How many schools do TLS members apply to? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TheThriller

Gold

Re: How many schools do TLS members apply to?

Post by TheThriller » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:00 pm

Tom Joad wrote:I should have applied to Northwestern.

westphillybandr

Bronze

Post by westphillybandr » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:38 pm

paglababa wrote:
westphillybandr wrote:I applied to 3. If I didn't get into one of the three, I knew I wasn't going. But it depends on what your other options are.
Due to location?
No. Due to the fact that I wanted biglaw and I knew where I was competitive with my stats.

0831kf

New

Post by 0831kf » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:24 pm

11 out of T14 (except Yale, Stanford, Berkeley) because I just thought Yale was impossible and I didn't want to go to West. And out of T14, only applied to Fordham and GWU as safety.

13 in the end.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:32 pm

Two. But I was only serious about one. Fortunately, I was successful.

0831kf

New

Post by 0831kf » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:57 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Two. But I was only serious about one. Fortunately, I was successful.
Wow, that's good.

Honestly, if my number wasn't good enough to try to Harvard and CCN, I would've ED somewhere, get the result back early and have a peaceful mind (assuming I got in...).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:24 am

Honestly never entertained the thought of applying outside the T14, which in retrospect was the right decision for the wrong reasons. Didn't apply to Yale or Stanford (GPA), Northwestern (K-JD) or Berkeley (fuck Berkeley), so it wound up being 10. Looking back, applying to Cornell was probably a waste because I would have gone to GULC over Cornell in a heartbeat. Always assumed my cycle would be CC if it went decent-to-well, NV if it went mediocre-to-decent, and GULC if it went rather poorly, but that was before I was aware of just how extensive merit money can be even when an applicant is relatively unremarkable.

LSAC said the median number of applications was seven. I'd guess for the TLS types (neurotic, by and large), it's in the 11-15 range.

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:38 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:LSAC said the median number of applications was seven. I'd guess for the TLS types (neurotic, by and large), it's in the 11-15 range.
Basically. But you hear that it's all a numbers game, that schools need you more than you need them, but when push comes to shove, you doubt it and over apply. It's risk management, you never know, etc. It's also interesting how different law school admissions is from PhD programs.

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:08 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Honestly never entertained the thought of applying outside the T14, which in retrospect was the right decision for the wrong reasons. Didn't apply to Yale or Stanford (GPA), Northwestern (K-JD) or Berkeley (fuck Berkeley), so it wound up being 10. Looking back, applying to Cornell was probably a waste because I would have gone to GULC over Cornell in a heartbeat. Always assumed my cycle would be CC if it went decent-to-well, NV if it went mediocre-to-decent, and GULC if it went rather poorly, but that was before I was aware of just how extensive merit money can be even when an applicant is relatively unremarkable.

LSAC said the median number of applications was seven. I'd guess for the TLS types (neurotic, by and large), it's in the 11-15 range.
lol. I feel like most of the people in this thread share this sentiment. I think B is a good school, but being from the east coast, not sure if I'll apply either.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:10 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:Applied to 18, paid full application fee for 2. I was originally only going to apply to 13 or 14, but TLS convinced me to apply to others for scholly negotiation purposes.
How did this work out for you? I planned to apply to a few schools that are simiilarly ranked with the ones I want to attend, in the hopes that I can use competing offers to get more cash.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:28 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:Applied to 18, paid full application fee for 2. I was originally only going to apply to 13 or 14, but TLS convinced me to apply to others for scholly negotiation purposes.
How did this work out for you? I planned to apply to a few schools that are simiilarly ranked with the ones I want to attend, in the hopes that I can use competing offers to get more cash.
Negotiations proved somewhat fruitful for some of the lower ranked T14s, but ironically enough, I didn't end up leveraging schollies that much.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:53 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
Negotiations proved somewhat fruitful for some of the lower ranked T14s, but ironically enough, I didn't end up leveraging schollies that much.
By "ironically enough," do you mean you got into Stanford?

Eta: ;)

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:31 pm

jselson wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:LSAC said the median number of applications was seven. I'd guess for the TLS types (neurotic, by and large), it's in the 11-15 range.
Basically. But you hear that it's all a numbers game, that schools need you more than you need them, but when push comes to shove, you doubt it and over apply. It's risk management, you never know, etc. It's also interesting how different law school admissions is from PhD programs.
Lol +1. I was applying to Ls while my SO applied for PhD. So different in innumerable ways

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:04 pm

BigZuck wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
By "ironically enough," do you mean you got into Stanford?

Eta: ;)
I swear I wasn't trying to flash the SLS card, haha.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

y2zipper

New

Post by y2zipper » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:06 am

Assuming my LSAT is good enough and I'm an actual 3.0 splitter, I'm looking at about 13 apps. Probably the top 14 - HLS and the 2 LA schools.

theInnerCircle

New

Post by theInnerCircle » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:09 am

Did 6. Wish I had done 8. Basically wish I had done another reach or two in Cali. Was not feeling confident at the time.

pruufreadr

New

Post by pruufreadr » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:32 pm

3. And, I was an idiot and applied during the last hour of the last day for the deadline at my #1 choice. I should not have been surprised that they waited until nearly the same to admit me with $.

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:58 pm

15 here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:48 pm

I applied to 10, and I wish I applied to more.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:54 pm

pruufreadr wrote:3. And, I was an idiot and applied during the last hour of the last day for the deadline at my #1 choice. I should not have been surprised that they waited until nearly the same to admit me with $.
I'm sorry that you got admitted to your top choice with a scholarship. Douche.

HankBashir

Silver

Post by HankBashir » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:44 pm

I applied to 15, and I paid full fees for 6 of them. Merit waivers to the rest.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:46 pm

Wormfather wrote:I applied to 14, but in retrospect I should have only applied to seven or eight
Sucks to suck, lower T14...AMIRITE!?!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pruufreadr

New

Post by pruufreadr » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:07 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
pruufreadr wrote:3. And, I was an idiot and applied during the last hour of the last day for the deadline at my #1 choice. I should not have been surprised that they waited until nearly the same to admit me with $.
I'm sorry that you got admitted to your top choice with a scholarship. Douche.
Yeah, that sounded ungrateful. I am actually thankful and glad. I was just flustered because I was about to leave for somewhere else and move into my new home when they called me. Thanks for calling me out on my attitude.

stuckinthemiddle

Bronze

Post by stuckinthemiddle » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:17 pm

13 here.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:17 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:24 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
I successfully used schools I would not have attended against schools I would have.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”