Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Please vote for my decision

Depaul School of Law
77%
Charlotte School of Law
23%

Total votes: 13

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:27 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Paul Campos

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby Paul Campos » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:39 pm

OP is a non-native speaker with poor English skills, who has zero chance of being a lawyer. He/she is being defrauded by a straight up scam of a law school, which would be shut down instantly in any reasonable regulatory regime. OP is also lighting $150,000 of his/her grandfather's money on fire, instead of putting it to any of an unlimited number of better uses.

If hurting the OP's feelings helps open his/her eyes, all the better. If not, maybe somebody else will be deterred from making similar decisions. Those of you who put more value on being "nice" to people than on leveling with them in a straightforward way ought to spend some time reading the Vale of Tears thread, which right now is featuring a couple or three overtly suicidal posts per week.

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:13 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:34 pm

Basically, OP needs to work on his/her English and re-take the LSAT. Do these things actively and adamantly. That's what should be taken from this thread.

I agree with Campos in the sense that the ends may justify the means in this case. Though there are probably ways to go about saving someone from Hell that don't involve demeaning the person. The language he used to make his criticism(s) was a bit strong.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:36 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:Can you do this? Like if you just screw up one year can you jusst drop out and start over at some other law school?

I think you have to wait five years to go back once you get grades.

InferenceOptional

Postby InferenceOptional » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:44 pm

I do not have an issue with it. Anyone can get better with English. He's not attacking OP for being dyslexic, speaking with a lisp, stuttering, or whatever. He's attacking him for poor grammar skills, and grammar is learned - read more, write more, etc.

I thought providing honest feedback to those you are counseling, and not lying to clients is one of the hallmarks of the legal profession. Is it better to be a nice guy committing malpractice than an honest counselor? Most importantly, is Paul Campos really the Paul Campos?

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:56 pm

Paul Campos wrote:This person can't write anything even vaguely resembling grammatical English, but two ABA law schools are perfectly happy to take his or her money. Hopefully bar examiners will keep this individual from being let loose upon an unsuspecting public armed with a license to practice law, but I wouldn't necessarily bet on that either.

Maybe this person does really well on multiple choice questions.

TurtlesAllTheWayDown

Postby TurtlesAllTheWayDown » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:09 pm

Paul Campos wrote:OP is a non-native speaker with poor English skills, who has zero chance of being a lawyer. He/she is being defrauded by a straight up scam of a law school, which would be shut down instantly in any reasonable regulatory regime. OP is also lighting $150,000 of his/her grandfather's money on fire, instead of putting it to any of an unlimited number of better uses.

If hurting the OP's feelings helps open his/her eyes, all the better. If not, maybe somebody else will be deterred from making similar decisions. Those of you who put more value on being "nice" to people than on leveling with them in a straightforward way ought to spend some time reading the Vale of Tears thread, which right now is featuring a couple or three overtly suicidal posts per week.

So, you think your first post was "leveling with them in a straightfoward way?" Or, was your thought behind the first post, "Gee, Paul, you should really be a dick to this kid, and let's hope against hope that it maybe opens his/her eyes?"

It seems like a message delivered in earnest from someone in your position would do a great deal more good than being a snarky asshole. Your message seems more likely to fall on deaf ears when delivered in your charming little way. Maybe you just needed the catharsis, but it doesn't look good on you. You're fucking up your brand, dawg.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:13 pm

*Apologizes for abominable grammar as a 0L*

*Trashes resumes with typos as a senior attorney*

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:19 pm

I admit I was harsher than was necessary.

This was one of those last straw type moments: --LinkRemoved--

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:27 pm

InferenceOptional wrote:I do not have an issue with it. Anyone can get better with English. He's not attacking OP for being dyslexic, speaking with a lisp, stuttering, or whatever. He's attacking him for poor grammar skills, and grammar is learned - read more, write more, etc.

I thought providing honest feedback to those you are counseling, and not lying to clients is one of the hallmarks of the legal profession. Is it better to be a nice guy committing malpractice than an honest counselor? Most importantly, is Paul Campos really the Paul Campos?

TLS mods have verified that it is him

Postby 20141023 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:32 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChardPennington

Postby ChardPennington » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:37 pm

Original Posting,

Listen to me, Chard P., because you are reminding me much of self at formative stage of zero-L, yes? English was not main language of Chard home country, but am now much success in making lawyer, dive nighly from hood of Maserati into veritable Vesuvius of stipper and cocaine, yes? OK, OK, is actually Ford Fusion, but still, point stand, yes?

Many people say be lawyer is nothing but using words for intended purpose, make proper punctuations and such, but I, Chard P., say is not so. Grammar is last refuge of limp-wristed academic, could never make surivivng in tough world of Eastern Bloc. To me lawyer is to be truly man, hair busting from chest, make smaller testicle of lesser men orbit around own testicle, yes?

Make much going to DePaul, and good luck.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:42 pm

Paul Campos wrote:I admit I was harsher than was necessary.

Professor Campos, I don't necessarily object to the use of harsh language to get a point across--I do it all the time. Nor do I think it's necessarily reasonable for someone to expect you to be "above the fray" simply because of your position. I do, however, think your position leaves you liable to accusations from the other greedy narcissists professors of elitism/wanting to deny access to the disadvantaged. In that respect, it would be better to be a voice for the macro-level failings of TTT schools in general than to act in a way that seems insensitive (even if you may be right).

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:47 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:I admit I was harsher than was necessary.

Professor Campos, I don't necessarily object to the use of harsh language to get a point across--I do it all the time. Nor do I think it's necessarily reasonable for someone to expect you to be "above the fray" simply because of your position. I do, however, think your position leaves you liable to accusations from the other greedy narcissists professors of elitism/wanting to deny access to the disadvantaged. In that respect, it would be better to be a voice for the macro-level failings of TTT schools in general than to act in a way that seems insensitive (even if you may be right).

Your point is well taken.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:53 pm

ChardPennington wrote:Grammar is last refuge of limp-wristed academic, could never make surivivng in tough world of Eastern Bloc. To me lawyer is to be truly man, hair busting from chest, make smaller testicle of lesser men orbit around own testicle, yes?

GOLD

chup

Postby chup » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:01 pm

ChardPennington wrote:Original Posting,

Listen to me, Chard P., because you are reminding me much of self at formative stage of zero-L, yes? English was not main language of Chard home country, but am now much success in making lawyer, dive nighly from hood of Maserati into veritable Vesuvius of stipper and cocaine, yes? OK, OK, is actually Ford Fusion, but still, point stand, yes?

Many people say be lawyer is nothing but using words for intended purpose, make proper punctuations and such, but I, Chard P., say is not so. Grammar is last refuge of limp-wristed academic, could never make surivivng in tough world of Eastern Bloc. To me lawyer is to be truly man, hair busting from chest, make smaller testicle of lesser men orbit around own testicle, yes?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:02 pm

chup wrote:
ChardPennington wrote:Original Posting,

Hehe

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:26 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Charlotte is in North Carolina, which is probably less insular since it has more centers of business/industry/tech that draws people from all over the country.

That said, going to Charlotte School of Law is still a horrible idea.

Oops. I guess should have been sleeping at that point. I was thinking about Charleston School of Law -- another (soon-to-be) InfiLaw dungheap.

Postby 20141023 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:02 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:03 pm

goldbh7 wrote:Okay, after rereading the posts, OP's English is much worse than I initially though. I've gotten used to phasing out ESL grammar from working with developers in India and Europe on a daily basis for two years.

You have to respect OP's post-appropriate avatar though.

I did the same thing. I didn't realize how bad it was until I just re-read the original post.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:01 pm

You've got to wonder if the schools even glance at the writing sample, forget read it. This isn't a criticism of the applicant, but it's a major criticism of the schools.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:39 pm

Otunga wrote:You've got to wonder if the schools even glance at the writing sample, forget read it. This isn't a criticism of the applicant, but it's a major criticism of the schools.

Top 14s don't read them either, braj.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:47 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
Otunga wrote:You've got to wonder if the schools even glance at the writing sample, forget read it. This isn't a criticism of the applicant, but it's a major criticism of the schools.

I didn't mean to exclude them in my comment.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:58 pm

Otunga wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:

I didn't mean to exclude them in my comment.

Ok then why is not reading a PS such a big deal?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”