Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Please vote for my decision

Depaul School of Law
10
77%
Charlotte School of Law
3
23%
 
Total votes: 13

User avatar
Need Help Here
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:09 am

Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby Need Help Here » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:33 am

I have been finished 1st year in Charlotte School of Law and I took my chance for applying transfer. I have been accepted by Depaul Law but I am now wondering if I should go to Depaul Law. Since I searched much information online and different people's reviews messed me up. Here, I respectfully ask for suggestions, should I stay in Charlotte Law or go to Depaul Law.

Here is some basic information:
Charlotte Law: no schoolarship, unranked school, since it is a new law school just got fully accreditation on 2011, located in Charlotte which is not a big city
Depaul Law: I got $16,000 scholarship total for next two years, ranked#89 and down to #103 this year (but someone told me the rank may change dramatically every year, especially for the school lower than #50), located in Chicago.

Note: do not take too much consideration on the schoolarship, since I got the fully support from my grandfather.

Please, please, please help me!!! :o :o :o

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby 20141023 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:45 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:56 am

My sincere advice would be to leave law school. Both of these schools have truly horrible placement numbers. USNWR rank means absolutely nothing at this level. The only thing that matters is job placement.

If you insist on attending one of the two, we'll need to know where you have ties, where you want to work, and what kind of work you want (be realistic). Please tell me that you didn't just show up in South Carolina without substantial preexisting ties to the state. If a JD from that school can get you a job at all, it's only going to place you locally, and that itself will be highly dependent on whether you have prior ties to this ultra-insular state. DePaul will be a similar story. If you're not from either area, run from law school. And it would be best if you did that regardless.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4143
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:57 am

Charlotte is in North Carolina, which is probably less insular since it has more centers of business/industry/tech that draws people from all over the country.

That said, going to Charlotte School of Law is still a horrible idea.

User avatar
Need Help Here
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:09 am

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby Need Help Here » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:59 am

Thank you, this really help. My family has ties in both places. But I am thinking is it better to go to a big city like Chicago, which may have bigger market and more opportunities?

Ti Malice wrote:My sincere advice would be to leave law school. Both of these schools have truly horrible placement numbers. USNWR rank means absolutely nothing at this level. The only thing that matters is job placement.

If you insist on attending one of the two, we'll need to know where you have ties, where you want to work, and what kind of work you want (be realistic). Please tell me that you didn't just show up in South Carolina without substantial preexisting ties to the state. If a JD from that school can get you a job at all, it's only going to place you locally, and that itself will be highly dependent on whether you have prior ties to this ultra-insular state. DePaul will be a similar story. If you're not from either area, run from law school. And it would be best if you did that regardless.

User avatar
Need Help Here
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:09 am

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby Need Help Here » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:00 am

Thanks for the comments, but if choose one from the two which one you think maybe better?

TheSpanishMain wrote:Charlotte is in North Carolina, which is probably less insular since it has more centers of business/industry/tech that draws people from all over the country.

That said, going to Charlotte School of Law is still a horrible idea.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4143
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:18 am

I don't think either is a good choice, but gun to head, if I HAD to choose between the two...I guess Depaul. Their employment numbers are slightly better, although still atrocious. Chicago has more opportunities, sure...but there are also multiple better law schools there, and plenty of people who want to work in Chicago who will gobble up those opportunities long before you get to them. You're also going to spend more on COL in Chicago.

But yeah, really, both are bad options. This is like asking if it's better to hit by a car going 60 mph or 65 mph.

Paul Campos
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby Paul Campos » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:45 am

This person can't write anything even vaguely resembling grammatical English, but two ABA law schools are perfectly happy to take his or her money. Hopefully bar examiners will keep this individual from being let loose upon an unsuspecting public armed with a license to practice law, but I wouldn't necessarily bet on that either.

dstars823
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby dstars823 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:46 am

your best bet is to go to depaul bc charlotte has almost no network and repore in and around charlotte. Also, youll be competing against UNC, wake, Vanderbilt, Georgia, Emory for the better jobs in NC

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:52 am

Yeah this is either flame or a person shouldn't be parted from their money, regardless of their own intelligence, in exchange for your legal counseling. Fuck, they shouldn't get you for free.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby kwais » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:59 am

Both. I think you should go to both. The commute will be tough but you will persevere.

californiauser
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby californiauser » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:28 am

Dropout, retake the lsat, and reapply for law school next year.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:12 pm

Paul Campos wrote:This person can't write anything even vaguely resembling grammatical English, but two ABA law schools are perfectly happy to take his or her money. Hopefully bar examiners will keep this individual from being let loose upon an unsuspecting public armed with a license to practice law, but I wouldn't necessarily bet on that either.


With respect, your penchant for harassing potential JD students on the internet about their choices seems increasingly inappropriate. I agree with the problems you are outlining, just as we've all read your book and nodded along, but this is just rude. Maybe you are projecting from the painful illiteracy of your own students at CU? Bad semester? Oh, woe is the overeducated legal academic forced by the weight of his own pervesity to assault the grammar of a 24 year old student! I would stick to blogging on ITLSS over harassment.

OP, I would probably leave law school in your position and save your grandparents' money. Use it to start a business. If you must choose, DePaul is the better selection: at least they offer some scholarship and have more established alumni to speak of (although I doubt that will help you). I sincerely wish you had asked a year ago so we could tell you to retake the LSAT and reapply. Best of luck to you

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2222
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby jingosaur » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:16 pm

Yeah, I have a lot of respect for what Paul Campos has done, but talking down to kids based on their internet grammar is a little bit over the top.

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby nothingtosee » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:26 pm

Paul Campos wrote:This person can't write anything even vaguely resembling grammatical English, but two ABA law schools are perfectly happy to take his or her money. Hopefully bar examiners will keep this individual from being let loose upon an unsuspecting public armed with a license to practice law, but I wouldn't necessarily bet on that either.


Wait, this is the real Paul Campos? I assumed it was like choosing the name Dr. Dre. If that's the case, professor:
1. This hurts your ethos. It's hard to resist calling you bro or dude when you present yourself like a 20 year old.
2. You can't really think this is an effective rhetorical technique, so now you're just being an asshole.
3. If your point is to be a voice crying out in the wilderness, you do you. But if you want to make humans' lives a little bit better, some empathy and consideration will give you more effective results.

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:31 pm

californiauser wrote:Dropout, retake the lsat, and reapply for law school next year.


Can you do this? Like if you just screw up one year can you jusst drop out and start over at some other law school? Oh and Paul Campos is a jerk.

Paul Campos
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby Paul Campos » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:45 pm

This person can't write in English. At all. This isn't a case of a sloppy mistake or three, but rather an inability to actually write in the English language. I very much doubt English is the OP's first language. Now I'm all for people for whom English is a second language (I'm actually such a person) going to American law schools, as long as they become reasonably fluent in English before doing so. Is this now a controversial position? Should we be providing "access" (usually at taxpayer expense, although apparently not in this case) to law school to people who aren't even fluent in English?

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby 20141023 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:46 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby Samara » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:54 pm

Paul Campos wrote:This person can't write in English. At all. This isn't a case of a sloppy mistake or three, but rather an inability to actually write in the English language. I very much doubt English is the OP's first language. Now I'm all for people for whom English is a second language (I'm actually such a person) going to American law schools, as long as they become reasonably fluent in English before doing so. Is this now a controversial position? Should we be providing "access" (usually at taxpayer expense, although apparently not in this case) to law school to people who aren't even fluent in English?

Huh, interesting. What is your first language?

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2222
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby jingosaur » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:55 pm

Okay, after rereading the posts, OP's English is much worse than I initially though. I've gotten used to phasing out ESL grammar from working with developers in India and Europe on a daily basis for two years.

You have to respect OP's post-appropriate avatar though.

BigZuck
Posts: 10875
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby BigZuck » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:56 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:To be honest, I was about to point out the OP's atrocious grammar if Campos hadn't. Even if it is the Internet, one should still be able to use proper grammar if they're asking about their future on a law school forum.

(OP, are you a native English speaker?)
*EDIT: Haha Campos asked the same thing. :P


+1

He did it in an overly dickish way and that was unneccesary but I also agree with his overall main point here.

californiauser
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby californiauser » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:25 pm

Campos is right. If you can't spend 45 seconds crafting a readable post for people trying to help you make a life altering decision, you probably shouldn't be attending law school, let alone a TTTT.

It's not like OP used "h8" instead of spelling out "hate," he/she downright cannot produce coherent sentences.

User avatar
Otunga
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby Otunga » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:28 pm

I think that many of us have more or less 'phased out' poor grammar. And I don't mean poor grammar as used by ESL learners, but poor grammar as used by native speakers. Our expectations have just lowered, and so rather than telling such and such person to improve their grammar before even considering law school, we accept the poor grammar and just tell them to score high on the LSAT, as after all, the portion that requires adequate grammar isn't scored. And technically speaking, one can get a high GPA without a strong command of grammar - just major in a foreign language! Now, this person will undoubtedly struggle with the writing sample, so it's doubtful they'll make HYS, but they've got a chance everywhere else.

Anyway, in the case of an ESL student, I say this person should be admitted to law school so long as their command of the language is adequate. They need not be expressive - just adequate. And if their command is inadequate prior to law school, then I'd hope they work on their command before law school begins as well as throughout it. No doubt this person will struggle in law school, but I'd say that as long as they're bright and are capable of quickly improving, let them in. This is a big assumption, and may not hold in most cases, but there's no sense in admitting someone who just has no hope of using English well enough within... a year or so.
Last edited by Otunga on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby Pneumonia » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:31 pm

BigZuck wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:To be honest, I was about to point out the OP's atrocious grammar if Campos hadn't. Even if it is the Internet, one should still be able to use proper grammar if they're asking about their future on a law school forum.

(OP, are you a native English speaker?)
*EDIT: Haha Campos asked the same thing. :P


+1

He did it in an overly dickish way and that was unneccesary but I also agree with his overall main point here.


I thought the same thing, and was surprised to see Campos taken to task on that. The dickish-ness seemed more directed at the schools than the applicant though, to me at least.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Depaul School of Law vs. Charlotte School of Law

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:03 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:To be honest, I was about to point out the OP's atrocious grammar if Campos hadn't. Even if it is the Internet, one should still be able to use proper grammar if they're asking about their future on a law school forum.

(OP, are you a native English speaker?)
*EDIT: Haha Campos asked the same thing. :P


+1

He did it in an overly dickish way and that was unneccesary but I also agree with his overall main point here.


I thought the same thing, and was surprised to see Campos taken to task on that. The dickish-ness seemed more directed at the schools than the applicant though, to me at least.


There's a kid trolling on the internet because he's asocial and aspie, and then there's a law professor trolling law students he should be advising/counseling (if anything), even if the law professor is asocial, aspie, and affiliates himself with Cato toolbags. There are better ways to prove a point than this random thread for an academic of his stature. The tremendous respect we have for his work narrows when it is rehashed and revisited to mock individuals seeking advice.

We all know OP shouldnt be in law school, especially not these law schools. Its the first statement we've all made. Being well liked is not a trait all of us aspire to, and blunt wisdom has its utility, but this just seemed spiteful.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JD_Kingfish and 3 guests