GW v UCI

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GW v UCI

GW
56%
UCI
44%

Total votes: 27

jbagelboy

Re: GW v UCI

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:34 pm

I think all the "boomers dont get it" stuff is a little exaggerated in this case. If OPs dad went to Stanford law, hes been in the legal market the past 5 years and he may have been in a position to witness it first hand. OPs dad could be a hiring partner at a major firm in SF for all we know and have more insight than most of TLS (although that theory would preclude the asinine attitude towards his sons education). I know an incredibly well informed Cal grad and SLS grad.

Lets consider the approach of GW full ride vs lower T13 with six figure debt -- assuming OP actually took control of his own life and ditched the overbearing shitboomers, and then had to handle the risk of paying his own way. I would still try to work/retake, since I only get one shot at law school and I would want it to be worth it for my goals; the 3-5 yrs out would be far more painful, but the lifetime reward.. Idk

The last thing to consider that might change my opinion is if OPs family has connections that would get him a good job out of GW/UCI. Then the risk equations change. But I cant imagine what position your family would hold that would help in human rights law

sabza

Postby sabza » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:55 pm

Not that this matter, but I am female :)

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:17 pm

sabza wrote:Not that this matter, but I am female :)

My bad!

Id edit all my pronouns but.. Nah lol driving

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:08 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Lets consider the approach of GW full ride vs lower T13 with six figure debt -- assuming OP actually took control of his own life and ditched the overbearing shitboomers, and then had to handle the risk of paying his own way. I would still try to work/retake, since I only get one shot at law school and I would want it to be worth it for my goals; the 3-5 yrs out would be far more painful, but the lifetime reward.. Idk

I just can't possibly think that if OP worked for a year and came back with a T13 acceptance that Dad would say "my offer to pay for law school was only good in 2013, so take that Berkeley or UVA acceptance and STFU." OP seems to be more afraid of being kicked out of the house and not being able to find a job in the interim, so it's literally starve or law school. IDK what OPs job prospects are with three years of volunteer WE- but she should be applying.

sabza

Postby sabza » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:52 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Lets consider the approach of GW full ride vs lower T13 with six figure debt -- assuming OP actually took control of his own life and ditched the overbearing shitboomers, and then had to handle the risk of paying his own way. I would still try to work/retake, since I only get one shot at law school and I would want it to be worth it for my goals; the 3-5 yrs out would be far more painful, but the lifetime reward.. Idk

I just can't possibly think that if OP worked for a year and came back with a T13 acceptance that Dad would say "my offer to pay for law school was only good in 2013, so take that Berkeley or UVA acceptance and STFU." OP seems to be more afraid of being kicked out of the house and not being able to find a job in the interim, so it's literally starve or law school. IDK what OPs job prospects are with three years of volunteer WE- but she should be applying.

You are right. I'm virtually certain he will pay next year, it's the interim I'm worried about.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:39 pm

sabza wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:

You are right. I'm virtually certain he will pay next year, it's the interim I'm worried about.

I was giving an absolute worst case scenario: and even then Id retake. But point taken

sabza

Postby sabza » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:44 pm

Most of you have said retake, some have said go to GW...why is there no UCI love? I get that there are some risks involved with UCI, but it seems like a very good school. Great teachers, small class sizes (which means actual contact with the excellent professors), a really enthusiastic student body, great clerkship placement, etc.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:54 pm

sabza wrote:Most of you have said retake, some have said go to GW...why is there no UCI love? I get that there are some risks involved with UCI, but it seems like a very good school. Great teachers, small class sizes (which means actual contact with the excellent professors), a really enthusiastic student body, great clerkship placement, etc.

It's an unknown, plus what are your ties to Orange County?

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:00 am

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:15 am

DONT GO TO TTTT UCI LAW SCHOOL

drive4showLSAT4dough

Postby drive4showLSAT4dough » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:27 am

sublime wrote:GW is a solid school in its own right.

About 30% of the GWU class in 2012 got BigLaw + Fed Clerkship. 25% of the class graduated into a school-funded position. IDK what you mean by "solid." Median at GWU can't repay their loans how is that solid to you?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:17 am

Dr. Dre wrote:DONT GO TO TTTT UCI LAW SCHOOL

What did you get on your June LSAT

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:25 am

jbagelboy wrote:

Taking in Oct, lil breh

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:29 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Taking in Oct, lil breh

Good luck brosef study study

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:31 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Taking in Oct, lil breh

Good luck brosef study study

thanks . december LSAT will be my last option

thenewguy

Postby thenewguy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:53 am

If you feel your Dad will still pay for school if you retake and are only worried about his resentment during the interim I would personally say that sucking up the interim may be worth it if you consider the best case scenario outcome and you getting into T14. I think he will be quite pleased as well with your decision if it pays off, which there are many examples on TLS where it has. If it helps, show him this current thread (there are links to additional similar ones within I believe):

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=208084

Return to “Choosing a Law School”