University of Akron School of Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dominicmassue
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:13 pm

Re: University of Akron School of Law

Postby dominicmassue » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:11 pm

But it's no longer going to be Cooley, that was what I was trying to say. And if it's now going to be called WMU Law School and not Cooley, the "Cooley" stigma may begin to fade. I'm assuming they will even create respectable LSAT and GPA medians (155/3.5) after they merge and will stop accepting everyone/giving everyone full rides. For all the Cooley bashing, and I agree with 99% of it, let's admit already that Cooley teaches the same things as any T1 school; it's the reputation of the school as a diploma mill, awful student representation and shady admin tactics that made you all think of Cooley that way, not that it doesn't teach law... Although they will never touch U of M, I could see them being second best law school in the state within a few years.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: University of Akron School of Law

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:22 pm

dominicmassue wrote:But it's no longer going to be Cooley, that was what I was trying to say. And if it's now going to be called WMU Law School and not Cooley, the "Cooley" stigma may begin to fade. I'm assuming they will even create respectable LSAT and GPA medians (155/3.5) after they merge and will stop accepting everyone/giving everyone full rides. For all the Cooley bashing, and I agree with 99% of it, let's admit already that Cooley teaches the same things as any T1 school; it's the reputation of the school as a diploma mill, awful student representation and shady admin tactics that made you all think of Cooley that way, not that it doesn't teach law... Although they will never touch U of M, I could see them being second best law school in the state within a few years.


Yes, and Phillip Morris stopped making cigarettes when they changed their name to Altria.

The Cooley stigma isn't going to fade. Why? It's because of stuff like this. Instead of addressing the fundamental problems with their business model, they are simply changing the name.

Paul Campos
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:44 am

Re: University of Akron School of Law

Postby Paul Campos » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:30 pm

WMU and Cooley aren't merging. The two institutions are going to remain completely independent from each other, both academically and financially. WMU is selling Cooley the right to place WMU's name in front of Thomas J. Cooley Law School.

BTW this is SOP for any enterprise that has ripped people off long enough to start getting really bad publicity -- change the name and keep on keeping on.

dominicmassue
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:13 pm

Re: University of Akron School of Law

Postby dominicmassue » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:46 pm

I just read that, you are right. I hope they paid WMU alot to ruin their name.

In any case, Akron is nowhere near Cooley in terms of reputation. Akron has a solid legal rep, respectable clinics, a top-ranked trial team, and top-50 law review. Other than the scholarship retention issue, they seem like a fine law school, and they changed those stips starting this year; that is why it's top 1/3 instead of top 15%. The only negative I hear is employment %.

Other than the graduate legal employment numbers, which is obviously one of the most important defining statistics of any law school, why would I not go to Akron for free? Is this an example of TLS just being elitist? I don't think finding some legal employment will be impossible, and I don't think people will consider Akron Law as a negative on a resume. Chances are an employer will either not have heard of Akron, other than the city where Lebron James grew up, or if the employer is within the region, have a positive opinion. (Yes, I am assuming I will be top 10-15% - you can call me a "special snowflake." I know if I end up shittin the bed, I'll be SOL and unemployed. Humor me.)

My original question was directed towards anyone who may have first-hand knowledge of Akron grads working in Michigan or Akron's rep in Michigan generally.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: University of Akron School of Law

Postby Nova » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:58 pm

dominicmassue wrote: I am assuming I will be top 10-15%

thats retarded

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: University of Akron School of Law

Postby Nova » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:05 pm

dominicmassue wrote:Other than the graduate legal employment numbers, which is obviously one of the most important defining statistics of any law school, why would I not go to Akron for free? Is this an example of TLS just being elitist?

Spending 3 years on less than a 50% chance of practicing [shit]law is not going to be endorsed on TLS.

Its not free. Youre losing out on 3 years of FT income (~100k?) and will still have to pay cost of living.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: University of Akron School of Law

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:27 pm

dominicmassue wrote:But it's no longer going to be Cooley, that was what I was trying to say. And if it's now going to be called WMU Law School and not Cooley, the "Cooley" stigma may begin to fade. I'm assuming they will even create respectable LSAT and GPA medians (155/3.5) after they merge and will stop accepting everyone/giving everyone full rides.


They don't give out full rides. Their scholarships top out at 3/4 tuition.

dominicmassue wrote: Although they will never touch U of M, I could see them being second best law school in the state within a few years.


Out of the six schools in Michigan, Cooley's employment stats are the worst by far (only U of Detroit-Mercy's comes close). Their reputation as a smoldering TTTT will never wholly fade away, and will certainly preclude Cooley from becoming the second best law school in the state. You have no idea what you're talking about.

norkanite
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:34 pm

Re: University of Akron School of Law

Postby norkanite » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:28 pm

.
Last edited by norkanite on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dominicmassue
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:13 pm

Re: University of Akron School of Law

Postby dominicmassue » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:38 pm

Nova wrote:
dominicmassue wrote:Other than the graduate legal employment numbers, which is obviously one of the most important defining statistics of any law school, why would I not go to Akron for free? Is this an example of TLS just being elitist?

Spending 3 years on less than a 50% chance of practicing [shit]law is not going to be endorsed on TLS.

Its not free. Youre losing out on 3 years of FT income (~100k?) and will still have to pay cost of living.


I understand that. But you are missing my point. The 50% employment number is going to vary widely based on where you end up ranked in the class. If you are dead last, it will be 99% you aren't getting a job, but if you are top 10%, it should be a lot higher, correct? I mean, the top of the classes are the ones taking the jobs. So if I am top 10% in the class, I would put money on my chances of landing any legal job being closer to 100%.

And I'm not sure where you landed a job after UG, but 33k a year with my regrettable, unmarketable major isn't happening. More like $8/hr at some menial shit job.

Free law school at Akron instead of flipping burgers for three years in Flint, MI doesn't sound nearly as shitty as you guys on TLS make it out to be. I know someone is going to respond with the wholly unoriginal, "90% chance you aren't top 10%," but hey, you gotta bet to win.

So, again, ASSUMING I maintain top 10-15% grades, does anyone have any insight into Akron placing in Michigan?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15457
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: University of Akron School of Law

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Somewhere south of 10 people, perhaps as few as zero, have gotten jobs in Michigan out of this school in the classes of 2010-2012.

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: University of Akron School of Law

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:42 pm

Why would you go to some crappy school in Ohio if your goal was to get a job in Michigan?

dominicmassue
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:13 pm

Re: University of Akron School of Law

Postby dominicmassue » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:20 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Somewhere south of 10 people, perhaps as few as zero, have gotten jobs in Michigan out of this school in the classes of 2010-2012.


Source of this info?

BigZuck wrote:Why would you go to some crappy school in Ohio if your goal was to get a job in Michigan?


Because I don't want to pay for crappy schools in Michigan when I can go for free in Ohio.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15457
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: University of Akron School of Law

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:26 pm

dominicmassue wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Somewhere south of 10 people, perhaps as few as zero, have gotten jobs in Michigan out of this school in the classes of 2010-2012.


Source of this info?

Lstscorereports.com

Akron-->ABA Data-->Scroll to the bottom

Paul Campos
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:44 am

Re: University of Akron School of Law

Postby Paul Campos » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:38 pm

I grew up in Michigan, I went to law school in Michigan, I have a lot of lawyer friends in Michigan.

Nobody in Michigan has ever heard of Akron's law school. (This is only a slight exaggeration). You have no better chance of getting a legal job in Michigan with an Akron law degree than you would from any other out of state unranked school, which is to say very little.

It's still a better idea than MSU at sticker though.

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: University of Akron School of Law

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:41 pm

dominicmassue wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Somewhere south of 10 people, perhaps as few as zero, have gotten jobs in Michigan out of this school in the classes of 2010-2012.


Source of this info?

BigZuck wrote:Why would you go to some crappy school in Ohio if your goal was to get a job in Michigan?


Because I don't want to pay for crappy schools in Michigan when I can go for free in Ohio.


Retake

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: University of Akron School of Law

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:11 pm

dominicmassue wrote:Because I don't want to pay for crappy schools in Michigan when I can go to a crappy school for free in Ohio.


FTFY, bro. HTH.

BigZuck wrote:Retake

User avatar
Bless
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:32 am

Re: University of Akron School of Law

Postby Bless » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:32 pm

dominicmassue wrote:That question is setting me up for criticism, but I'll bite.

Represented myself pro se in one criminal and one civil case. Won both. 5+ years WE. Took LSAT with absolutely NO prep - 160. Aced every class I actually studied for in undergrad. And I'm just damn confident.

If that's all true -- and I almost didn't respond because I was at one point convinced this was flame -- you are really underachieving by settling for a shit law school. Also, you're being a bit naïve about the realities of the legal climate nationwide and your prospects from this school, both factors which are largely irrespective of how well you may do as far as class ranking/networking is concerned coming out of Akron.

Even if the only thing true in the above quoted post is that you got a 160 with no prep (scratch that, undoubtedly even with prep), you are reallllllly selling yourself short by not preparing, retaking, and applying & accepting admission to a much, much better law school.

I mean, it's only your career we're talking about here.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2195
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: University of Akron School of Law

Postby jingosaur » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:08 pm

dominicmassue wrote:And I'm not sure where you landed a job after UG, but 33k a year with my regrettable, unmarketable major isn't happening. More like $8/hr at some menial shit job.

Free law school at Akron instead of flipping burgers for three years in Flint, MI doesn't sound nearly as shitty as you guys on TLS make it out to be. I know someone is going to respond with the wholly unoriginal, "90% chance you aren't top 10%," but hey, you gotta bet to win.


You're missing the point. We're not saying that Akron is worse than an $8/hour minimum wage job (maybe some are). We're saying that if you got a 160 on the LSAT with no prep, then the options that you would have with LSAT prep, a successful retake, and a year off to reapply and try to get some W/E would be MUCH MUCH better than Akron for a job in Michigan. You would be able to get into one of the better Michigan schools with $$$ and easier stips and would have a significantly better chance of accomplishing your goals.

You have a lot more options that "flipping burgers" or "free law school at Akron". Having that kind of tunnel vision will hurt you in life.

User avatar
WhiteRabbit
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:05 pm

Re: University of Akron School of Law

Postby WhiteRabbit » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:10 pm

dominicmassue wrote:But it's no longer going to be Cooley, that was what I was trying to say. And if it's now going to be called WMU Law School and not Cooley, the "Cooley" stigma may begin to fade. I'm assuming they will even create respectable LSAT and GPA medians (155/3.5) after they merge and will stop accepting everyone/giving everyone full rides. For all the Cooley bashing, and I agree with 99% of it, let's admit already that Cooley teaches the same things as any T1 school; it's the reputation of the school as a diploma mill, awful student representation and shady admin tactics that made you all think of Cooley that way, not that it doesn't teach law... Although they will never touch U of M, I could see them being second best law school in the state within a few years.


A ruling Tuesday by the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals will probably spell the end of the hope that Cooley graduates can get any of their money back from the school, but it should also expose the law school as a highly questionable investment for prospective lawyers:

http://blogs.reuters.com/alison-frankel/2013/07/30/underemployed-cooley-law-grads-lose-the-war-but-win-the-battle/

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: University of Akron School of Law

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:34 pm

WhiteRabbit wrote:A ruling Tuesday by the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals will probably spell the end of the hope that Cooley graduates can get any of their money back from the school, but it should also expose the law school as a highly questionable investment for prospective lawyers:

http://blogs.reuters.com/alison-frankel/2013/07/30/underemployed-cooley-law-grads-lose-the-war-but-win-the-battle/


Breaking news: Cooley a bad investment. Later this hour: Water wet, Pope Catholic.

JJ123
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:40 am

Re: University of Akron School of Law

Postby JJ123 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:48 pm

Then go to crackron, get top 10%, then transfer to Michigan. Or Ohio State. Or Case Western (wouldn't even have to move).




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests