USC vs COLUMBIA- help me decide please

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose in my situation?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:16 am

USC
14%
Columbia
86%

Total votes: 49

ConfusedApplicant

USC vs COLUMBIA- help me decide please

Postby ConfusedApplicant » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:16 am

I've just been admitted to Columbia off their reserve and I only have a couple days to respond if I am going to attend. I'm currently registered at USC and USC has orientation on August 22nd. I really love the feel of the school and the friendliness of the students. I could easily sense the camaraderie between the students from my law school tour and my sister goes to USC law one year ahead of me. Also my parents live in la and I grew up here so the transition would be much easier because the area is familiar and I have a support system here.

On the other hand, Columbia has orientation on the 15th and I never got the chance to tour the school so I don't know anything about the feel of the school. Also I would be moving to a new system all by myself just a week before school starts and I'm not sure if the transition would mess me up starting school. Obviously I am tempted by the name value and doors that a law degree from Columbia would open so I am at a loss for how to choose.

I'd appreciate any info about student life and relationships at Columbia, info on housing or how quickly I'd be able to find a place and settle in the week i would have before orientation. I also want to ultimately work in la so I can't decide if USC or Columbia would make it easier to secure a job in la out of school. What are the differences in opportunity I'd face as a graduate of the various schools? Any advice would help and the cost of attending either is not important to me at all so please don't make that a consideration in your advice.

Thank you
Last edited by ConfusedApplicant on Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

bizzybone1313

Re: I could use some opinions

Postby bizzybone1313 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:32 am

You should change the title of your post to: Columbia vs USC-- Help Me Decide. Your title is too generic and won't get you enough views and advice as it stands right now. Congrats on getting in to the T-4 btw.

Trout et al

Re: USC vs COLUMBIA- help me decide please

Postby Trout et al » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:55 am

What are you employment interests? Would you be better off with better placement at OCI or the ability to network easier in your desired market year-round.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:00 am

If COA is no factor because your family can foot the bill then you'd be crazy to turn down Columbia.

Columbia has lots of housing near campus and I know people who got in pretty late last summer and were able to find something. I'd contact their housing folks right away and see what they have available.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:05 am

You should definitely go to Columbia.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:18 am

ConfusedApplicant wrote:
the cost of attending either is not important to me at all so please don't make that a consideration in your advice.

Thank you

If this is true, Columbia is the easy choice.

ConfusedApplicant

Postby ConfusedApplicant » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:32 am

Thanks for the advice gang. Can anyone discuss specific perks of Columbia over USC?

So there's no loss with la networking or the Trojan alumni network if I go to columbia? I have read several articles that suggest going to school where you want to ultimately work. None of you think there'd be a disadvantage to going to school in ny when I want to work in LA?

I am most interested in health law, though everyone says I'll change my mind once I start school. I think I would most want to work at a big firm job upon graduation, if that is any factor too.

lastly, can anyone discuss the atmosphere and relationship between students at Columbia?

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:51 am

ConfusedApplicant wrote:Thanks for the advice gang. Can anyone discuss specific perks of Columbia over USC?

So there's no loss with la networking or the Trojan alumni network if I go to columbia? I have read several articles that suggest going to school where you want to ultimately work. None of you think there'd be a disadvantage to going to school in ny when I want to work in LA?

I am most interested in health law, though everyone says I'll change my mind once I start school. I think I would most want to work at a big firm job upon graduation, if that is any factor too.

lastly, can anyone discuss the atmosphere and relationship between students at Columbia?

You can actually get a job out of CLS

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:57 am

Specific perk: Columbia places 30% more of its class in big law (31 vs 64 %)

That's really the only perk that matters

Trout et al

Postby Trout et al » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:08 am

If you want to work in a big firm and COA is covered, then do CLS. I'd visit the school/ NYC before making a final decision though incase you find that living there would be a terrible living situation for you.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:25 am

Employment should be your only consideration. You'll be able to get a lease signed pretty quickly, and the student bodies will ultimately be pretty similar. CLS has a very active, well-funded California Society (a club for California students) that you can join if you miss the hometown crowd.

I usually say to people considering USC/UCLA with a big scholly vs CLS at sticker is that it all comes down to what you want most. Do you want to work in Cali above all else- then pick USC/UCLA. Do you want to work in biglaw above all else- then pick CLS.

Cal biglaw > any biglaw > any other Cal job = CLS
Cal biglaw > any other Cal job > any biglaw = USC

Why isn't cost an issue? If parents are covering than CLS, since you'll still have a pretty good shot at California non-biglaw with a CLS degree if you apply broadly, and you'll have no debt so you can take a lower-paying job.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:34 am

If you want to work at a large firm and your parents are stoopid rich then it makes absolutely no sense to pick USC over Columbia.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:35 am

Sigh. So you'll be one of those mega-loaded LA kids in my class.. Blegh, there were bound to be some. Im SoCal native too, we'll get along swell as long as you're picking up our tab :)

A columbia degree for free is worth tenfold of a USC degree. Sticker debt at CLS, Id say go to USC, but with your family finances in play, the choice is clear. The power of the trojan family is measured by USCs employment data; compare this to Columbia's. tons of Columbia grads make it back to Oc, lA, and bay area successfully, and a biglaw job in nyc as a backup is better than living at your parents house in LA coaching your high school waterpolo team.

See you at orientation aug 15! Call juliana utley ASAP to set up housing -- shes very nice and will do her best to assign you the most enviable closet available :). PM me with any questions re Columbia coming from LA.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:41 pm

If money's not an issue, Columbia is a no-brainer. Congrats!

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:23 pm

Enjoy Columbia!

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:24 pm

Go to Columbia. I'll be your friend.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:27 pm

For the record, Orientation may start on the 15th (at Columbia), but the "real" classes don't start until a week into September. Up until then we have a series of "pre-class" classes (I'm sure there's a better description for what these classes are). In other words, this will be ample time for you to meet a bunch of kids and get a feel for everything. You won't be the only one who is jumping in blindfolded, either -- I got in off reserve and never had the chance to visit either.

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:31 pm

envisciguy wrote:
ConfusedApplicant wrote:
the cost of attending either is not important to me at all so please don't make that a consideration in your advice.

Thank you

If this is true, Columbia is the easy choice.

PRgradBYU wrote:If money's not an issue, Columbia is a no-brainer. Congrats!
Last edited by TrialLawyer16 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:31 pm

StillIll wrote:For the record, Orientation may start on the 15th (at Columbia), but the "real" classes don't start until a week into September. Up until then we have a series of "pre-class" classes (I'm sure there's a better description for what these classes are). In other words, this will be ample time for you to meet a bunch of kids and get a feel for everything. You won't be the only one who is jumping in blindfolded, either -- I got in off reserve and never had the chance to visit either.

Dude Legal Methods is like 60% of your 1L GPA. Come on get serious let's not mislead people

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:34 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
StillIll wrote:For the record, Orientation may start on the 15th (at Columbia), but the "real" classes don't start until a week into September. Up until then we have a series of "pre-class" classes (I'm sure there's a better description for what these classes are). In other words, this will be ample time for you to meet a bunch of kids and get a feel for everything. You won't be the only one who is jumping in blindfolded, either -- I got in off reserve and never had the chance to visit either.

Dude Legal Methods is like 60% of your 1L GPA. Come on get serious let's not mislead people

Fair enough. I actually didn't know this.

To ammend, there is still some serious schooling going on in those first weeks, but the schedule doesn't reach devastating levels for another couple of weeks. So there should seem to be opportunity for social interaction

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:38 pm

StillIll wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

To ammend, there is still some serious schooling going on in those first weeks, but the schedule doesn't reach devastating levels for another couple of weeks. So there should seem to be opportunity for social interaction

You should assume much of what I say is sarcastic.

The intro course called legal methods starts aug 19, but its not graded and you really dont have to do much for it.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:41 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
StillIll wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

You should assume much of what I say is sarcastic.

The intro course called legal methods starts aug 19, but its not graded and you really dont have to do much for it.

Oh my God, hahah. You can disregard the PM I just sent your way. That's hilarious. I remember in the ask a law student Columbia thread, lots of 2Ls and etc. were telling us to use that time meeting people and getting wasted. (Just kidding) Anyways. . .

zman

Postby zman » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:07 pm

Columbia obviously because of the jobs.

almost one quarter of students at columbia have parents who pay full tution for their kids meanwhile USC law is LOADED with poor UC kids who will graduate with huge debt. You will have your type of people :D

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:22 pm

zman wrote:Columbia obviously because of the jobs.

almost one quarter of students at columbia have parents who pay full tution for their kids meanwhile USC law is LOADED with poor UC kids who will graduate with huge debt. You will have your type of people :D

Hey, just curious where you got this data on the monied class at CLS. I know the people exist anecdotally, but I still think 25% is high for parents covering ALL expenses. Is that a real figure (plz link) or a random guess? What kind of incestuous wealthfest am I getting into? It will determine how preppy my new winter shoes should be.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:31 pm

dunno about the number, but 25% ain't surprising at all. Think about it: more than half of those attending the tippy top private undergrad colleges are full pay. And since the top privates purposely select for high test scorers, these folks are most likely, on average, to ace the LSAT, making them eligible for the T6.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”