener" syndrome. People attend an Ivy League undergrad, do consulting for a couple years, yearn for the freedom they had in school and come running back to law school...because we all know how happy BigLaw associates are. In maybe 5% of the cases, the differences between the two types of work will make the decision a good one. In most cases, they're just blowing money before they jump from the frying pan into the fire. If this is the problem, law school will not help.

2) You dislike your niche and need to develop a different skill set to break out. In this case, I would get an MBA, as the overall cost/time is lower and the exit options are more diverse. I'm still not convinced the move makes sense financially, but it may allow you to pursue other paths such as MBB consulting that would be difficult to get to from where you are now. I would also note that I've never looked at top MBA placement stats from a percentage basis. See what percentage of people get shut out of MBB, IB, or PE. A bigger question, as previously mentioned, is whether you could gradually transition from your current job to something less tech-oriented without going back to school. If so, do that.

I say all this assuming you can get into either a CCN or a top MBA. While the "don't go to law school unless you want to be a lawyer" advice is sound, it's also difficult to act on, apart from possibly working as a biglaw paralegal for a year to gain some insight into the work. More to the point, you likely won't know whether you would enjoy it until you've already committed 3 years and a large amount of money. And statistically speaking, it is unlikely you will enjoy it.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:15 am

Lost_Dreams wrote:I had gotten into UVA law, Cornell law, and G-town law at sticker prices this cycle but decided to drop law school thing for now and re-evaluate my options, due to financial reasons. However, after hard soul-searching last couple of months, I've firmly decided that I will either attend a top law school or top MBA in near future.

Are you a splitter? If so it makes it tough to argue for law school here.

EDIT: Just saw from another thread you're a 3.1/172. I just don't see how law school makes sense although I can certainly sympathize with your predicament.

JJ123

Postby JJ123 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:30 am

You already have IT skills that are incredibly valuable. If you don't like your work, switch to a different area of IT. Or try to become an IT manager, or...anything other than law.

You make as much per hour as many beginning biglaw asssociates.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:32 am

Just as an FYI, it's pretty hard for people in the OP's position (I'm in almost literally the exact same position minus the splitter part) to transition career paths without grad school once on his/her current path. The demand for young professionals to do this menial/boring work is incredibly high and contracts are normally pretty long term. From my experience and the experiences of my coworkers, about 50% get out after 3 years and most of them transition to a smaller, lesser know firm where they know somebody and are doing the same job or are hired by the client to do the exact same thing that they were doing as a consultant. It's literally impossible to get another job through any means other than your direct network. About 90% of the online job postings for relevant jobs are fake and larger companies normally look to fill up their positions through university hires because it's cheaper.

Lost_Dreams

Postby Lost_Dreams » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:27 pm

0831kf wrote:Financially speaking, unless you get a full-ride to T14, there is absolutely no reason to go to law school. Even if you get big law after graduation, financially, you would be in worse position unless you make a partner or continue to make at least $150K/yr for 20 yrs or longer.

However, if you really do hate your current job and will not continue doing it (like I did), go to lower T14 with near full ride or go to CCN with half-ride. I excluded HYS because you sound like a guy/girl who want to make money than go to prestigious clerkship or bigfed.

If you are a splitter, no matter how much you hate your life, it might be better to stay in your current job. Tell us your GPA/LSAT, other people will give your more advice.

Thanks for the input. I agree with your analysis that attending a top law school at sticker price entails a great deal of financial risk in my case, involving large opportunity costs.

My stats are 3.1 GPA (in econ from an Ivy) and 172 LSAT. I have about 3 years of work experience..

If I improve my LSAT score, would I be in the running for potential large enough of a scholly from a T14 school to justify my attendance at a law school? I applied to T14's this year, but didn't get any scholarship.

Last couple of projects for me, I had clients from financial services, such as large investment banks or big hedge funds. Working for these clients solidified my desire even further to seek a career that is more 'Front Office-ish", such as structuring large, complex deals on Wall St, analyzing M&A, being involved with sophisticated analysis at high and detailed levels, while making a shit load of money.

As a technology consultant, I just go analyze clients' business operations and help configure IT systems according to clients' needs. Mainly, I work for corporations' IT departments. The longer I stay in my career, the more I feel trapped in 'Back-office' job function, just 'supporting' clients' (such as banks) bottom line, not actually running the show (I-bankers, Strategy Consultants, or top Corporate M&A lawyers)

Not to mention, I find IT stuff to be pretty boring and have tried to like it, but can't seem to like it for the past 3 years..(I was an econ major)

Looking at bios of many successful executives, I see bios of people with top MBA's or top JD's. For example, CEO of Goldman was a JD who worked at an M&A law firm before transitioning out to IB on the sell side. Many executives in F500, PE, etc were top JD's or MBA's who started their careers in top notch corporate law firms or IB, doing transactional M&A analysis. Nowadays, I keep day-dreaming about attending a top grad school (MBA or JD), starting out my career in top corporate law firm or IB or top Mgmt Consulting firm, network and work my ass off, and see the full potential of my capability, earning potential, and my career.

Lost_Dreams

Postby Lost_Dreams » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:30 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:The thing I don't like about an M7 MBA or a T14 law degree is that you might be an out of the frying pan into the fire thing. 45-50 a week is a luxury you'll never see again in Biglaw, and even IB/PE works significantly more brutal hours than that. If your consulting group is expansive enough (i.e, it doesn't just do technology), maybe try and either lateral to a different consulting firm or else try and join one of the clients?

Wouldn't do a non-Harvard/Wharton/Columbia/MIT/Stanford MBA though for sure. Not right now, and not with your current job.

My firm has a Management Consulting practice as well as Technology Consulting practice. I've been trying to switch out into the Mgmt Consulting division at my firm, to no avail.

I went to a happy hour event at my firm about 6 months ago, and grabbed a beer with a manager from my firm's Management Consulting division. He outright told me that without a top notch MBA, it would be close to impossible for me to make the kind of switch I am looking at.

The primary reasons, as he told me, is that the skill sets built in two different areas of consulting are vastly different, not to mention that the Management Consulting divisions adopt a much higher barrier of entry in filling out their fresh analyst classes. As a result, without a major inflection point (top MBA, top JD, etc), it would be a very long-shot for me to make that kind of move.

twenty

Postby twenty » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Ehh, sounds like you're kind of stuck otherwise, then. Study hard for the GMAT, maybe apply in a few months?

Lost_Dreams

Postby Lost_Dreams » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:36 pm

choculamaviva wrote:Of course going to law school would get you out of your current rut. But as other posters alluded to, it is unlikely to make you come out ahead financially. I would also say that, regardless of your current sentiments towards your job, BigLaw is unlikely to be the answer. I say this not knowing you, but being aware of the extremely low level of job satisfaction amongst BigLaw associates. I would say your problem could be one of two things:

1) You just realize that corporate-type jobs largely suck and are trying to escape.

The above quote is very likely an example of "grass is always greener" syndrome. People attend an Ivy League undergrad, do consulting for a couple years, yearn for the freedom they had in school and come running back to law school...because we all know how happy BigLaw associates are. In maybe 5% of the cases, the differences between the two types of work will make the decision a good one. In most cases, they're just blowing money before they jump from the frying pan into the fire. If this is the problem, law school will not help.

2) You dislike your niche and need to develop a different skill set to break out. In this case, I would get an MBA, as the overall cost/time is lower and the exit options are more diverse. I'm still not convinced the move makes sense financially, but it may allow you to pursue other paths such as MBB consulting that would be difficult to get to from where you are now. I would also note that I've never looked at top MBA placement stats from a percentage basis. See what percentage of people get shut out of MBB, IB, or PE. A bigger question, as previously mentioned, is whether you could gradually transition from your current job to something less tech-oriented without going back to school. If so, do that.

I say all this assuming you can get into either a CCN or a top MBA. While the "don't go to law school unless you want to be a lawyer" advice is sound, it's also difficult to act on, apart from possibly working as a biglaw paralegal for a year to gain some insight into the work. More to the point, you likely won't know whether you would enjoy it until you've already committed 3 years and a large amount of money. And statistically speaking, it is unlikely you will enjoy it.

Maybe I am being confused here, but doesn't a stint in transactional law at a top notch corporate law firm give you a chance to lateral out to I-banking, or F500's in main front-office departments?

I am obviously also considering MBA, but I've heard the employment outcomes for top MBA's are even murkier than that of top JD's. Many people at top MBA's strike out at OCI for Finance or Strategy Consulting and just go back to their old jobs pre-MBA, which would fucking suck.

If I get into a top 10 MBA and top 10 JD, which would be better for my career?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:39 pm

How many jobs have to applied for that are more like what you would want out of an MBA program? Are you really stuck due to what you've worked on so far?

Lost_Dreams

Postby Lost_Dreams » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:46 pm

IAFG wrote:How many jobs have to applied for that are more like what you would want out of an MBA program? Are you really stuck due to what you've worked on so far?

Lots. Most I-banks I apply to don't even respond to my applications. Applying on-line for these competitive jobs is a black hole.. unless you know a partner or MD at the firm, it's unlikely to land an interview given my non-finance background.

The problem with Mgmt Consulting and I-banking is that they have a very standardized way of recruiting their analysts or associates. They mostly hire straight from top colleges or top MBA's and rarely hires anyone outside of these recruiting channels, unless an applicant has solid relevant work experience and has connections.

I've heard that the work experience in M&A corporate law can get you to lateral out to many different areas, such as I-banking, strategy consulting, or F500.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:17 pm

Lost_Dreams wrote:
IAFG wrote:How many jobs have to applied for that are more like what you would want out of an MBA program? Are you really stuck due to what you've worked on so far?

Lots. Most I-banks I apply to don't even respond to my applications. Applying on-line for these competitive jobs is a black hole.. unless you know a partner or MD at the firm, it's unlikely to land an interview given my non-finance background.

The problem with Mgmt Consulting and I-banking is that they have a very standardized way of recruiting their analysts or associates. They mostly hire straight from top colleges or top MBA's and rarely hires anyone outside of these recruiting channels, unless an applicant has solid relevant work experience and has connections.

I've heard that the work experience in M&A corporate law can get you to lateral out to many different areas, such as I-banking, strategy consulting, or F500.

yea this is all credited. you can't just apply to these companies via their websites or send them your resume. its all on campus recruiting events (at certain select colleges/universities/b-schools) in a several week period, or via some extremely well connected individuals

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:49 pm

I wasn't really imagining you'd get McKinsey, but I worry that if your background isn't consistent with your goals, M7 can only help you so much.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:13 pm

For what I've been told, MBAs are largely networking opportunities, and most of the people coming in have very solid work experience that will help them in getting those good jobs upon graduation. I would guess the best option would be to go get the necessary math prerequisites and then get a masters in finance/financial engineering/mathematical finance/etc from a top school like Princeton, Berkeley, Columbia, NYU, Stanford, Chicago, MIT and Carnegie Mellon. Those, I believe, are more geared toward people with very little work experience. They'll probably get you entry level jobs as a financial analyst, though the best students at Princeton may be able to get better stuff. But the important thing is you should be able to get relevant work experience in finance with decent pay, and a chance to work your way up a bit. Then later on, once you've sort of topped out as a quant and have a lot of experience, going to an M7 may do more for you in trying to get into a higher managerial position in finance.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:07 pm

untar614 wrote:For what I've been told, MBAs are largely networking opportunities, and most of the people coming in have very solid work experience that will help them in getting those good jobs upon graduation. I would guess the best option would be to go get the necessary math prerequisites and then get a masters in finance/financial engineering/mathematical finance/etc from a top school like Princeton, Berkeley, Columbia, NYU, Stanford, Chicago, MIT and Carnegie Mellon. Those, I believe, are more geared toward people with very little work experience. They'll probably get you entry level jobs as a financial analyst, though the best students at Princeton may be able to get better stuff. But the important thing is you should be able to get relevant work experience in finance with decent pay, and a chance to work your way up a bit. Then later on, once you've sort of topped out as a quant and have a lot of experience, going to an M7 may do more for you in trying to get into a higher managerial position in finance.

This makes sense and its a solid explanation of the distinction, although clearly getting your BA or BS in math/econ/stats/finance would avoid the redundant masters. I would go for a Ph.D fellowship(fully paid with generous stipend) in Economics at HYPSCC if you have the grades and profs for LoRs, then take terminal MA after 2 years and leaving for a position in finance (these programs are well connected). Then you'll have the pedigree and job for free. Paying $100K for a masters that teaches you undergraduate work -- someone mentioned black sholes, we did that in metrics II -- seems a bit trite. Id be hard pressed to advise it unless you are doing the jd anyway and its the same cost (dual).

The MBA is for people who have completed their entry level experience and need to transition to a higher level in the same line of work, or who seek to shift (obviously this is more challenging). Remember the plurality of every top b-school ends up in consulting anyway.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”