how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
06102016
Posts: 13466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby 06102016 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:28 pm

..

User avatar
06102016
Posts: 13466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby 06102016 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:30 pm

..

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:33 pm

LOL can you imagine:


"UCI adcom, taking questions"

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby 071816 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:33 pm

FUCK ERWIN

User avatar
06102016
Posts: 13466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby 06102016 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:35 pm

..

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby 071816 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:38 pm

slackademic wrote:
chimp wrote:FUCK ERWIN

Why's this? I've heard he's chill.

Because he's running a law school in a region that needed another law school like I need a third tit.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:41 pm

slackademic wrote:
chimp wrote:FUCK ERWIN

Why's this? I've heard he's chill.


He's pretty chill. I took one of the classes he taught for UG before I transferred. Back then, the school had not existed yet. They actually didn't have to build anything for the school. They just simply kicked everyone out of the original building and then changed the sign up front.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby guano » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:09 am

slackademic wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
slackademic wrote:All trolling aside, UCI is probably going to be better than Loyola and worse than UCLA/USC. It might be able to snipe some jobs from SD, but that's a really small, oversaturated market for lawyers. some very high-performing students will do fine in L.A. It's probably not a great investment for most students, but it's not a TTTT or whatever.


Are you saying it's better than UCH, which has been around way longer? If not, then it's TTTT. Because UCH is pretty TTTT.

46% full time attorney jobs. 7% of that is school funded. That's 39%. That's pretty TTTT man.

Yeah, I suspect it's better than UCH because of the market(s) it's servicing vs. UCH's one major market. SF is crazy and S/B grads get their pick, along with T6 students, before Hastings students do. UCI will do a better job placing in a couple markets.

Have you ever been to New Haven?

User avatar
06102016
Posts: 13466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby 06102016 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:45 pm

..

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:43 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:Image

Image

Image

LOL

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby hephaestus » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:46 pm

guano wrote:
slackademic wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
slackademic wrote:All trolling aside, UCI is probably going to be better than Loyola and worse than UCLA/USC. It might be able to snipe some jobs from SD, but that's a really small, oversaturated market for lawyers. some very high-performing students will do fine in L.A. It's probably not a great investment for most students, but it's not a TTTT or whatever.


Are you saying it's better than UCH, which has been around way longer? If not, then it's TTTT. Because UCH is pretty TTTT.

46% full time attorney jobs. 7% of that is school funded. That's 39%. That's pretty TTTT man.

Yeah, I suspect it's better than UCH because of the market(s) it's servicing vs. UCH's one major market. SF is crazy and S/B grads get their pick, along with T6 students, before Hastings students do. UCI will do a better job placing in a couple markets.

Have you ever been to New Haven?

Well, this seems like a total non sequitur.

xJD2017x
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby xJD2017x » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:03 pm

slackademic wrote:
chimp wrote:FUCK ERWIN

Why's this? I've heard he's chill.


He is well regarded. My only problem with him is when he was on the duke faculty. He didn't come out and support due process in the lacrosse rape case. The evidence that the girl was lying was so obvious right away and yet duke faculty seemed to be calling for the players to be jailed. I don't remember if he was in on that but most of the Duke faculty was despite the overwhelming evidence the girl made the whole thing up.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:09 pm

xJD2017x wrote: I don't remember if he was in on that but most of the Duke faculty was despite the overwhelming evidence the girl made the whole thing up.



Actually, NONE of the law school faculty were in support of the girl.


The Duke faculty that were, were faculty from the Gender studies classes, black history, and the rest of the shitlib departments.

xJD2017x
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby xJD2017x » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:12 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
xJD2017x wrote: I don't remember if he was in on that but most of the Duke faculty was despite the overwhelming evidence the girl made the whole thing up.



Actually, NONE of the law school faculty were in support of the girl.


The Duke faculty that were, were faculty from the Gender studies classes, black history, and the rest of the shitlib departments.


That's probably right. It's been a while.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby PDaddy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:00 am

wolfgang wrote:thanks pdaddy.

I get what you're saying, and I appreciate you putting all those thoughts out there when they're clearly the unpopular opinion.

Just a few questions so I can fully understand your point:
To what are you referring when you say "how else does UCi surpass notre dame, fordham, etc"? Are you just talking about stats? Or did you mean to imply something like "how would they surpass these regional powerhouses?" Something isn't clicking in my head.

are you thinking that UCI's relative rank is going to be pretty static? How do you feel about the earlier comment that the dean is fine with top 40, but then wants to move into top 30 and then i assume top 20? And then, i assume, their plan is to just slowly displace yale at number 1... haha


Some of your argument is (possibly) assuming that a reputation can truly be built in three years... do you think this is true? I'm not commenting either way, because I have no idea how law school reputations work, I'm just wondering what you think.

thanks again to everyone who has given information, good and bad!


Honestly, I believe USNWR should succumb to the pressures to tweak its rankings formula more than it has. As a metric, "reputation" is a joke. Although no one can build a reputation on three years, the least Morse and others can do is be honest and make them more concrete. They can stop allowing respondents to rate schools about which they know nothing. They could also make the distributions more formulaic. I talk to judges all of the time, and I still have yet to meet one who has received one of those stupid forms.

I am starting to believe that USNWR is making up reputation ratings.

The bottom line for me is that I doubt any posters here have actually done any real research that allows them to make to wild statements they make. How any here have even set foot on UCI's campus or sat in a class? How many have watched their moot court competitions? How many have done the same at the other California schools, so that their comparisons might actually be grounded in experience? How many have spoke. With judges or employers and broached the topic of UCI law?

The responses here are mostly BS, and that includes mine. I am just being contrarian because I have at least some personal knowledge and experience with UCI, USC and UCLA.

My advice to OP is to take everything read and written here with a grain of salt. None of us is educated enough to say the things we are saying, even you statisticians out there.

UCI's supposedly dreary big law prospects are being dispelled these very days at OCI. My friend has four strong biglaw callbacks, so she isn't doing too badly.

UCI will be a solid tier-1 school that threatens the top-30 and/or top-20, much like Notre Dame, Fordham and Indiana. To say any more or less would be "ass".

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby twenty » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:40 am

.
Last edited by twenty on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:42 am

UCI is a festering TTTT, I can't believe people on here are actually in support of it. Come on guise this is Top Law Schools.com; not Law School Discussion.com. . . Even the xoxohth.com bros are smarter than that!

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby PDaddy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:34 am

Dr. Dre wrote:UCI is a festering TTTT, I can't believe people on here are actually in support of it. Come on guise this is Top Law Schools.com; not Law School Discussion.com. . . Even the xoxohth.com bros are smarter than that!


Yeah...you're right. From now on, no discussion of any school outside of the "T14" and TeVaUCLA. Those the only "tops" with which we should be concerned. :roll:

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:18 am

PDaddy wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:UCI is a festering TTTT, I can't believe people on here are actually in support of it. Come on guise this is Top Law Schools.com; not Law School Discussion.com. . . Even the xoxohth.com bros are smarter than that!


Yeah...you're right. From now on, no discussion of any school outside of the "T14" and TeVaUCLA. Those the only "tops" with which we should be concerned. :roll:



yeah . . . you took it too far brother

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:02 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:UCI is a festering TTTT, I can't believe people on here are actually in support of it. Come on guise this is Top Law Schools.com; not Law School Discussion.com. . . Even the xoxohth.com bros are smarter than that!


If the long established UC HasTTTTings is doing so poorly, I don't know how people think UCI will fare any better with a way smaller alumni base.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:30 pm

xJD2017x wrote:
slackademic wrote:
chimp wrote:FUCK ERWIN

Why's this? I've heard he's chill.


He is well regarded. My only problem with him is when he was on the duke faculty. He didn't come out and support due process in the lacrosse rape case. The evidence that the girl was lying was so obvious right away and yet duke faculty seemed to be calling for the players to be jailed. I don't remember if he was in on that but most of the Duke faculty was despite the overwhelming evidence the girl made the whole thing up.


Most duke lacrosse players were raping girls anyway on a regular basis. That girl was a f&%*ing idiot but the duder probably took advantage of/forced himself on two other girls that week. Piling up and defending infantile collegiate mysogeny doesnt really help our brand. Still, its not like you can prosecute thousands of bros each year from CMC to ole miss. Scapegoating individuals like that duke example wont bring structural change to gender relations for 18-22 yr olds

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:02 pm

when will uci get ranked by us news? this year or the next?

User avatar
MoMettaMonk
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby MoMettaMonk » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:21 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:when will uci get ranked by us news? this year or the next?


I think the 2015 edition is the first year they can be ranked.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15418
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby sublime » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:38 pm

..

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15516
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:11 pm

sublime wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:when will uci get ranked by us news? this year or the next?



My understanding was this year, I can't find where I read that though, so I may be mistaken.

I was, 2015 according to this link: --LinkRemoved--

This year's version, released in March 2013, was the 2014 version, so UCI will be ranked next March.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FutureLitigator and 7 guests