(URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

CCN or Wait a year for HYS?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:22 am

CCN ($63,000 COA)
48
75%
Reapply to HYS ($150,00 COA?)
5
8%
You hate me and think I shouldn't go at all (0 COA)
11
17%
 
Total votes: 64

User avatar
Fussell
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:45 am

(URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Postby Fussell » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:22 am

I have until tomorrow afternoon to decide whether or not I will attend one of CCN. I applied in the 2012-13 cycle with a 169 and was accepted to the CCN school I most wanted to attend of the three. I was effectively rejected from HYS. This past June, I retook the LSAT and increased my score to a 171.

So, my numbers are 171, 3.98, non-URM.

I have currently submitted a seat deposit to my CCN school and must decide by tomorrow whether to attend that school or wait a year and reapply to CCNHYS. I currently have a half scholarship at the school I have seat deposited at. The question that I think will most determine the outcome of my decision is one I don't know. My parents make over the oft-mentioned $180,000 on Harvard's financial aid website, but won't be giving me more than $14,000 towards law school total. Would HYS offer me any aid if I were accepted? If not, it seems to me that HYS is not worth $90,000 more than CCN. Do you agree?

I plan to work in a very lucrative particular field of law, where I currently work as an analyst, and my goal is to amass a great deal of money in the long run. My interest in Bigfed or academia is minimal, and I have no interest in PI. I have already taken a year-off before law school and an additional year would yield little savings or valuable experience.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts. I would also like to throw a shout-out to retaking, it is well worth it!

Also, if you wouldn't quote me, I would appreciate it.

Edited: for more info and removal of unnecessary information.
Last edited by Fussell on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

RodneyRuxin
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: (URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Postby RodneyRuxin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:28 am

If your parents have the money there's nothing wrong with waiting a year and seeing if you can get HYS. Honestly the 171 gives you a much better chance but I'm not convinced that chance is worth waiting a year. You could have been rejected for other factors and it would suck to lose a year and be in the same position.

Additionally, I think you have a good gig lined up with CCN 1/2 paid for. I see no reason why you shouldn't just run for it. Then again, I didn't take time off between UG and LS because I wanted to get my life moving. I'll admit there's something to be said about taking a year off to travel, work, and enjoy life.

bhan87
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: (URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Postby bhan87 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:51 am

Fussell wrote:I have until tomorrow afternoon to decide whether or not I will attend one of CCN. I applied in the 2012-13 cycle with a 169 and was accepted to the CCN school I most wanted to attend of the three. I was effectively rejected from HYS. This past June, I retook the LSAT and increased my score to a 171.

So, my numbers are 171, 3.98, non-URM.

I have currently submitted a seat deposit to my CCN school and must decide by tomorrow whether to attend that school or wait a year and reapply to CCNHYS. I currently have a half scholarship at the school I have seat deposited at. The question that I think will most determine the outcome of my decision is one I don't know. My parents make in the mid-6 figure range ($400,000 to $700,000), but won't be paying for much of my law school. Would HYS offer me any aid if I were accepted? If not, it seems to me that HYS is not worth $90,000 more than CCN. Do you agree?

I plan to work in a very lucrative particular field of law and my goal is to amass a great deal of money in the long run. My interest in Bigfed or academia is minimal, and I have no interest in PI.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts. I would also like to throw a shout-out to retaking, it is well worth it!
Also, if you wouldn't quote me, I would appreciate it.


Seems like a no-brainer. I really don't think the advantage in biglaw provided by HYS (if any) outweighs the half scholarship you have in the pocket.

legalmindedfella
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: (URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Postby legalmindedfella » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:56 am

Today I learned people with copious resources and a no-holds-barred interest in accruing maximum wealth rely on anonymous, unpaid advice to make major investment decisions.

Good to know. Pay someone to tell you, asap, they'll do a slightly better job and you'll have someone specific to yell at if it goes wrong.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: (URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Postby sinfiery » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:57 am

legalmindedfella wrote:Today I learned people with copious resources and a no-holds-barred interest in accruing maximum wealth rely on anonymous, unpaid advice to make major investment decisions.

Good to know. Pay someone to tell you, asap, they'll do a slightly better job and you'll have someone specific to yell at if it goes wrong.

This is the future, deal with it.


OP, your analysis is correct. Enjoy CCN. Your scholarship amount won't significantly change because of a 171 and full rides aren't possible with a 171. HLS is very probable but not worth the lost year, added cost, and still risk on top of not being accepted.


The one caveat being that the biglaw market you prefer is that of NYC or Chi. HYS carries further as you become geographicly picky.

Also, I'm not positive how HYS finaid works so if others can chime in on that


I agree as many others here that taking off time if you are a k-jd is usually a huge benefit so take that into consideration. (Not for admissions but personal life satisfaction)

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: (URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Postby jselson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:49 am

Enjoy CCN.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: (URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Postby Clearly » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:55 am

If you really just want biglaw, its a no-brainer to take a half ride to CCN.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: (URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Postby NYstate » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:21 am

Why would you even care about HYS? Prestige?
Just go to your favorite school at a decent price and be happy.

envisciguy
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Re: (URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Postby envisciguy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:15 am

Surprised nobody has pointed this out yet, but your COA figures are wrong. COA isn't just tuition, it's cost of living too.

That said, stick with the CCN school since it's still a lot cheaper and you don't have an interest in the fields that would make Harvard worth it.

User avatar
you'rethemannowdawg
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: (URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Postby you'rethemannowdawg » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:42 am

envisciguy wrote:Surprised nobody has pointed this out yet, but your COA figures are wrong. COA isn't just tuition, it's cost of living too.

That said, stick with the CCN school since it's still a lot cheaper and you don't have an interest in the fields that would make Harvard worth it.


I think OP is also including the money from his/her parents.

OP, this comes down to how long you're willing to wait to go to law school. I'm inclined to say you should take time off, just because I think that's a good move for everyone before committing to a career, but CCN at that price is an excellent deal. I would think you would be just as competitive for similar scholarship amounts next year.

For reference, here's your chances at HYS http://mylsn.info/i4tz19

RodneyRuxin
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: (URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Postby RodneyRuxin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:48 am

LOL at the third option on the poll.

idk why people do things like that... it just makes people who were going to seriously vote, vote for a joke option instead (like me)

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2204
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: (URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Postby jingosaur » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:50 am

legalmindedfella wrote:Today I learned people with copious resources and a no-holds-barred interest in accruing maximum wealth rely on anonymous, unpaid advice to make major investment decisions.

Good to know. Pay someone to tell you, asap, they'll do a slightly better job and you'll have someone specific to yell at if it goes wrong.


Yeah, ask somebody who's qualified to answer this like your Pre-Law Advisor.

Just kidding. With your goals, just go to CCN.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: (URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:59 am

If you have no interest in bigfed, academia, or public interest, then you don't really need HYS in your life. Considering the half scholarship and lack of parental contribution, I would say go CCN.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: (URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:15 am

Doorkeeper wrote:If you have no interest in bigfed, academia, or public interest, then you don't really need HYS in your life. Considering the half scholarship and lack of parental contribution, I would say go CCN.

this

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: (URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Postby thelawyler » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:35 pm

And if you're thinking that HYS might boost your partnership prospects, let's just say that if you can't leverage a CCN degree into a partnership, HYS was never going to help you much.

User avatar
thewaves
Posts: 384
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 7:26 pm

Re: (URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Postby thewaves » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:59 pm

The difference between Columbia/NYU and HYS for NYC Biglaw are not worth the extra year and tuition cost. For CA and DC markets, the difference is a bit greater but still not worth waiting and re-applying IMO.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: (URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:15 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:If you have no interest in bigfed, academia, or public interest, then you don't really need HYS in your life. Considering the half scholarship and lack of parental contribution, I would say go CCN.

this

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: (URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:03 am

thewaves wrote:The difference between Columbia/NYU and HYS for NYC Biglaw are not worth the extra year and tuition cost. For CA and DC markets, the difference is a bit greater but still not worth waiting and re-applying IMO.


There's no discernible difference between Columbia and Harvard placement in NYC biglaw anyway (even at top vault firms), and Stanford/Yale are a crapshoot in any cycle. That said, if one was committed to DC, esp government jobs, Harvard has a pretty big dominance and I could see it being preferable over CLS or Chicago at half scholly.

Another
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:16 pm

.

Postby Another » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:57 am

.
Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: (URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Postby 2014 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:09 pm

I agree with CCN, but you might want to wait a year for a better scholarship. The increase in your LSAT would I believe put you in play for pretty close to a full ride at UChi or NYU.

If the CCN is Columbia you probably won't do much better scholarship wise and i would run with it.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: (URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:22 pm

thewaves wrote:The difference between Columbia/NYU and HYS for NYC Biglaw are not worth the extra year and tuition cost. For CA and DC markets, the difference is a bit greater but still not worth waiting and re-applying IMO.

There is no difference between the HCN for NY biglaw. There is for the others, but if you have ties, the difference is not enough to overcome that scholarship

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: (URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:00 pm

2014 wrote:I agree with CCN, but you might want to wait a year for a better scholarship. The increase in your LSAT would I believe put you in play for pretty close to a full ride at UChi or NYU.

If the CCN is Columbia you probably won't do much better scholarship wise and i would run with it.

Unless OP has a chance for a named scholly, NYU isn't going to give much more than a half with a high risk of giving less than that. Especially so given his parents income.


UChi has been interesting in that they've been giving out a lot of $$ this cycle and would be the one of CCN worth it for $$ to reapply but they are moving away from the rubys and moving toward a need based aid award that has a lot less overall sponsoring from what I remember. This will likely move their full ride offers to who they've offered rubies and again, OP wouldn't be competitive for it.


Outside of the t6, full rides are very likely though.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests