Attn Cynics: Is Rutgers-C worth it even w/ full scholarship?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jbagelboy

Re: Attn Cynics: Is Rutgers-C worth it even w/ full scholarship?

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:03 pm

graduatingat31 wrote:Welp, holy crap...got a full ride to WUSTL.

Is it crazy that I'm still hesitant? I have no money saved, so I'd have to take out what, like 60k cover cost of living? Is that worth it for WUSTL?

Also had another meeting with the car dealership guy, that seems like a pretty sure thing but I'd be probably making closer to 60-80k after the training period, not six figures.

What do I do?

Trollolololol WUSTL is so blatant.

You really think you'd make that at a car dealership? Everyone would be trying to work at dealerships if that was the case: $70K/year is more than most entry level professional positions, i.e. actuaries, paralegals, accountants, consultants, personal bankers, teachers, ect. I would take that offer with a fair degree of skepticism, but then again, you would know since you're the one there.

WUSTL is definitely worth it with a full ride if you want to be an attorney. Its actually worth it for upwards of $100K IMO. However, no one can predict whether WUSTL will maintain this scholarship pattern in future years, so if the job opportunity is real, I would probably take it, save all the earnings and reapply. But washu is a great school.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:13 pm

I'm a non-trad student (10 years out) and went to a strong regional (either WUSTL or similar school) on a full ride. If you get good grades you will have very good options and it will be worth it. But make absolutely sure you like the law, because a lot of people are at least a year in before they realize that they hate being an attorney. And even if you're making $160k if you hate your job you'll be unhappy.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:10 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:
I honestly think you have a good shot at getting admitted, with a full ride, at WUSTL this year. They are buying numbers like crazy.

See? :P

Dude, you go. WUSTL isn't going to be buying numbers like this next year - they are doing it this year because stuff was even worse than they expected, their class was looking bad, and the T14 keep on raiding them via waitlists. Your 2.75 LSAC GPA is going to keep you out of $$ at any T14 schools, even though you have a good shot at getting into GT or NU next year - you'll still be paying up the ass for it. Your 172 is shiny, but it's not enough to get you great scholly money at schools better than WUSTL - with that 2.75, full tuition paid at WUSTL is a great deal.

You'll still have a very good cycle next year, but the dm;fr brigade at WUSTL this year won't be around next year.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:26 pm

I agree, if you're going to go, go now, as this likely won't be available again. WUSTL gives you good job prospects - even if you don't get biglaw, odds are you'll probably have a decent job, and with only CoL debt, that's very manageable (if you look hard in STL, you can find studios for 400/month). The only comparable option I see would be Northwestern, which would give you at most probably 30k, so you're still looking at well over 200k in debt from there. It's a better shot at biglaw, but a lot of debt to gamble with. If you wouldn't do Northwestern at sticker over WUSTL for free and you definitely want to be a lawyer, I'd take this, given your circumstances.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:38 pm

graduatingat31 wrote:Welp, holy crap...got a full ride to WUSTL.

Is it crazy that I'm still hesitant? I have no money saved, so I'd have to take out what, like 60k cover cost of living? Is that worth it for WUSTL?

Also had another meeting with the car dealership guy, that seems like a pretty sure thing but I'd be probably making closer to 60-80k after the training period, not six figures.

What do I do?

This is a tough call to make. Your chances of biglaw out of WUSTL are probably around 30%. Decent, better than RUC, but not a sure thing.

But the only T13 I could see taking you is NW and I'm not sure you'd get money.

Do you want to be a lawyer if you can't work biglaw?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”