ASU for 26 or Vandy for 32?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
untar614

Re: ASU for 26 or Vandy for 32?

Postby untar614 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:38 pm

'm really warry of a reverse splitter of that magnitude taking out 150k+ when he would have to be top third-ish (maybe a little more room) to be in position to pay off that debt. Yes, it's a good deal given his LSAT score, but that doesn't make it a good decision. I know people like to say assume you'll be at median, but, while nowhere near perfect, the LSAT is the best predictor of 1L grades. In the middle of the pack when we're talking a few point's difference, it likely won't mean much, but OP is 5 points below the 25th %ile for Vanderbilt. If s/he isn't capable of substantial improvement there, I really don't like his/her odds to be above median, let alone top third.

Motivator9

Postby Motivator9 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:54 pm

untar614 wrote:'m really warry of a reverse splitter of that magnitude taking out 150k+ when he would have to be top third-ish (maybe a little more room) to be in position to pay off that debt. Yes, it's a good deal given his LSAT score, but that doesn't make it a good decision. I know people like to say assume you'll be at median, but, while nowhere near perfect, the LSAT is the best predictor of 1L grades. In the middle of the pack when we're talking a few point's difference, it likely won't mean much, but OP is 5 points below the 25th %ile for Vanderbilt. If s/he isn't capable of substantial improvement there, I really don't like his/her odds to be above median, let alone top third.

Well, how much more would he have to pay at a lower ranked school? Just start going down the list . With those numbers, you'll have to go down pretty far to get a substantial scholarship. But I do see where you're coming from.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:03 am

StillIll wrote:Everyone here talks smack on Kaplan, but I went from a 160 diagnostic to a 176 actual test using only the Kaplan class and personal study (with Kaplan materials). I had a great teacher... it really just depends on yourself (do you have a natural intuitive feel for LSAT questions) and your teacher.

Kaplan's methods are inferior. I mean, the company doesn't even distinguish between sufficient and necessary assumption questions in LR. That's utterly outrageous. And it's far from the only flaw in their approach.

If you can score 160 on a cold diagnostic, odds are you can get yourself into the 170s simply by taking PTs and never even formally studying a prep company's techniques. I would wager that your ultimate score is much more a testament to your native abilities than to Kaplan's effectiveness.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:07 am

Motivator9 wrote:Even if he scores 5 points higher on his LSAT, Vandy will probably give him the same amount of money, based on similar numbers of past applicants. In fact, if even if you bumped his lsat to a 165, I still don't think you would get anything besides sticker price at a t14, considering you've already taken the lsat 3 times. Vandy looks like the right call here.

http://mylsn.info/dmk6f5

Vandy's the better choice as against ASU, but it's not the right call here. The right call is not attending either school at these prices.

Motivator9

Postby Motivator9 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:27 am

Ti Malice wrote:
Motivator9 wrote:Even if he scores 5 points higher on his LSAT, Vandy will probably give him the same amount of money, based on similar numbers of past applicants. In fact, if even if you bumped his lsat to a 165, I still don't think you would get anything besides sticker price at a t14, considering you've already taken the lsat 3 times. Vandy looks like the right call here.

Vandy's the better choice as against ASU, but it's not the right call here. The right call is not attending either school at these prices.

Ya, maybe, but like I said, he wont get a substantial scholarship unless he is willing to settle for a school ranked 60-90.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:45 am

Motivator9 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:

Ya, maybe, but like I said, he wont get a substantial scholarship unless he is willing to settle for a school ranked 60-90.

Right. Which is why the two best options currently before the OP are: (1) reevaluate/improve prior study approach, use better prep materials, retake the LSAT, and then evaluate the possibilities; or (2) don't go to law school.

Motivator9

Postby Motivator9 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:09 am

Ti Malice wrote:
Motivator9 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:

Right. Which is why the two best options currently before the OP are: (1) reevaluate/improve prior study approach, use better prep materials, retake the LSAT, and then evaluate the possibilities; or (2) don't go to law school.

Idk, if your sold on going to law school, and you've taken the LSAT three times already, I would take Vandy and work my ass off once school starts. Don't see him getting a better offer unless he has a substantial increase on his LSAT, which I guess is still possible. At least we can rule out ASU lol

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:37 am

Vandy puts the COL figure at 24k/year....If you follow that level of spending w/ 32k a year tuition, you will be graduating with $207,000 in debt. That is far and away in the biglaw or PAYE for 20 years category. I'm sure you can knock a solid 5k off that COL figure but that doesn't really change much as far as your prospective options.

That's a TON of money for Vandy...an absurd amount of debt to incur for a degree for which you don't, as of yet, know what you want to use for....a ton of money that retaking the LSAT could potentially dramatically reduce...

Personally, Vandy @ 200k sits exactly at my marker between not attending and attending. It's a really tough call.

Motivator9

Postby Motivator9 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:45 am

sinfiery wrote:Vandy puts the COL figure at 24k/year....If you follow that level of spending w/ 32k a year tuition, you will be graduating with $207,000 in debt. That is far and away in the biglaw or PAYE for 20 years category. I'm sure you can knock a solid 5k off that COL figure but that doesn't really change much as far as your prospective options.

That's a TON of money for Vandy...an absurd amount of debt to incur for a degree for which you don't, as of yet, know what you want to use for....a ton of money that retaking the LSAT could potentially dramatically reduce...

Personally, Vandy @ 200k sits exactly at my marker between not attending and attending. It's a really tough call.

Tough call indeed. Good luck, and I hope you the decision that works out best for you.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:15 am

Take time off if you actually took three time and really work for your fourth take. I have friends that have taken four times at the T6, it can be done. Although, I'd not be surprised if you didn't actually take three times, and are just trying to avoid the retake speech.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:15 am

sinfiery wrote:Personally, Vandy @ 200k sits exactly at my marker between not attending and attending. It's a really tough call.

Really? For me It's clearly on the "not attending" side. No way would I take out biglaw level debt if I had less than a 50% chance of getting biglaw

Motivator9 wrote:Idk, if your sold on going to law school, and you've taken the LSAT three times already, I would take Vandy and work my ass off once school starts. Don't see him getting a better offer unless he has a substantial increase on his LSAT, which I guess is still possible. At least we can rule out ASU lol

No one should be sold on going to law school without some serious qualifiers. S/he needs to improve LSAT to get better offers. If s/he can't, then that makes not going a very clear option. Again, some of you may be against the notion of using LSAT to predict 1L success, and for the middle of the pack I'd agree, but if OP can't even come close the Vandy's 25th %ile, I have a hard time believing s/he will get high enough of a class rank to get a job that can pay that off.

Ti Malice wrote:

^this.

The only way I could see OP going to Vandy right now is if s/he is just looking for any old lawyer job that isn't too competitive and is content being on PAYE for 20 years (and saves up money to handle the tax bomb)

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:30 pm

From a person attending Vandy this fall: I hope you attend but I wouldn't for anything over 100k.

I know they "don't negotiate" scholarships but it may be worth a shot

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:14 pm

Grats on Vandy with that LSAT. I don't know if you got in because they needed to round up their GPA median, or because you have some stellar softs, but I would think long and hard before attending for 200k. I'll be there this fall, but I definitely wouldn't do it for that price. That said, I certainly wouldn't do Arizona for 26k/yr if that we're my only other option. If you're not very debt averse, go for it and take Vandy. Just be aware of the enormous risk you're taking. Do you have a lot of UG debt?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”