High School friend thinking of matriculating to Whittier LS

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ManoftheHour

Re: High School friend thinking of matriculating to Whittier LS

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:44 pm

Convince him to take UC HasTTTTings. Tell him about dat UC prestige. He's going to lose that scholly and if he's the kind of guy that would go to WhiTTTTier in the first place, he's probably the kind of guy that is probably not going to drop out when he loses the scholarship. I'd rather have my friend get in a shit load of debt and a degree from UCD than literally anything from WhiTTTTTTTTTTTTier.

twenty

Postby twenty » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Wormfather wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:last I heard DAT SCHOLLY was like 5% retention.

LOL, that same top 5% thats going to transfer the fuck out?

I shat you not.

http://www.law.whittier.edu/index/apply/financial-aid/scholarship-programs/ wrote:Those students ranked in the top 5% of their class will receive a full tuition scholarship for the next academic year.
Those students ranked in the 6th through 10th percentile of their class will receive a three-quarter tuition scholarship for the next academic year.
Those students ranked in the 11th through 15th percentile of their class will receive a one-half tuition scholarship for the next academic year.
Those students ranked in the 16th through 20th percentile of their class will receive a one-quarter tuition scholarship for the next academic year.

MoMettaMonk

Postby MoMettaMonk » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:38 pm

The idea of basing 2nd and 3rd year scholarship money is interesting, not interesting enough for me to ever go to a school that does it, but interesting nevertheless. Also top 20% to keep any kind of scholarship at all = :twisted:

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:48 pm

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:51 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
http://www.law.whittier.edu/index/apply/financial-aid/scholarship-programs/ wrote:Those students ranked in the top 5% of their class will receive a full tuition scholarship for the next academic year.
Those students ranked in the 6th through 10th percentile of their class will receive a three-quarter tuition scholarship for the next academic year.
Those students ranked in the 11th through 15th percentile of their class will receive a one-half tuition scholarship for the next academic year.
Those students ranked in the 16th through 20th percentile of their class will receive a one-quarter tuition scholarship for the next academic year.

WOW. In that case, seriously:

ManoftheHour wrote:Convince him to take UC HasTTTTings. Tell him about dat UC prestige. He's going to lose that scholly and if he's the kind of guy that would go to WhiTTTTier in the first place, he's probably the kind of guy that is probably not going to drop out when he loses the scholarship. I'd rather have my friend get in a shit load of debt and a degree from UCD than literally anything from WhiTTTTTTTTTTTTier.

Postby 20141023 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:10 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:39 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:Lloyd Jackson
FTFY :wink:

Lloyd Jackson wrote:Some might argue that Harvard's low-income protection plan is an "assurance" of sorts, but it pales in comparison to programs like the Assured Outcomes Partnership because it doesn't cover those that never graduate law school.

Lloyd Jackson wrote:Inversely, students at schools like Florida Coastal University, which has an Enhanced Bar Pass Program, will be in a much better position to become a practicing attorney after law school.

:shock:

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:01 am

kappycaft1 wrote:FTFY :wink:

180. Bravo. :D

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:12 am

Nova wrote:You are bad at trolling, meepo/jah'rakal

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=80551

I for one appreciate his transparency. Meepo/Jah'rakal = troll heroes in DotA

jselson

Postby jselson » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:41 am

kappycaft1 wrote:Lloyd Jackson
FTFY :wink:

Approx. overall employment rate for the general US 25-30 population: 90%

Approx. overall employment rate for recent Harvard grads: 98%

Approx. overall employment rate for recent Florida Coastal grads: 75%

--

Massachusetts bar passage rate for recent Harvard grads: 100%

New York bar passage rate for recent Harvard grads: 97.54%

Florida bar passage rate for recent Florida Coastal grads: 76%

HMMMM

jamesbrf

Postby jamesbrf » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:39 pm

Lloyd Jackson wrote: Lastly, although the U.S. News and World Report rankings have done the legal community nothing but injustice since the time of their inception, they just got a lot worse this year by taking advice about their methodology from organizations such as Law School Transparency.

Ummm... no.
Lloyd Jackson wrote: Law School Transparency claims that the employment rates at schools like Florida Coastal School of Law are in the low-30%s, but ... As reported by the school itself, the real employment rate for the class of 2012 was actually 74.3%.

This disparity between the school reported outcomes and the actual number of desireable outcomes seems to be why LST exists in the first place! But here is a point I can agree with (with a little editing):
Lloyd Jackson wrote: Accordingly, the ABA needs to do something about the blatant misreporting of data over the Internet because it is affecting the ability of intelligent graduates at good schools to find decent employment.

But again, that proves LST's point.

OP good luck with that conversation (if it hasn't already taken place, which seems likely since you posted this last Monday).

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:58 pm

jamesbrf wrote:
Lloyd Jackson wrote: Lastly, although the U.S. News and World Report rankings have done the legal community nothing but injustice since the time of their inception, they just got a lot worse this year by taking advice about their methodology from organizations such as Law School Transparency.

Ummm... no.
Lloyd Jackson wrote: Law School Transparency claims that the employment rates at schools like Florida Coastal School of Law are in the low-30%s, but ... As reported by the school itself, the real employment rate for the class of 2012 was actually 74.3%.

This disparity between the school reported outcomes and the actual number of desireable outcomes seems to be why LST exists in the first place! But here is a point I can agree with (with a little editing):
Lloyd Jackson wrote: Accordingly, the ABA needs to do something about the blatant misreporting of data over the Internet because it is affecting the ability of intelligent graduates at good schools to find decent employment.

But again, that proves LST's point.

OP good luck with that conversation (if it hasn't already taken place, which seems likely since you posted this last Monday).

I'm a bit lost. Who the hell is this Lloyd Jackson clown?

jamesbrf

Postby jamesbrf » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:06 pm

ManoftheHour wrote: I'm a bit lost. Who the hell is this Lloyd Jackson clown?

Not sure exactly. He wrote the letter to the ABA that kappycaft1 quoted earlier. Thought the letter never states any credentials. I tried looking him up and I thought this guyseemed like a possible match, but who knows. http://wvde.state.wv.us/boe/jackson.html
Maybe someone else knows more about him than I do.

Postby 20141023 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:48 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Met a Whittier Law grad today. He was quite articulate.

jamesbrf

Postby jamesbrf » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:03 pm

kappycaft1 wrote: I would be shocked if this Lloyd Jackson was the Lloyd Jackson. My guess is that Lloyd is a current or past student at Florida Coastal who couldn't find a job in his own state because Harvard grads took all the jobs he wanted. (I just don't get why an educator in West Virginia would compare Florida Coastal to Harvard unless it was for the lulz, so that's why I don't think it was him... but you never know. :? )

:oops: You're probably right about LLoyd Jackson.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:06 pm

sinfiery wrote:
Nova wrote:You are bad at trolling, meepo/jah'rakal

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=80551

I for one appreciate his transparency. Meepo/Jah'rakal = troll heroes in DotA

Bullshit, meepo is a kobold

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:24 pm

One of my new friends at work moved from Chicago to California to attend Lincoln Law School of Sacramento. I haven't said anything about it.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:04 pm

Micdiddy wrote:One of my new friends at work moved from Chicago to California to attend Lincoln Law School of Sacramento. I haven't said anything about it.

I FUCKEN HATE THAT SCHOOL.

I met a shiTTTgraduate from that school and she was a huge bitch and acted all tough-n-shit

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:27 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:One of my new friends at work moved from Chicago to California to attend Lincoln Law School of Sacramento. I haven't said anything about it.

I met a shiTTTgraduate from that school and she was a huge bitch and acted all tough-n-shit

I hate Chapman kids.

crestor

Postby crestor » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:58 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:

I hate Chapman kids.

Chapman seems full of tttt douchebags

untar614

Postby untar614 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:16 am

Just found out a hs friend is currently at John Marshal - Chicago :'(
I really hope he has a close family member with their own practice or something.

jselson

Postby jselson » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:27 am

untar614 wrote:Just found out a hs friend is currently at John Marshal - Chicago :'(
I really hope he has a close family member with their own practice or something.

My SO has an old high school friend who just graduated from John Marshall and has passed the bar. No job lined up. She recently posted a question on her Facebook asking if anyone was looking for an attorney.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:33 am

jselson wrote:She recently posted a question on her Facebook asking if anyone was looking for an attorney.

damn this is not funny, it's just sad

Return to “Choosing a Law School”