How many schools do TLS members apply to? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
vinnnyvincenzo

Bronze

Re: How many schools do TLS members apply to?

Post by vinnnyvincenzo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:48 am

I applied to about 20 or 21. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't have applied to more than half of those but was nervous about certain aspects of my application so blanketed the schools in my region.

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:53 am

Going to apply to only 14 schools. Assume you know which ones.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:19 am

Applied to 11 initially, added 2 more later. Some from T13, some T20 regionals.

Sometimes I wish I had sent apps to some of the other top schools I left out (cornell, uva, penn, yale); but mostly Im satisfied with where I applied. Coming up with a "list" in advance is much less worthwhile than it is for undergrad, though.

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:27 am

Better question: How many schools did you apply to without a fee waiver, and how many with a fee waiver? I'm worried about spending like $1000 on apps....

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:38 am

paglababa wrote:Better question: How many schools did you apply to without a fee waiver, and how many with a fee waiver? I'm worried about spending like $1000 on apps....
One of the many benefits of being poor is that lsac gives you a fee waiver which lets you apply to almost every single school for free (just have to pay the reporting fee). The only schools that didn't honor the lsac waiver were YS (I think maybe H too, can't remember) and oddly enough, Texas. It was easy enough to get HYS to waive my fee (just had to fix them a form and some tax info) but UT was such a pain (had to fill out a paper application-WTF?) that that's the only school I paid the full application fee for.

If I didn't have fee waivers then I probably would not have applied to so many schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:48 am

I plan on applying to 5 schools plus whichever other T13s offer me a waiver.

I'm in a different situation than most because I have a job with a pretty good income. Anything below Cornell would make absolutely no sense for me.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:55 am

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:57 am

BigZuck wrote:
paglababa wrote:Better question: How many schools did you apply to without a fee waiver, and how many with a fee waiver? I'm worried about spending like $1000 on apps....
One of the many benefits of being poor is that lsac gives you a fee waiver which lets you apply to almost every single school for free (just have to pay the reporting fee). The only schools that didn't honor the lsac waiver were YS (I think maybe H too, can't remember) and oddly enough, Texas. It was easy enough to get HYS to waive my fee (just had to fix them a form and some tax info) but UT was such a pain (had to fill out a paper application-WTF?) that that's the only school I paid the full application fee for.

If I didn't have fee waivers then I probably would not have applied to so many schools.
That is cool. but what about merit waivers to the t14? I hear some people either get them outright or send out requests to the school? Don't imagine I'll get any for low income since I work full time.

Geno67

New

Post by Geno67 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:58 am

BigZuck wrote:I think I applied to close to 20, but a decent chunk of those were for scholarship negotiation purposes.

+1 on the refugee wut
Cool. Thanks.

What's your current status?

Refugees in my house = wife's brother fell on hard times. Medicaled out of the Army after 16 years and 5 combat tours due to bad car accident in conus. Asked if we could help, the wife moved him in to our spare room. His gf fell on hard times so the wife moved her and her children (2 per-pubescent, 2 teenagers) into our home as well. She has another grown child that visits but does not live with us.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:09 pm

13 schools, paid for 5. I definitely wish I applied to more schools (cornell, NU, UVA to name 3) Basically you have to write a 2 page and a 4 page PS with a diversity statement and just rejig the essays slightly for each school you apply too. Then there are some optional essays you can choose to do based on time.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:03 pm

Applied to 18, paid full application fee for 2. I was originally only going to apply to 13 or 14, but TLS convinced me to apply to others for scholly negotiation purposes.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:15 pm

20+

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:19 pm

CourCour wrote:13 schools, paid for 5. I definitely wish I applied to more schools (cornell, NU, UVA to name 3) Basically you have to write a 2 page and a 4 page PS with a diversity statement and just rejig the essays slightly for each school you apply too. Then there are some optional essays you can choose to do based on time.
It's definitely not necessary to modify your personal statement for each school. In the vast majority of cases, it won't be helpful at all.

edit: typo
Last edited by Ti Malice on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:22 pm

Only 2 for me. Made the process a lot easier.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:22 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
CourCour wrote:13 schools, paid for 5. I definitely wish I applied to more schools (cornell, NU, UVA to name 3) Basically you have to write a 2 page and a 4 page PS with a diversity statement and just rejig the essays slightly for each school you apply too. Then there are some optional essays you can choose to do based on time.
It's definitely not necessary to modify your personal statement for each school. In the vast majority of cases, it won't he helpful at all.
+1
With the caveat that some schools have slightly different essay prompts, and you do want to make sure you address what they're talking about. But for the most part, a 2.5 page PS (and a shorter 2-page version) should serve you well.

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:28 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
It's definitely not necessary to modify your personal statement for each school. In the vast majority of cases, it won't he helpful at all.
+1
With the caveat that some schools have slightly different essay prompts, and you do want to make sure you address what they're talking about. But for the most part, a 2.5 page PS (and a shorter 2-page version) should serve you well.
Thats what I meant by rejig. Make sure you're following their prompt.

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:57 am

Blanketed T14, wouldn't have gone to a lower-ranked school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:48 pm

I got the poor fee waiver, so I applied to 10 (H on down, minus GULC and Berkeley).

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:56 pm

jselson wrote:Blanketed T14, wouldn't have gone to a lower-ranked school.
This is what I'm doing, regardless of fee waivers. Considering the six-figure cost of law school, a few hundred dollars to expand your options is definitely worth it.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:01 pm

westphillybandr

Bronze

Post by westphillybandr » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:07 pm

I applied to 3. If I didn't get into one of the three, I knew I wasn't going. But it depends on what your other options are.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:50 pm

westphillybandr wrote:I applied to 3. If I didn't get into one of the three, I knew I wasn't going. But it depends on what your other options are.
Due to location?

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:53 pm

I should have applied to Northwestern.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:57 pm

Exactly 20.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:59 pm

6. Didn't know it at the time (I applied with a Feb. LSAT score), but based on my numbers, 4 safeties (3 of those in the market where I want to work) and two reaches. If I could do it over, I would have taken the Dec. LSAT and applied more broadly.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”