Mid-summer classic dilemma

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
WanderingPondering

Re: Mid-summer classic dilemma

Postby WanderingPondering » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:53 pm

I really like OP. Good luck to you in your life and career.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:58 pm

Be prepared to hustle like crazy just to get anything at all from Drexel. Your chances of being a prosecutor or PD are slim. Hope you're ok interning for free or hanging a shingle when you graduate.

ETA: Drexel is one of the worst law schools in the country. Even free is too much. It's a brand new school with no alumni network in a fairly small legal market that already has a half dozen other schools feeding into it.
Last edited by Nelson on Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:02 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Geaux12 wrote:
Robespierre wrote:Am I the only one who thought this thread would be about the All-Star Game?

OP, I would go with Penn since (a) you're looking at ~170K debt rather than the really scary ~250K some people take on and (b) Drexel's employment stats just don't cut it ... only 46% currently getting ANY real legal job, even Small Law.

But no, your choice is not "insane." Zero debt at a local school with a decent rep, when you aspire to Small Law in the locality, is a defensible choice. Go with your gut.

$170k isn't scary? Exactly what world are you living in? Do you know what those monthly payments look like?

He called 250K "really scary" in comparison to 170K, implying that 170K is still scary but not quite as bad. Not sure what you were reading.

Tiago's correct (as usual). In any event, I'm saying that 170K in debt for Penn isn't as scary as the prospect that, coming out of Drexel, he will be facing unemployment/underemployment (46.5% LST employment score!) and will have wasted three years of his life.

But whatever. Some folks are very debt-adverse, and it sounds like OP is that. His choice isn't insane, as I said.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:06 pm

Wait a sec, so he had full rides from other Philly schools but with stips? I would still be tempted to take one of those depending on how severe the stip was.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:54 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:Wait a sec, so he had full rides from other Philly schools but with stips? I would still be tempted to take one of those depending on how severe the stip was.

Sounds like Villanova was just good academic standing but unlike Drexel it doesn't cover books or fees. Temple is already cheap and with 2/3 scholarship that's not a terrible deal either. I don't know much about the Philly market but it could very well be worth it to pay a little something for the far stronger alumni networks/reputations of those two local schools.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:58 pm

Geaux12 wrote:I like OP.

No debt will feel really, really good. And just because you start at $45k doesn't mean you'll be there forever -- you could do interesting work, be in a courtroom (if that's what you want), and most importantly work with people who don't suck/have lives. Hustle and you can make it. Dangerous, but so is BigLaw in a different way.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:58 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:Wait a sec, so he had full rides from other Philly schools but with stips? I would still be tempted to take one of those depending on how severe the stip was.

Sounds like Villanova was just good academic standing but unlike Drexel it doesn't cover books or fees. Temple is already cheap and with 2/3 scholarship that's not a terrible deal either. I don't know much about the Philly market but it could very well be worth it to pay a little something for the far stronger alumni networks/reputations of those two local schools.

Yeah I would actually consider that as well. I hadn't realized just how low Drexel's rank and stats were.

ronanOgara

Postby ronanOgara » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:39 pm

Wow, spend the day at the beach and get all these responses. Thanks to everyone for the input.

So I will try to clear some things up, yes I got 2/3 tuition at Temple and actually full tuition at Villanova. Temple was not willing to remove the stip, I think it was 3.0 (don't quote me on that) and I did research and saw that a good chunk of students lost their scholarships after 1L. So by the off chance that I finished under median at Temple, I would have lost my scholarship. Being under median at any of the nonIvy schools in Philly would be a bad place, but at least at Drexel I won't be financially paying for it.

As to Drexel's stats/rank, I know they are concerning. But even Villanova and Temple are hovering around that 50% LST score. Im just really debt averse, and the stats of Temple/Nova didn't seem justify paying more. It sounds like that is debatable for others though.

With Penn, I just didn't want to start my career off with the debt following me. I looked into LRAP and I wasn't keen on being pointed down a path simply because of the debt. The family law attorney I spoke of previously warned me about the inflexibility of LRAP.

This is one of those situations where every path has its negatives, and my biggest fear was/is being in debt upon graduation. So I decided to take the path that eliminated that fear.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:29 pm

Best of luck! I would've gone for Penn, but hey, zero debt is going to feel GREAT and you seem like a cool guy so I'm sure you'll do well.

Just Wiki'd Ronan O'Gara, whom I'd never heard of. Wow, that guy has some skills.

ronanOgara

Postby ronanOgara » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:43 pm

Robespierre wrote:Best of luck! I would've gone for Penn, but hey, zero debt is going to feel GREAT and you seem like a cool guy so I'm sure you'll do well.

Just Wiki'd Ronan O'Gara, whom I'd never heard of. Wow, that guy has some skills.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

If you have the time, look up Brian O' Driscoll as well. Another fantastic player.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:11 am

Good luck OP. I recently worked with a Drexel Law grad (works in Philly mid law) on a project and she was a pleasure to work with.

And you're right, pretty much all of the Philly law grads (non-penn) are relatively in the same boat for employment, but you seem like you have a good head on your shoulders so I'm sure you'll be fine. You will enjoy life with zero debt, especially since you're not a prestige whore.

Darmody

Postby Darmody » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:57 am

You got into NYU and Penn with a 3.4 and a 169 on your third attempt? If you're not a URM......then my mind=blown.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:45 am

Return to “Choosing a Law School”