Decided Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ronanOgara

Gold

Re: HELP - Mercer vs WVU - need to decide by early august!

Post by ronanOgara » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:TBF, the data from LST for these two schools is fairly solid.
I'm thinking out loud here, but a school like WVU could be a good bet if someone was trying to figure out which law schools will get better in the coming years. It has the whole state to itself, its employment data solid, and it might be able to be more selective if more people start attending schools based on their employment chances rather than their rank. Schools like American and Catholic could be on their way out

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:02 pm

Forgot to mention that it's also cheap for instate tuition payers.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:16 pm

Given the abysmal state of the Georgia (read: Atlanta) legal market and the fact you have no ties to any smaller GA markets, I'd say definitely not Mercer.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:18 pm

as stars burn wrote:
romothesavior wrote:TBF, the data from LST for these two schools is fairly solid.
I still remain skeptical :wink:
Why? I think TLS gets understandably worn down by all the people seeking affirmation for horrible plans ("I'm going to borrow 200k to attend Florida Coastal and be at the top of my class and get Miami BigLaw and do lines of coke off of ass models") and is too quick to toss out the axiom of "Retake, T14 or death."

For the OP's situation, I think it makes perfect sense. He'll have little to no debt, so if he doesn't land a high salary gig immediately he's not totally screwed. WVU seems to have good employment numbers. As long as he's fine being geographically limited for a while, why not?

Moot point since he's already decided, just arguing that going to the regional at a deep discount can make perfect sense for a lot of people.

hephaestus

Gold

Re: Decided

Post by hephaestus » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:22 pm

The WV NLJ250 firms pay less than 80k, so don't assume you can make 100k even if you are in the top 10% and get an offer. Also, it's one of the more insular markets in the US.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:04 pm

Yeah not really seeing much of a problem here either. OP seems to understand the job prospects are regional. Maybe overestimating the amount of "biglaw" in WV but if it doesn't work out its not the end of the world.

Snowboarder1588

Bronze

Post by Snowboarder1588 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:47 pm

ImNoScar wrote:The WV NLJ250 firms pay less than 80k, so don't assume you can make 100k even if you are in the top 10% and get an offer. Also, it's one of the more insular markets in the US.

Keep in mind though that 80K in WV equates to 100K+ in places such as NYC, DC, LA, etc...with much higher cost of living.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”