AU Washington College of Law v. U of Minnesota Law School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: AU Washington College of Law v. U of Minnesota Law School

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:49 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
dr123 wrote:WTF does International Corporate even mean?
0830: Wake up in stately 16th Century hotel in Zurich. Kiss beautiful Russian model you met last night goodbye.

0930: Breakfast at cafe overlooking the clear waters of Lake Zurich. Read the Financial Times and chuckle about their shoddy reporting on a deal you headlined last week.

1000: Take high-speed train to Paris, fielding conference calls from several CEOs and bankers.

1100: Negotiate $13 million merger between US company and European conglomerate. Everyone speaks English with a broken accent, of course, so you can understand all the documents and the negotiations.

1230: Lunch with other International Corporate Lawyers at International Corporate Lawyer Club, everyone, of course, speaking English with a broken accent.

1400: Fly to the Hague for some pro-bono work. By 1500, you've convicted a genocidal African dictator of every war crime imaginable. He curses you in broken English. A hundred survivors from the village he attacked gift your their ceremonial hunting horn. The chief's beautiful, Oxford educated daughter, who you've been working closely with, flashes you a flirtatious smile.

1730: Return to London office of International Corporate Law Firm. Exchange witty banter with secretary. Get dressed down by your curmudgeonly boss.

1900: High-stakes Baccarat game at Monte Carlo with head of European finance ministry. After beating him, he agrees to relax certain disclosure requirements for IPOs. Also he pays for champagne (in broken English) and you party with Russian model and African chief's daughter.

2300: Returning to hotel, concierge informs you of a call. Picking up, you hear "Mr. Corporate Lawyer, this is our fifth call. You've missed the last three payments on your student loans. If you'd like to discuss repayment options, you can contact me at 1-800-FANTASY."

You wake up in a cold sweat, and realize you have less than 20 minutes to get dressed, shower, and get to your document review job in a warehouse in New Jersey. Think about going back to law school for the "International Law LLM."
Easy 180 would read again.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:15 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
0830: Wake up in stately 16th Century hotel in Zurich. Kiss beautiful Russian model you met last night goodbye.

0930: Breakfast at cafe overlooking the clear waters of Lake Zurich. Read the Financial Times and chuckle about their shoddy reporting on a deal you headlined last week.

1000: Take high-speed train to Paris, fielding conference calls from several CEOs and bankers.

1100: Negotiate $13 million merger between US company and European conglomerate. Everyone speaks English with a broken accent, of course, so you can understand all the documents and the negotiations.

1230: Lunch with other International Corporate Lawyers at International Corporate Lawyer Club, everyone, of course, speaking English with a broken accent.

1400: Fly to the Hague for some pro-bono work. By 1500, you've convicted a genocidal African dictator of every war crime imaginable. He curses you in broken English. A hundred survivors from the village he attacked gift your their ceremonial hunting horn. The chief's beautiful, Oxford educated daughter, who you've been working closely with, flashes you a flirtatious smile.

1730: Return to London office of International Corporate Law Firm. Exchange witty banter with secretary. Get dressed down by your curmudgeonly boss.

1900: High-stakes Baccarat game at Monte Carlo with head of European finance ministry. After beating him, he agrees to relax certain disclosure requirements for IPOs. Also he pays for champagne (in broken English) and you party with Russian model and African chief's daughter.
t
2300: Returning to hotel, concierge informs you of a call. Picking up, you hear "Mr. Corporate Lawyer, this is our fifth call. You've missed the last three payments on your student loans. If you'd like to discuss repayment options, you can contact me at 1-800-FANTASY."

You wake up in a cold sweat, and realize you have less than 20 minutes to get dressed, shower, and get to your document review job in a warehouse in New Jersey. Think about going back to law school for the "International Law LLM."
Easy 180 would read again.
all solid except the Zurich -> paris SNCF is about 4 hours, not one.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:44 pm

I feel like adding "international" to things makes it sound more prestigious and interesting. But I don't get it either.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:36 pm

Nice, timbs :lol:

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:12 pm

I know a fair amount of T10 grads who do international corporate work. It's not nearly as glamorous as it sounds.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:01 pm

Nova wrote:Nice, timbs :lol:
Thanks. Will make it into a series with "constitutional" "sports" or "entertainment" lawyers when some 0L posts those threads.

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:39 am

worldtraveler wrote:I know a fair amount of T10 grads who do international corporate work. It's not nearly as glamorous as it sounds.
This. All "international" corporate work means is that there are even more ways for a deal to crater and someone is ALWAYS awake and wanting something turned in the next hour.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:18 am

TooOld4This wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:I know a fair amount of T10 grads who do international corporate work. It's not nearly as glamorous as it sounds.
This. All "international" corporate work means is that there are even more ways for a deal to crater and someone is ALWAYS awake and wanting something turned in the next hour.
I went to Stockholm and spent 4 days inside a conference room. Worst experience ever.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:02 pm

timbs4339 wrote:

1100: Negotiate $13 billion merger between US company and European conglomerate. Everyone speaks English with a broken accent, of course, so you can understand all the documents and the negotiations.

Probably the best post I've seen on TLS, dude.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:19 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:

1100: Negotiate $13 billion merger between US company and European conglomerate. Everyone speaks English with a broken accent, of course, so you can understand all the documents and the negotiations.

+1 I'm willing to say I want to do sports law to see the next post in the series.

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:43 pm

timbs4339 wrote:words
tyft

schrutefarms

New

Post by schrutefarms » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:10 pm

timbs that was incredible. I want more.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:13 am

timbs4339 wrote:
Thanks. Will make it into a series with "constitutional" "sports" or "entertainment" lawyers when some 0L posts those threads.
Please make one for my GC at a Private Equity firm while also being an investment professional pipe dream.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:16 am

goldbh7 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
Please make one for my GC at a Private Equity firm while also being an investment professional pipe dream.
And environmental law

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:19 pm

timbs4339 wrote:

Glad I finally read this thread. Well done.

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:04 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:

Standing Ovation for this poast.

InferenceOptional

New

Post by InferenceOptional » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:58 pm

ronanOgara wrote:I've gotta ask, when you say you are okay with moving because you've lived in London, are we talking about studying abroad in London or are we talking about actually living and working in London.

I'm not trying to sound snooty here, I'm just merely interested in what "I've lived in London" means.
He probably had gay sex when he was abroad in London, and is craving more cheerio.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:00 pm

timbs4339 wrote: Awesome post
My favorite part is how he was able to incorporate bottles and models into a fairly productive day of lawyering. TLS knowledge dictates that bottles and models and lawyering are really the only two reasons to go to law school.

BentleyLittle

Bronze

Post by BentleyLittle » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:17 pm

timbs4339 wrote:

I was randomly browsing and came across this post. Don't know how I missed this gem!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:26 pm

I am eagerly awaiting sequels

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:38 pm

Nova wrote:I am eagerly awaiting sequels
Unless all 0Ls got together and decided not to be stupid this year, it'll happen.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:01 am

timbs4339 wrote:
Nova wrote:I am eagerly awaiting sequels
Unless all 0Ls got together and decided not to be stupid this year, it'll happen.
Just registerd as a 0L (LSAT tomorrow, :shock: )

You just put more pressure on me than that pesky test.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:12 pm

schrutefarms wrote:timbs that was incredible. I want more.
:lol: Agreed....anxiously awaiting sports/entertainment law.

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:29 pm

both top 20 schools...
UMN is much cheaper and will become 25,000 once you become a resident, which should affect 2L and 3L. But will cost more unless you get a scholarship.
Washington U does better for biglaw+A3 and is reported at 26.3 vs. 17.8.

I would go with Washington U until i found out if UMN offers any money. Either way WU is the stronger school

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:03 pm

Srsyl?

AMERICAN

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”