Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Fresh1179
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:47 am

Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby Fresh1179 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:57 am

I have the option to transfer to the above schools. I am from North Carolina and attended UNC. Fortunately, my family will be paying for my education. My question is, notwithstanding the enormous price tags, where would you go for your final two years of school? Any insightful advice would be appreciated...Thanks

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby hephaestus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:10 am

Fresh1179 wrote:I have the option to transfer to the above schools. I am from North Carolina and attended UNC. Fortunately, my family will be paying for my education. My question is, notwithstanding the enormous price tags, where would you go for your final two years of school? Any insightful advice would be appreciated...Thanks

Huh? You're transferring from UNC to Campbell? This is suspect.

Fresh1179
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:47 am

Re: Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby Fresh1179 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:35 am

Negative. I went to UNC undergrad. I probably should have specified that. I went to NCCU for a year and am looking to transfer.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby hephaestus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:41 am

Oh ok. That makes a lot more sense. How much money do you get now? If they're both at sticker it may be worth it to go to Campbell. I don't see Kansas making sense.

Fresh1179
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:47 am

Re: Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby Fresh1179 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:51 am

Yea, they would both be sticker price. Just trying to decide if the difference in reputation (whatever that may be) would be worth the move/time investment. I'm not really familiar with KU, I know a fair amount about Campbell.

Fresh1179
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:47 am

Re: Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby Fresh1179 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:42 pm

Anyone else want to weigh in? I would appreciate it.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22808
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Where do you want to work? It sounds like you're intending to stay in NC, in which case, going to Kansas seems like a really bad idea. If you wanted to move out to the midwest, maybe Kansas. Otherwise, stay in NC. If you want to work somewhere other than those 2 places ....well, don't do that.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:09 pm

What rank are you in your class? Have you considered dropping out?

Fresh1179
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:47 am

Re: Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby Fresh1179 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:13 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Where do you want to work? It sounds like you're intending to stay in NC, in which case, going to Kansas seems like a really bad idea. If you wanted to move out to the midwest, maybe Kansas. Otherwise, stay in NC. If you want to work somewhere other than those 2 places ....well, don't do that.


^Haha. Don't worry, I understand the market as it is right now....I plan on staying in NC, but to be completely honest, I don't know if that would be a permanent choice or not at this point in my life. I have lots more "connections" in the NC legal market. Essentially, what I'm asking is would it be "worth it" to attend Kansas because it is a higher tier law school ie. would their be a discernible difference placed on the weight of the degree? I know that's a highly subjective question, but I'd be happy to hear your take.

dstars823
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby dstars823 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:15 pm

Fresh1179 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Where do you want to work? It sounds like you're intending to stay in NC, in which case, going to Kansas seems like a really bad idea. If you wanted to move out to the midwest, maybe Kansas. Otherwise, stay in NC. If you want to work somewhere other than those 2 places ....well, don't do that.


^Haha. Don't worry, I understand the market as it is right now....I plan on staying in NC, but to be completely honest, I don't know if that would be a permanent choice or not at this point in my life. I have lots more "connections" in the NC legal market. Essentially, what I'm asking is would it be "worth it" to attend Kansas because it is a higher tier law school ie. would their be a discernible difference placed on the weight of the degree? I know that's a highly subjective question, but I'd be happy to hear your take.


From NC, grew up in the triangle area, i would say go to campbell, as at least they have decent reach and repore here around raleigh and surrounding areas. Going to kansas makes absolutely no sense whatsoever unless you are from kansas/guaranteed a job in kansas

Fresh1179
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:47 am

Re: Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby Fresh1179 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:21 pm

dstars823 wrote:
Fresh1179 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Where do you want to work? It sounds like you're intending to stay in NC, in which case, going to Kansas seems like a really bad idea. If you wanted to move out to the midwest, maybe Kansas. Otherwise, stay in NC. If you want to work somewhere other than those 2 places ....well, don't do that.


^Haha. Don't worry, I understand the market as it is right now....I plan on staying in NC, but to be completely honest, I don't know if that would be a permanent choice or not at this point in my life. I have lots more "connections" in the NC legal market. Essentially, what I'm asking is would it be "worth it" to attend Kansas because it is a higher tier law school ie. would their be a discernible difference placed on the weight of the degree? I know that's a highly subjective question, but I'd be happy to hear your take.


From NC, grew up in the triangle area, i would say go to campbell, as at least they have decent reach and repore here around raleigh and surrounding areas. Going to kansas makes absolutely no sense whatsoever unless you are from kansas/guaranteed a job in kansas


That's a good point.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:29 pm

Fresh1179 wrote:
dstars823 wrote:
Fresh1179 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Where do you want to work? It sounds like you're intending to stay in NC, in which case, going to Kansas seems like a really bad idea. If you wanted to move out to the midwest, maybe Kansas. Otherwise, stay in NC. If you want to work somewhere other than those 2 places ....well, don't do that.


^Haha. Don't worry, I understand the market as it is right now....I plan on staying in NC, but to be completely honest, I don't know if that would be a permanent choice or not at this point in my life. I have lots more "connections" in the NC legal market. Essentially, what I'm asking is would it be "worth it" to attend Kansas because it is a higher tier law school ie. would their be a discernible difference placed on the weight of the degree? I know that's a highly subjective question, but I'd be happy to hear your take.


From NC, grew up in the triangle area, i would say go to campbell, as at least they have decent reach and repore here around raleigh and surrounding areas. Going to kansas makes absolutely no sense whatsoever unless you are from kansas/guaranteed a job in kansas


That's a good point.


I agree with this. I don't see how going to Kansas would give you any discernible advantage, especially given your (presumed) lack of ties.

dstars823
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby dstars823 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:33 pm

just curious what is your rank? current debt? because i know campbell is a ton more expensive than NCCU...also career aspirations... did you apply UNC, wake or Duke?

Fresh1179
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:47 am

Re: Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby Fresh1179 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:46 pm

dstars823 wrote:just curious what is your rank? current debt? because i know campbell is a ton more expensive than NCCU...also career aspirations... did you apply UNC, wake or Duke?


I don't really know the protocol about this stuff, but I'd say my ranking was good, not great. I currently have zero debt. I wasn't interested in Wake Forest, plus I doubt I would have gotten in. Duke--No Thanks/No Chance unless I wanted to work in the NE. UNC has some criminal setup with NCCU to discourage students from transferring under the theory that they don't want to rob Central of their "top" students. I won't even get started on that whole sham, but needless to say I am not happy with it. I sort of decided to transfer late in the game, so only a certain number of applications were still available.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby jingosaur » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:52 pm

What made you choose NCCU in the first place? Were you aware of their job placement when you matriculated? Like you, I went to one of the better UG schools in North Carolina and I don't know anyone from my school who would have chosen to go to such a low-tier school after having such a strong UG education.

dstars823
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby dstars823 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:54 pm

Fresh1179 wrote:
dstars823 wrote:just curious what is your rank? current debt? because i know campbell is a ton more expensive than NCCU...also career aspirations... did you apply UNC, wake or Duke?


I don't really know the protocol about this stuff, but I'd say my ranking was good, not great. I currently have zero debt. I wasn't interested in Wake Forest, plus I doubt I would have gotten in. Duke--No Thanks/No Chance unless I wanted to work in the NE. UNC has some criminal setup with NCCU to discourage students from transferring under the theory that they don't want to rob Central of their "top" students. I won't even get started on that whole sham, but needless to say I am not happy with it. I sort of decided to transfer late in the game, so only a certain number of applications were still available.


i mean the issue is really campbell isnt a substantial step up and the tuition is like 20k more a year so we are talking about accumulating 40k more debt... but if its covered campbell will definitely help if you want to stay in the triangle area. Know tons of kids from UNC at Campbell, my roommate was one, most of my friends in the area are campbell. I myself am a UNC grad and it seems that campbell is a very popular feeder. Job wise i think most people found something for 2L summer though a lot of it is unpaid. Quite a few kids at the bankruptcy court and a few in the DAs office and also smaller 2-10 people law firms

dstars823
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby dstars823 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:55 pm

goldbh7 wrote:What made you choose NCCU in the first place? Were you aware of their job placement when you matriculated? Like you, I went to one of the better UG schools in North Carolina and I don't know anyone from my school who would have chosen to go to such a low-tier school after having such a strong UG education.


there are a few that go from UNC to NCCU every year and i would say almost 30-40% of the class at campbell is UNC undergrad and a few that do take the route of Charlotte law too.

Fresh1179
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:47 am

Re: Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby Fresh1179 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:02 pm

goldbh7 wrote:What made you choose NCCU in the first place? Were you aware of their job placement when you matriculated? Like you, I went to one of the better UG schools in North Carolina and I don't know anyone from my school who would have chosen to go to such a low-tier school after having such a strong UG education.



I won't make any excuses. I had a 1480 on my SAT and a 4.4 in high school. I didn't put in the work in college. I was younger, and stupid. I also was sick for an extended period during undergrad which didn't help. My GPA suffered because of it. My LSAT was good, but not great. I didn't really want to leave NC at that point to it basically left me the option of NCCU or Campbell. I chose Central because it cost like 30 bucks and is a decent education. Now I am transferring because I did pretty well my first year and would like to check out other options.

Fresh1179
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:47 am

Re: Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby Fresh1179 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:11 pm

dstars823 wrote:
Fresh1179 wrote:
dstars823 wrote:just curious what is your rank? current debt? because i know campbell is a ton more expensive than NCCU...also career aspirations... did you apply UNC, wake or Duke?


I don't really know the protocol about this stuff, but I'd say my ranking was good, not great. I currently have zero debt. I wasn't interested in Wake Forest, plus I doubt I would have gotten in. Duke--No Thanks/No Chance unless I wanted to work in the NE. UNC has some criminal setup with NCCU to discourage students from transferring under the theory that they don't want to rob Central of their "top" students. I won't even get started on that whole sham, but needless to say I am not happy with it. I sort of decided to transfer late in the game, so only a certain number of applications were still available.


i mean the issue is really campbell isnt a substantial step up and the tuition is like 20k more a year so we are talking about accumulating 40k more debt... but if its covered campbell will definitely help if you want to stay in the triangle area. Know tons of kids from UNC at Campbell, my roommate was one, most of my friends in the area are campbell. I myself am a UNC grad and it seems that campbell is a very popular feeder. Job wise i think most people found something for 2L summer though a lot of it is unpaid. Quite a few kids at the bankruptcy court and a few in the DAs office and also smaller 2-10 people law firms



Yea. I am starting to agree with you more and more. I was just throwing a question out there because I was having difficulty checking figuring it out. Appreciate the advice.

dstars823
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby dstars823 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:16 pm

wake is actually pretty splitter friendly, Duke to an extent as well to be honest, but at this point its moot. Do you have any other transfer apps out?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22808
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:03 pm

Fresh1179 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Where do you want to work? It sounds like you're intending to stay in NC, in which case, going to Kansas seems like a really bad idea. If you wanted to move out to the midwest, maybe Kansas. Otherwise, stay in NC. If you want to work somewhere other than those 2 places ....well, don't do that.


^Haha. Don't worry, I understand the market as it is right now....I plan on staying in NC, but to be completely honest, I don't know if that would be a permanent choice or not at this point in my life. I have lots more "connections" in the NC legal market. Essentially, what I'm asking is would it be "worth it" to attend Kansas because it is a higher tier law school ie. would their be a discernible difference placed on the weight of the degree? I know that's a highly subjective question, but I'd be happy to hear your take.

Kansas isn't enough of a higher tier to make it a valuable degree in NC. Basically, if you're not in the T14 (and even for some of those) you're best off going to school in the region at least related to where you want to practice. So if you want to practice in NC, stay in NC, or maybe possibly go somewhere in the SE that's not NC, but going to the midwest to come back to NC won't help you. (Unless that midwest was NU or Chicago, of course.)

PirateCap'n
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:15 pm

Honestly, have you given any consideration to just staying at NCCU? It and Campbell are essentially peer schools (Campbell has a better reputation and maybe a few more job connections, but I don't think it would be worth transferring for). I'm a native North Carolinian, and, having gone through OCI and other interviews, there's no way Kansas would do you any good at all. NC firms prefer NC degrees.

If you're dead set on transferring, go with Campbell since it at least has a good reputation in NC (particularly from Raleigh on back to the eastern part of the state). NCCU probably will give you a shot at more government jobs, while Campbell will give you a better shot of getting into the private sector. They're peer schools (middle of the pack in NC), neither one is likely to get you big law, but both will give you a decent shot of getting a job somewhere in NC and passing the bar.

Also, you should consider that the academic competition might be a bit tougher at Campbell than at NCCU, so, depending on your class rank, you might be better off for job purposes if you keep your rank at NCCU as opposed to transferring to Campbell and possibly having your rank drop even lower. Of course, you might do well/better at Campbell, but it's not something I would count on. For the cost difference, I'd stick with NCCU (I know you aren't paying for it, but, if you're family is doing it, there's no reason to needlessly waste their money).

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: Transfer--Kansas or Campbell Law School

Postby nebula666 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:52 am

I think I'd rather be in the Top 5% of a Tier 4-5 than transfer and not know where I'll end up at a Tier 3-4. You've already made an awful mistake but maybe you can salvage it somewhat.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 7 guests