Should splitters blanket T14 or no?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
laww

Should splitters blanket T14 or no?

Postby laww » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:49 am

If I score 173+ in Oct. do I just apply to a couple of the T14s or all of them (even if I have no shot at them)?

3.0GPA LSAC.

Edit: I know I don't have my LSAT score yet but I've been PT'ing pretty high. My highest LSAT was PT 58 on which I got a 179 and I'm averaging about 3-5 wrong per test atm. Hoping to own this test in October with -0 lol.

Toby Ziegler

Re: Should splitters blanket T14 or no?

Postby Toby Ziegler » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:54 am

Of course you're never a sure bet as a splitter, but it seems a high LSAT is going to be a sought after commodity. Not to mention you will eliminate any "what if's". Apply as early as possible and make sure your apps are polished.

laww

Postby laww » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:57 am

Is there a point in spending money on sending an app to HYS though? or even CCN? I read that even with a 99 percentile LSAT a 3.0 gpa will get me nowhere except northwestern (maybe).

gertie

Postby gertie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:00 am

I say why not try. I know someone who was accepted at NYU with scores similar to yours(high LSAT, GPA was a 3.2).

laww wrote:Is there a point in spending money on sending an app to HYS though? or even CCN? I read that even with a 99 percentile LSAT a 3.0 gpa will get me nowhere except northwestern (maybe).

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:02 am

CCN - yes.
HYS - no

laww

Postby laww » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:06 am

Right but 3.0 vs 3.2 is a huge difference for law schools no?

I have a reason why my GPA is low and I believe that I do have what it takes to do well considering that even though I did poorly in level 100 required classes (the foundations if you will) I managed to get A's in 300/400 level classes. My own health issues, health issues faced by my mum, and our financial situation contributed to my poor performance in first 1.5-2 years of college.

However I was told LS dgaf about that.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:12 am

laww wrote:Right but 3.0 vs 3.2 is a huge difference for law schools no?

I have a reason why my GPA is low and I believe that I do have what it takes to do well considering that even though I did poorly in level 100 required classes (the foundations if you will) I managed to get A's in 300/400 level classes. My own health issues, health issues faced by my mum, and our financial situation contributed to my poor performance in first 1.5-2 years of college.

You're right, they d

I would probably blanket everything but HYS. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take amirite?

laww

Postby laww » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:14 am

BigZuck wrote:

You're right, they d

I would probably blanket everything but HYS. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take amirite?

On MYLSN the lowest Stanford GPA was a 3.4. Would a concise explanation for my GPA work towards my favor if I apply to S?

I'm not sure I understood your comment by "they d" so I'm asking lol. They do or don't?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:23 am

laww wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

You're right, they d

On MYLSN the lowest Stanford GPA was a 3.4. Would a concise explanation for my GPA work towards my favor if I apply to S?

I'm not sure I understood your comment by "they d" so I'm asking lol. They do or don't?

no it won"t help. S won't take you. Sorry

laww

Postby laww » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:27 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
laww wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

You're right, they d

no it won"t help. S won't take you. Sorry

Okay cool. So blanket from CCN down to the last T14.

Finaly I read that a strategy for splitters is to ED UVA. However isn't a ED binding? What happens if I (in some crazy scenario) get into NYU or Chicago but I also get into ED UVA. Do I have to attend UVA?

laww

Postby laww » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:27 am

I'm asking these questions because I'm taking a break today and I want to learn more about the application process, etc.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:31 am

laww wrote:I'm asking these questions because I'm taking a break today and I want to learn more about the application process, etc.

You said they "don't give a fuck" and I said you're right, they "don't."

You absolutely, 100%, will not get in to HYS. Your highest ranked most realistic shot is probably UVA but I would take a stab at CCN. YOLO.

And yes, ED is binding so if you EDed UVA and got in you would have to attend.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:33 am

Here is a blogpost on splitters from our resident number cruncher, elterrible78

Okay, splitter post is up. Go ahead and check it out if you're interested. There are charts with colors and everything!

http://www.admissionsbythenumbers.com

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:35 am

laww wrote:Finaly I read that a strategy for splitters is to ED UVA. However isn't a ED binding? What happens if I (in some crazy scenario) get into NYU or Chicago but I also get into ED UVA. Do I have to attend UVA?

Yes, ED is binding, so you'd have to either go to UVA or nowhere for a year. And you're right...while getting into NYU or Chicago is not impossible, I guess, it would be a pretty crazy scenario for you to get in. To be honest, I suspect EDing UVA gives you your best chance for admission to a T14. Not that you can't get in other places, but this is your (relatively) safest bet.

laww

Postby laww » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:36 am

Thanks. I will probably do that.

What about ED to Penn/NYU?

Is that risky?

If I ED there's little chance of me getting money anyway :/ so would it really matter?

Also since less people are taking the LSAT and also less people doing well on it, would that make admissions rates change at all? Would more emphasis be placed on LSAT?
Last edited by laww on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:38 am

JamMasterJ wrote:CCN - yes.
HYS - no

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:42 am

laww wrote:Thanks. I will probably do that.

What about ED to Penn/NYU?

Is that risky?

If I ED there's little chance of me getting money anyway :/ so would it really matter?

Also since less people are taking the LSAT and also less people doing well on it, would that make admissions rates change at all? Would more emphasis be placed on LSAT?

You can only ED to one school, so if you're going to do it, go with UVA. ED gives you no edge as a splitter at either NYU or Penn, whereas it gives you a huge advantage applying to UVA. In other words, as far as I can tell, you'd be wasting that ED on NYU or Penn, and applying RD to UVA with those numbers is far from a sure thing.

EDIT: If you just have to ED somewhere other than UVA, Chicago at least gives you a boost for EDing as a splitter (and a big one at that), but that GPA is really, really low for Chicago, and is far more likely to be considered at UVA.
Last edited by elterrible78 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

laww

Postby laww » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:44 am

Okay nice.

Oof and I have some more questions if that is okay...

Would doing my CAS in September be a good idea? I'm signed up for Oct LSAT.

I am getting a grade changed from a B to an A because my professor gave me the wrong grade. However, he is out of the country but he said he will sign the form when he returns in Sept.

When is the latest I should get my recommendations in?

My goal (from what I read so far) is to send out my apps by Nov 15.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:48 am

laww wrote:Okay nice.

I am getting a grade changed from a B to an A because my professor gave me the wrong grade. However, he is out of the country but he said he will sign the form when he returns in Sept.

Send your apps just as early as you possibly can. You should ideally have them sent and have the school just waiting on your LSAT...I think that in your situation, you need every edge you can get, and many schools give a substantial boost for applying earlier. If you're sitting for the October LSAT (and it's mid-July right now), you are really screwing yourself over by setting your target for November 15th. Barring uncooperative recommendors, there is no reason whatsoever to not have your apps out as soon as you get your transcript fixed and over to the LSAC.

laww

Postby laww » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:50 am

elterrible78 wrote:
laww wrote:Okay nice.

Send your apps just as early as you possibly can. You should ideally have them sent and have the school just waiting on your LSAT...I think that in your situation, you need every edge you can get, and many schools give a substantial boost for applying earlier. If you're sitting for the October LSAT (and it's mid-July right now), you are really screwing yourself over by setting your target for November 15th. Barring uncooperative recommendors, there is no reason whatsoever to not have your apps out as soon as you get your transcript fixed and over to the LSAC.

Okay. So then I should send out requests for recommendations this week? I will have time to write up requests to send to professors on the weekend and I have about 4 people in mind. Would that be good?

I'm kind of confused about LORs though... Do i have to ask professors to send their rec to me or do they have to upload it somewhere? Please tell me.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:58 am

You can possibly ED to NYU as soon as you get the LSAT back, then ED to UVA after you are waitlisted at NYU

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:59 am

CLS usually has a GPA floor of around 3.25, NYU's is slightly lower but still well above yours (maybe 3.15-3.2). You could send a YOLO app to each if you're above the 75th percentile (175+ for CLS, 174+ for NYU), but the chances are effectively nil.

The best options for a 3.0 are usually NU (who seems to take anyone with WE and a 170) and GULC. You could ED UVA and see what happens, but it's a long shot, and you should probably target NU.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:05 pm

If you're still in school wait a year to apply and get that GPA up. If you've already graduated you'll have a decent shot at Northwestern with a 170+.

laww

Postby laww » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:15 pm

Okay.

I have a question about northwestern...

Its in the T14 but if I want to do biglaw is it a good school to attend for that?

It has taken people with worse GPA than mine.

Also do you think in the future schools will put more emphasis on LSAT? Since less people are taking LSAT higher scores will be more sought after right?
Last edited by laww on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:18 pm

laww wrote:Okay.

I have a question about northwestern...

Its in the T14 but if I want to do biglaw is it a good school to attend for that?

It has taken people with worse GPA than mine.

You know...a lot of this stuff you could be looking up on your own, and the info is not hard to find. Some of these questions are getting silly, and I don't want to be the dick who says "search function" but...search function, come on.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”