how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
MyNameIsFlynn!
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:54 pm

pluto111 wrote:if UCI is providing a cheaper alternative to the two big law schools in Southern Cal, that's a positive thing as it may allow/encourage more people in the area to focus on the underserved populations rather than gunning for big law firms. And there is definitely a shortage of lawyers who are willing or financially able to represent poor people in LA and Orange County.


pluto111 wrote:As I said in the last post, "adding another law school is not going to necessarily help or hurt the situation"-- The "situation" being that the poor are under served.


So what is the point of adding another lawl school again? Not clear

Step up yer trollin man

User avatar
J-e-L-L-o
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:32 pm

I think the OP was a lil misguided as where UCI will fall within rankings. Everyone knows the rankings are crap anyway.

These discussions are pretty much useless. TLS users should know the only thing that matters about which law school you go to is employment. So far, as of now, UCI has not disappointed in that regard. Clerkships are high, bar passage is 2nd in the state behind Stanford (and higher than UCLA, USC, and gasp even Berkeley), and grads are getting jobs.

I've always been an advocate of UCI. When students start complaining ala Hastings, then let the bashing begin. That is not the case. The few TLS UCI students have nothing but great things to say about their school. Do you hear the same from Davis, Hastings, and WUSTL grads? Hell no.

Subjective analysis is funny but in reality doesn't capture what UCI is doing and their numbers are proving to be great.

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby BigZuck » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:06 am

J-e-L-L-o wrote:I think the OP was a lil misguided as where UCI will fall within rankings. Everyone knows the rankings are crap anyway.

These discussions are pretty much useless. TLS users should know the only thing that matters about which law school you go to is employment. So far, as of now, UCI has not disappointed in that regard. Clerkships are high, bar passage is 2nd in the state behind Stanford (and higher than UCLA, USC, and gasp even Berkeley), and grads are getting jobs.

I've always been an advocate of UCI. When students start complaining ala Hastings, then let the bashing begin. That is not the case. The few TLS UCI students have nothing but great things to say about their school. Do you hear the same from Davis, Hastings, and WUSTL grads? Hell no.

Subjective analysis is funny but in reality doesn't capture what UCI is doing and their numbers are proving to be great.


How are they proving to be great?

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby bananasplit19 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:33 am

BigZuck wrote:How are they proving to be great?

J-e-L-L-o wrote:Clerkships are high, bar passage is 2nd in the state behind Stanford (and higher than UCLA, USC, and gasp even Berkeley), and grads are getting jobs.

Normal anti-UCI counter-argument wrote:But those numbers are of a disproportionately small sample size of the full-scholly first class, so it doesn't prove anything. When the class sizes rise, percentages will fall, Chem's favors will run out, then it'll be TTT.

Normal pro-UCI counter-counter-argument wrote:Well, those numbers are all we have to go on, and while they don't prove UCI is the real deal, they run counter to the "UCI is TTT" argument. Plus, when the percentages drop due to increased class sizes, that doesn't mean it'll fall to TTT level, just from the obviously-unsustainable better-than-Yale level. Percentages dropping and Irvine still being a good school aren't mutually exclusive.

Normal anti-UCI counter-counter-counter-argument wrote:Nuh-uh.

Normal pro-UCI counter-counter-counter-counter-argument wrote:Uh-huh.

And so on and so forth. No one will be convinced because there's no way to prove anything right now. FWIW, all the Irvine folks I've spoken to (even outside of the vaunted first class) are very happy with their school and their prospects, as Jello alluded to. Conversely, all the anti-UCI folks are happy to not go to Irvine. So everyone gets what they want for themselves. Win-win.

Except no one gets to win the internet argument :-P
Image

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:31 am

J-e-L-L-o wrote:I think the OP was a lil misguided as where UCI will fall within rankings. Everyone knows the rankings are crap anyway.

These discussions are pretty much useless. TLS users should know the only thing that matters about which law school you go to is employment. So far, as of now, UCI has not disappointed in that regard. Clerkships are high, bar passage is 2nd in the state behind Stanford (and higher than UCLA, USC, and gasp even Berkeley), and grads are getting jobs.

I've always been an advocate of UCI. When students start complaining ala Hastings, then let the bashing begin. That is not the case. The few TLS UCI students have nothing but great things to say about their school. Do you hear the same from Davis, Hastings, and WUSTL grads? Hell no.

Subjective analysis is funny but in reality doesn't capture what UCI is doing and their numbers are proving to be great.

pluto111
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:56 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby pluto111 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:58 am

bananasplit19, bravo on being a voice of reason. I think we can basically end this conversation--and all the other meaningless speculative conversations about uci that go nowhere--now that you've made that post. Well said.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:07 am

pluto111 wrote:bananasplit19, bravo on being a voice of reason. I think we can basically end this conversation--and all the other meaningless speculative conversations about uci that go nowhere--now that you've made that post. Well said.



(UCI adcom)

Redfactor
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby Redfactor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:59 am

.
Last edited by Redfactor on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15395
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby sublime » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:13 pm

..

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:56 pm

WUSTL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TTTT UCI

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby BigZuck » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:08 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:How are they proving to be great?

J-e-L-L-o wrote:Clerkships are high, bar passage is 2nd in the state behind Stanford (and higher than UCLA, USC, and gasp even Berkeley), and grads are getting jobs.

Normal anti-UCI counter-argument wrote:But those numbers are of a disproportionately small sample size of the full-scholly first class, so it doesn't prove anything. When the class sizes rise, percentages will fall, Chem's favors will run out, then it'll be TTT.

Normal pro-UCI counter-counter-argument wrote:Well, those numbers are all we have to go on, and while they don't prove UCI is the real deal, they run counter to the "UCI is TTT" argument. Plus, when the percentages drop due to increased class sizes, that doesn't mean it'll fall to TTT level, just from the obviously-unsustainable better-than-Yale level. Percentages dropping and Irvine still being a good school aren't mutually exclusive.

Normal anti-UCI counter-counter-counter-argument wrote:Nuh-uh.

Normal pro-UCI counter-counter-counter-counter-argument wrote:Uh-huh.

And so on and so forth. No one will be convinced because there's no way to prove anything right now. FWIW, all the Irvine folks I've spoken to (even outside of the vaunted first class) are very happy with their school and their prospects, as Jello alluded to. Conversely, all the anti-UCI folks are happy to not go to Irvine. So everyone gets what they want for themselves. Win-win.

Except no one gets to win the internet argument :-P
Image


Well then, at that point you just have to use some logic and common sense and make some educated guesses. One side of the argument does a good job of this, the other does not IMO.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3396
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:29 pm

sublime wrote:
J-e-L-L-o wrote:I think the OP was a lil misguided as where UCI will fall within rankings. Everyone knows the rankings are crap anyway.

These discussions are pretty much useless. TLS users should know the only thing that matters about which law school you go to is employment. So far, as of now, UCI has not disappointed in that regard. Clerkships are high, bar passage is 2nd in the state behind Stanford (and higher than UCLA, USC, and gasp even Berkeley), and grads are getting jobs.

I've always been an advocate of UCI. When students start complaining ala Hastings, then let the bashing begin. That is not the case. The few TLS UCI students have nothing but great things to say about their school. Do you hear the same from Davis, Hastings, and WUSTL grads? Hell no.

Subjective analysis is funny but in reality doesn't capture what UCI is doing and their numbers are proving to be great.



Wtf is up with the random wustl shot? I'm not saying it's t14 level but it is far better than hastings, Davis, and yes, uci. Also, romo and the other guys in the wustl thread seem pretty content. They just aren't forced to defend it all the time as it is established, unlike uci


Lol, HasTTTTings.

californiauser
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby californiauser » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:42 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:WUSTL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TTTT UCI


UCI is the WUSTL of California.

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby TheThriller » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:10 pm

californiauser wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:WUSTL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TTTT UCI


UCI is the WUSTL of California.


Bold Statement.

User avatar
Meepo
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby Meepo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:28 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
MormonChristian wrote: I am not exactly sure what that means.



it means uci is fucked


i thought some of the uci kids transferred out to chapman

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:39 pm

californiauser wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:WUSTL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TTTT UCI


UCI is the WUSTL of California.


180 trolling, bro

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:42 pm

californiauser wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:WUSTL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TTTT UCI


UCI is the WUSTL of California.


WUSTL is just a step below T14 in the Midwest, UCI is below T14 + USC/UCLA. So the correct analogy would be UCI is the Midwestern T25 of California.

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:11 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
californiauser wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:WUSTL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TTTT UCI


UCI is the WUSTL of California.


WUSTL is just a step below T14 in the Midwest, UCI is below T14 + USC/UCLA. So the correct analogy would be UCI is the Midwestern T25 of California.


The East German judge grants you a 4.5 for this fuckawful mental gymnastics routine.

californiauser
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby californiauser » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:20 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
californiauser wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:WUSTL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TTTT UCI


UCI is the WUSTL of California.


WUSTL is just a step below T14 in the Midwest, UCI is below T14 + USC/UCLA. So the correct analogy would be UCI is the Midwestern T25 of California.


UCLA and USC are better than WUSTL, too.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1928
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:24 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
californiauser wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:WUSTL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TTTT UCI


UCI is the WUSTL of California.


WUSTL is just a step below T14 in the Midwest, UCI is below T14 + USC/UCLA. So the correct analogy would be UCI is the Midwestern T25 of California.


Just a step? Whose step? Paul Bunyan? Goliath? Godzilla?

Also, LOL at comparing totally different regions to try and demonstrate one school's superiority.

"UCLA is the best school in Los Angeles, but NYU is only the second-best school in New York. Therefore, UCLA > NYU." Find the flawed assumption...

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:46 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Just a step? Whose step? Paul Bunyan? Goliath? Godzilla?

Also, LOL at comparing totally different regions to try and demonstrate one school's superiority.

"UCLA is the best school in Los Angeles, but NYU is only the second-best school in New York. Therefore, UCLA > NYU." Find the flawed assumption...


lol, credited.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:09 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
"UCLA is the best school in Los Angeles, but NYU is only the second-best school in New York. Therefore, UCLA > NYU." Find the flawed assumption...



1 fucking 80!

User avatar
06102016
Posts: 13466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby 06102016 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:12 pm

..

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3396
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:16 pm

slackademic wrote:All trolling aside, UCI is probably going to be better than Loyola and worse than UCLA/USC. It might be able to snipe some jobs from SD, but that's a really small, oversaturated market for lawyers. some very high-performing students will do fine in L.A. It's probably not a great investment for most students, but it's not a TTTT or whatever.


Are you saying it's better than UCH, which has been around way longer? If not, then it's TTTT. Because UCH is pretty TTTT.

46% full time attorney jobs. 7% of that is school funded. That's 39%. That's pretty TTTT man.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:21 pm

I wonder if UCI adcoms have read this thread...




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests