Transfer Decision! (AU/UMD) - need decision ASAP!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Lovelife26

Transfer Decision! (AU/UMD) - need decision ASAP!!

Postby Lovelife26 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:34 pm

I am a student at American (#56), and am contemplating transferring to University of Maryland (#41). UMD will be in-state for me; however, I would like to practice in D.C. after. I can’t decide whether transferring is the right decision for me and I need to make a decision ASAP!!!

Other factors: UMD will be cheaper by about $10K; Fall internship in D.C. which I am thinking about commuting to if I transfer.
Any UMD students want to weigh in on whether they find having/getting an internship harder due to being in Baltimore?
Also, is the difference in ranking significant enough to make a difference when applying for jobs in the future?

Please help!! Thanks so much!!

jingosaur

Re: Transfer Decision! (AU/UMD) - need decision ASAP!!

Postby jingosaur » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:50 pm

I hate to break it to you, but American University is not the #56 law school in the nation. Less than 40% of its grads get a full-time, JD required job within 9 months of graduation. Sounds more like a Tier 3/Tier 4 to me.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... n&show=ABA
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... d&show=ABA

Maryland places a little more than half of their students in full-time JD required jobs with 9 months of graduation so on the surface, 10k a year off looks like the best decision financially. However there are 2 more things that you need to consider:

1. Transfers are second-class students. They had a 1L at a different school and their 1L year doesn't match up to competitors at OCI. I've heard a lot of stories of people transfering from T2s and T3s to T14s and then not getting a good job because they looked like damaged goods at OCI. Transfering from American to Maryland may not be as bad though since they're not as far apart.

2. You have to look at where you stand in your class. Kids at the top of American do okay. It's just that if you're below the top 25%, there's a very good chance that you'll be completely unemployed 9 months out with a degree that only holds water in DC, which is one of the most competitive legal markets. You don't want that. Maryland has more consistent employment numbers across the class, but if you finish near the top, you may be slightly worse off.

Gun to my head though, I'd pick Maryland

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:54 pm

Whats your class rank?

You should probably gtfo of AU while you can.

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:58 pm

If you're in the top 30% at American, stay there.

If you're anywhere else and you *can* gtfo, then gtfo.

Lovelife26

Postby Lovelife26 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:33 pm

thanks for weiging in. No, I am in the top 50% (if that counts). I also have good relaptionship with my professors which I think will come in handy. The attorneys I talked to at work think of UMD and AU as being similar for them when it comes to hiring (not top schools, but not bottom either), but the data on the number of students from AU getting full time jobs after graduation is definitely scary.

I like AU and rather stay in DC than Bmore, but it doesn't seem like AU is doing much to help their students find jobs..still undecided :/

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:36 pm

Yeah, transfer.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:52 pm

Nova wrote:Yeah, transfer.

To add a little more:
You probably have some good DC connections now and Maryland still places pretty well in DC. Going to Maryland opens up the Gov't/DA/low paying state gov't stuff in Maryland, which isn't ideal, but let's be realistic about the current market. It will also open up Delaware a little, which requires a lot of corporate law because of Delaware corporations.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:15 pm

Nova wrote:You should probably gtfo of AU while you can.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:47 pm

Lovelife26 wrote:thanks for weiging in. No, I am in the top 50% (if that counts). I also have good relaptionship with my professors which I think will come in handy. The attorneys I talked to at work think of UMD and AU as being similar for them when it comes to hiring (not top schools, but not bottom either), but the data on the number of students from AU getting full time jobs after graduation is definitely scary.

I like AU and rather stay in DC than Bmore, but it doesn't seem like AU is doing much to help their students find jobs..still undecided :/

Median? Get out of there, and be grateful that you had the option to escape.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:49 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:If you're in the top 30% at American, stay there.

I want to intervene and say this is awful advice. I know its a moot point at this juncture because OP isn't top 30%. But if I were at AU PERIOD I would be looking to split.

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:23 am

stillwater wrote:

I want to intervene and say this is awful advice. I know its a moot point at this juncture because OP isn't top 30%. But if I were at AU PERIOD I would be looking to split.

Yeah, it's not awful advice. AU is terrible, but transferring into UMD is really not much better. If you're top 30% at AU, you at least have a fighting chance of getting a JD-required job. If you transfer into UMD, you're probably effed.

Motivator9

Postby Motivator9 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:30 am

Nova wrote:Whats your class rank?

You should probably gtfo of AU while you can.

Motivator9

Postby Motivator9 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:32 am

Btw, what is it that you want todo with your JD? International law I presume.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:39 am

twentypercentmore wrote:
stillwater wrote:

Yeah, it's not awful advice. AU is terrible, but transferring into UMD is really not much better. If you're top 30% at AU, you at least have a fighting chance of getting a JD-required job. If you transfer into UMD, you're probably effed.

i guess the thrust of my comment was that AU isnt really a T1 or T2, its a T3. I understand what you're saying but I just think AU is that dismal. Maryland at least opens Maryland. AU seems to feed a market it is already DOA in.

Trout et al

Postby Trout et al » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:45 am

If your around median it makes sense to transfer up just to save 10k+interest. Best of luck.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”