How many schools do TLS members apply to?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
utlaw2007

Re: How many schools do TLS members apply to?

Postby utlaw2007 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:37 pm

I applied to 11. No safeties. Didn't think it was necessary. If I was relegated to going to a safety school, I wouldn't have gone to law school. I really only applied to schools that gave me fee waivers. Texas was always my first choice, regardless. I just wasn't in the mood to journey half way across the US to go to school again. As an older student, I just wasn't serious about leaving the state where I wanted to work and a state that is my home. For undergrad, that was plenty different since I was younger. But I only got to fly home twice a year in undergrad. As for law school, Austin was so close to Houston that I drove home several times a semester. However, knowing what I know now by reading the threads on this forum, I could have gotten even more money from Texas. But it was fairly cheap for me to attend. So I am not complaining.
Last edited by utlaw2007 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

shaynislegend

Postby shaynislegend » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:34 pm

I just went through all my waivers and eliminated schools that A. suck B. are in an area I wouldn't want to live.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:46 pm

Wormfather wrote:
shaynislegend wrote:I just went through all my waivers and eliminated schools that A. suck B. are in an area I wouldn't want to live.

Egregious anti-Yale trolling.

Egregious? Seems perfectly legitimate.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:24 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
shaynislegend wrote:I just went through all my waivers and eliminated schools that A. suck B. are in an area I wouldn't want to live.

Egregious anti-Yale trolling.

Egregious? Seems perfectly legitimate.

Not that I've ever been to New Haven, but if it's remotely like many other isolated New England towns, then I don't blame anybody for wanting to go live in Cambridge at H, assuming they have those two options.

poke800ash

Postby poke800ash » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:15 pm

I am applying to 12, 11 American schools plus Toronto. 4 targets and the rest safety as per law school predictor. I am not applying to reach schools because I don't think I will get in.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:19 pm

poke800ash wrote:I am applying to 12, 11 American schools plus Toronto. 4 targets and the rest safety as per law school predictor. I am not applying to reach schools because I don't think I will get in.

Your own profile shows you have a 3.8/175. You have no effing reach schools. Your profile also shows you applying to T10 + Duke anyway. Either something is wrong or you don't know what a reach school is.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:41 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
poke800ash wrote:I am applying to 12, 11 American schools plus Toronto. 4 targets and the rest safety as per law school predictor. I am not applying to reach schools because I don't think I will get in.

Your own profile shows you have a 3.8/175. You have no effing reach schools. Your profile also shows you applying to T10 + Duke anyway. Either something is wrong or you don't know what a reach school is.

Hogwarts

poke800ash

Postby poke800ash » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:42 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:

Oxbridge would be and has always been my first choice but I just don't have time to prepare for their application anymore.

tidymnstr

Postby tidymnstr » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:30 pm

danitt wrote:24.

24 as well

mewalke1

Postby mewalke1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:16 pm

Over 30. I applied to way to many. It became a hassle just to keep up wi the letters etc I applied to almost anywhere that gave me a fee waiver.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:45 am

What is the philosophy behind applying to safeties if you know that you will not go to a safety because of grim job prospects? I was planning on applying to only 6 and if I managed to get rejected from all of those, then I would need to retake and try again because it would not be in my best interest to go to a "safety." Am I wrong ?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:32 am

mandyjay11 wrote:What is the philosophy behind applying to safeties if you know that you will not go to a safety because of grim job prospects? I was planning on applying to only 6 and if I managed to get rejected from all of those, then I would need to retake and try again because it would not be in my best interest to go to a "safety." Am I wrong ?

Nope. But if your safety is a school like WUSTL that gives you fatty cash then applying can be good for negotiations. I know at least 3 people at my school who snagged 6k extra b/c of the WUSTL fully even though WUSTL wasn't really much of a consideration for them.

Eta: after typing all that I realize that is different then what you're talking about. So yes, you're not wrong, there's no reason to apply to a school you wouldn't attend unless its for scholarship money. Don't actually attend a safety unless its objectively good enough for you to attend.

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:55 am

BigZuck wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:What is the philosophy behind applying to safeties if you know that you will not go to a safety because of grim job prospects? I was planning on applying to only 6 and if I managed to get rejected from all of those, then I would need to retake and try again because it would not be in my best interest to go to a "safety." Am I wrong ?

Nope. But if your safety is a school like WUSTL that gives you fatty cash then applying can be good for negotiations. I know at least 3 people at my school who snagged 6k extra b/c of the WUSTL fully even though WUSTL wasn't really much of a consideration for them.

Eta: after typing all that I realize that is different then what you're talking about. So yes, you're not wrong, there's no reason to apply to a school you wouldn't attend unless its for scholarship money. Don't actually attend a safety unless its objectively good enough for you to attend.

Ahhh I see! That makes sense, thanks!

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:37 pm

20- 8 reachers, 8 targets, 4 safeties. If I improve enough on the Oct LSAT I'll apply to YHS as well.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:40 pm

I'm applying to 10 this cycle. Applied to 13 last cycle, and would have applied to more if a few schools were still accepting apps.

FluffMonster

Postby FluffMonster » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:05 pm

I'm applying to 13-17 schools... I keep adding more as I get viewbooks. Damn viewbooks.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Depends on what you mean by "safety" school. For me, the definition of a safety school is the lowest ranked school (by my own metrics) that I am willing to attend and is likely to offer enough scholarship money to make it worthwhile.

I just gathered all the data about the schools I might be even slightly interested in and scored them according to various factors weighted by importance to me (location, job prospects, distance from family, etc.). From there, I used LSN and Law School Predictor to break them into the following categories and found 13 schools to which I'm planning to apply:

Safety/Chance at $ (above both 75th's): 4
Likely accept (75%-100% chance of admittance): 4
Target (60%-75%): 2
Toss up (40%-60%): 1
Reach (25%-40%): 2
Rejection (0%-25%): 0

I'm a little heavy on the safety side because A) it's where my top choices happened to fall and B) I don't want to waste much money on schools where my chances are slim.

Edit: I have fee waivers to 12 of these.

Myself

Postby Myself » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:19 pm

Last edited by Myself on Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

vicpin5190

Postby vicpin5190 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:59 pm

I have 21 on my list right now, but the LSAT will determine where i start cutting off. dat unknown feel.

DiniMae

Postby DiniMae » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:34 am

13, but I can only see myself truly attending 8 of them.

jordan15

Postby jordan15 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:02 pm

I plan on ~20, T14 + USC, UCLA, Davis, WUSTL, Fordham, and whatever other ones I think would be strategic for scholly negotiations. About half of the schools I am only applying for scholly negotions (sorry UVA and Duke...I don't want to live in the south for 3 years) and considering how Northwestern seems to admit almost everyone over a 170, I'm mainly shooting for HLS, CLS, and Northwestern.

It's also very possible that after taking tours of all of the schools I'm admitted to I will change my mind completely, in which case I want to have options.

If I don't get a single waiver it will be ~$2k. I think it's worth it. To make myself feel better I just think of all of the people spending that much in a bs LSAT prep course that I don't need.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:10 pm

jordan15 wrote:I plan on ~20, T14 + USC, UCLA, Davis, WUSTL, Fordham, and whatever other ones I think would be strategic for scholly negotiations. About half of the schools I am only applying for scholly negotions (sorry UVA and Duke...I don't want to live in the south for 3 years) and considering how Northwestern seems to admit almost everyone over a 170, I'm mainly shooting for HLS, CLS, and Northwestern.

It's also very possible that after taking tours of all of the schools I'm admitted to I will change my mind completely, in which case I want to have options.

If I don't get a single waiver it will be ~$2k. I think it's worth it. To make myself feel better I just think of all of the people spending that much in a bs LSAT prep course that I don't need.

If you have a realistic shot at the T14 I can't think of a scenario where applying to Davis makes sense. Waste of 16 (or more) dollars.

thewaves

Postby thewaves » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:11 pm

What is with the Berkeley hate? Is it just an East Coast thing? I'm thinking of going for all of the t14 even though I would have to pay for the Cornell app fee. They said lolno when I tried to solicit a waiver. I suppose the potential for scholarship money outweighs the cost (and whatever real/imaginary hurt pride I have from the snub).

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:16 pm

thewaves wrote:What is with the Berkeley hate? Is it just an East Coast thing? I'm thinking of going for all of the t14 even though I would have to pay for the Cornell app fee. They said lolno when I tried to solicit a waiver. I suppose the potential for scholarship money outweighs the cost (and whatever real/imaginary hurt pride I have from the snub).

Dem dirty hippies

jordan15

Postby jordan15 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:33 pm

BigZuck wrote:
jordan15 wrote:I plan on ~20, T14 + USC, UCLA, Davis, WUSTL, Fordham, and whatever other ones I think would be strategic for scholly negotiations. About half of the schools I am only applying for scholly negotions (sorry UVA and Duke...I don't want to live in the south for 3 years) and considering how Northwestern seems to admit almost everyone over a 170, I'm mainly shooting for HLS, CLS, and Northwestern.

If you have a realistic shot at the T14 I can't think of a scenario where applying to Davis makes sense. Waste of 16 (or more) dollars.

Family ties = free COL, could be useful in negotiating scholarships. I've read on this board that some people have negotiated discounted student housing.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”