how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nova

Platinum

Re: how do we feel about UC Irvine at this point?

Post by Nova » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:13 pm

gitguy wrote:My mistake. In all fairness though, I think Dre needs to move on from the UCI applicants page. It's a little pathetic.
Unless he applies :wink:

gitguy

Bronze

Post by gitguy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:25 pm

dr123 wrote:Those Duke lax players were obviously fucked with by an overzealous prosecutor who ended up losing his job and being disbarred. Is this a fucking joke?

edit- did you even read the wiki article?
On April 11, 2007, North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper dropped all charges and declared the three players innocent. Cooper stated that the charged players – Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty, and David Evans – were victims of a "tragic rush to accuse."[9] The initial prosecutor for the case, Durham County's District Attorney Mike Nifong, who was labeled a "rogue prosecutor" by Cooper, withdrew from the case in January 2007 after the North Carolina State Bar filed ethics charges against him. That June, Nifong was disbarred for "dishonesty, fraud, deceit and misrepresentation", making Nifong the first prosecutor in North Carolina history to lose his law license based on actions in a case. Nifong was found guilty of criminal contempt and served one day in jail.[10] Mangum never faced any charges for her false accusations as Cooper declined to prosecute her.[11]
Read the original conversation and you'll realize I don't care about the Duke case, and I would never rush to accuse anyone of anything, knowing little other than what I read in the press about it.

The issue was that Dre is a troll who has nothing better to do and is misrepresenting himself on these threads and annoying people here to gather useful information.

jordan15

Bronze

Post by jordan15 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:32 am

Don't underestimate the power of UCI's location. When I was in high school I saw so many people turn down UCLA, USC, and UCB in favor of UCI, UCSB, UCSD, and even SDSU, CSULB, etc. Moderate proximity to the beach seems to trump basically everything for some students.

The COL isn't nearly as bad as almost all of the T14+ USC/UCLA. There are some decent cheap neighborhoods that are a pleasant 10-20 minute drive away. The nicest apartments right next to the school are about as expensive as Berkeley and Cambridge, except you get a ridiculous luxury condo instead of some old small unit that's 1 of only 2-8 in the building. This site is all about prestige but for Cali kids (and wannabes) lifestyle trumps a few extra rankings points. I would assume it would be a top pick for a student who also had a family since it's really the only school that's in a peaceful, suburban, yuppie neighborhood with excellent public schools.

I'm not trying to troll for UCI because obviously there are very big drawbacks that for most of the people here, including myself, far outweigh the benefits (no alumni, no reputation, rapidly growing class size-unsteady resources). But it does have some very unique qualities that I think will attract a slightly better applicant pool than it would had it been in a different location.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:34 am

you assume that a UC irvine JD will provide you with a job in that area. And that whatever jerb you get will pay enough to live there.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:55 am

Its tuition is also ridiculously high. One thing that confuses the crap out of me about Cali law schools is how all of these schools have such ridiculously high in-state tuition because the state doesn't really subsidize them. Meanwhile, California state gov't overfunds everything else in California. I just assume that they assume that lawyers all still make good money right out of law school?

Edited for grammar.
Last edited by jingosaur on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:49 pm

It's tuition is also ridiculously high.
True, but unless you hail from a wealthy family, no one should pay sticker for anything other than HYS and perhaps C&C. If you can't score BIG money from a T15+, you should retake (or head to Starbucks for a job today).

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:50 pm

there is no such thing as a T15

hth

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:52 pm

Big Dog wrote:
True, but unless you hail from a wealthy family, no one should pay sticker for anything other than HYS and perhaps C&C. If you can't score BIG money from a T15+, you should retake (or head to Starbucks for a job today).
Anti-NYU trolling plus pro-UT trolling all in the same post?

Niiiice.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:58 pm

^^hahahaha

My bad. I really meant T15- (minus), as in T15 on down requires really big money to attend. Some smaller schollies will do for T6 through T14.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:00 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Whether or not paying sticker at a certain school is worth it isn't the point at issue because regardless of what the truth is, people are still paying full tuition for these schools. There are even TLS regulars who are paying sticker at Cali law schools that aren't S, B, USC, or UCLA even after doing their research. If tuition were lower, these students who make uninformed and stupid decisions would have a higher chance of ever being able to pay back their loans. For example, students paying in-state tuition at a school like Kentucky have a better chance of paying off their sticker debt from a similarly ranked or slightly higher ranked school like George Mason.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:19 pm

Whether or not paying sticker at a certain school is worth it isn't the point at issue because regardless of what the truth is, people are still paying full tuition for these schools. There are even TLS regulars who are paying sticker at Cali law schools that aren't S, B, USC, or UCLA...
Yeah, and there's a sucker born every minute...

But if we can convince even one person to not be that stupid, I'd call it win-win.
....even after doing their research.
That's probably why they were lit/hume majors -- absolutely no critical thinking skills (which are required in STEM. (Again, assumes not from a wealthy family where money is no object.)

Allenowen

New

Post by Allenowen » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:05 pm

jingosaur wrote:Its tuition is also ridiculously high. One thing that confuses the crap out of me about Cali law schools is how all of these schools have such ridiculously high in-state tuition because the state doesn't really subsidize them. Meanwhile, California state gov't overfunds everything else in California. I just assume that they assume that lawyers all still make good money right out of law school?

Edited for grammar.
I wonder how long this stereotype that lawyers are rolling in money and penthouses will last. It is obnoxious and I lose respect every time for anyone who echoes this stupid out of date stereotype.

Allenowen

New

Post by Allenowen » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:05 pm

jingosaur wrote:Its tuition is also ridiculously high. One thing that confuses the crap out of me about Cali law schools is how all of these schools have such ridiculously high in-state tuition because the state doesn't really subsidize them. Meanwhile, California state gov't overfunds everything else in California. I just assume that they assume that lawyers all still make good money right out of law school?

Edited for grammar.
I wonder how long this stereotype that lawyers are rolling in money and penthouses will last. It is obnoxious and I lose respect every time for anyone who echoes this stupid out of date stereotype.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:23 pm

jingosaur wrote:
Big Dog wrote:
Whether or not paying sticker at a certain school is worth it isn't the point at issue because regardless of what the truth is, people are still paying full tuition for these schools. There are even TLS regulars who are paying sticker at Cali law schools that aren't S, B, USC, or UCLA even after doing their research. If tuition were lower, these students who make uninformed and stupid decisions would have a higher chance of ever being able to pay back their loans. For example, students paying in-state tuition at a school like Kentucky have a better chance of paying off their sticker debt from a similarly ranked or slightly higher ranked school like George Mason.
Oh gawd...I know people going to LLS and Chapman at sticker. I know a 3L at Chapman that has over 100k in debt.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:38 pm

Allenowen wrote:
Oh, and I suppose you're up to date on the markets of every profession in the universe.
Last edited by Nova on Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:43 pm

Edited for grammar.
The state does subsidize them but as long as students can borrow an unlimited amount of money(enabled by federally insured loans) tutions will still go up. Hastings was getting 10 million from the state(I think they still do) but they were raising tutions every year at a faster rate than private schools in the last 10 years or so. Same with other UC schools.

Yale and harvard could fund themselves through interest on their endowment but they still charge 50k a year! that's even more crazy and for the same reason as above(federally insured loans that take risk away from lending students).

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:50 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gitguy

Bronze

Post by gitguy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:Image
Is this all you do all day?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:30 pm

UCI stinks

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:08 pm

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:33 pm

slackademic wrote:
chimp wrote:UCI stinks
all schools outside the T14 stink. actually, no... all schools outside T6 stink... wait, no, HYS or bust.

actually, wait, all law schools stink.
life stinks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thetruther

New

Post by thetruther » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:46 pm

Id turn down WUSTL with $$$ for UCI 8)

vicpin5190

Silver

Post by vicpin5190 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:14 pm

thetruther wrote:Id turn down WUSTL with $$$ for UCI 8)
but WUSTL is a great place!

jordan15

Bronze

Post by jordan15 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:54 am

zman wrote:

Edited for grammar.
The state does subsidize them but as long as students can borrow an unlimited amount of money(enabled by federally insured loans) tutions will still go up. Hastings was getting 10 million from the state(I think they still do) but they were raising tutions every year at a faster rate than private schools in the last 10 years or so. Same with other UC schools.

Yale and harvard could fund themselves through interest on their endowment but they still charge 50k a year! that's even more crazy and for the same reason as above(federally insured loans that take risk away from lending students).
USNEWS is to blame. As long as they include "spending per student" there is no incentive to reduce tuition. Any T14 could probably fund their law school without any tuition but then they would fall 20+ points in the rankings.

State subsidies where much higher pre-2008. At the undergrad level, tuition has risen by about 2x what it used to be at community colleges, CSU, and UC. Community colleges were $20/unit, now are ~$50, and now legislature just passed a bill to make them $200. $200/unit at a JC! So the fact that there is any sort is state subsidy at the law schools (even though they are pathetically small) is remarkable, as well as unlikely to ladt much longer. :(

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:57 pm

jordan15 wrote:
zman wrote:

Edited for grammar.

USNEWS is to blame. As long as they include "spending per student" there is no incentive to reduce tuition. Any T14 could probably fund their law school without any tuition but then they would fall 20+ points in the rankings.

State subsidies where much higher pre-2008. At the undergrad level, tuition has risen by about 2x what it used to be at community colleges, CSU, and UC. Community colleges were $20/unit, now are ~$50, and now legislature just passed a bill to make them $200. $200/unit at a JC! So the fact that there is any sort is state subsidy at the law schools (even though they are pathetically small) is remarkable, as well as unlikely to ladt much longer. :(
The fact that the "incentives" are aligned so as to lead to the most money going into the pockets of tenured professors and administrators might clue you in on why USNWR isn't the source of this problem. That's a smokescreen.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”