Washington & Lee vs. UMN

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mojangles

Re: Washington & Lee vs. UMN

Postby mojangles » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:09 pm

ImNoScar wrote:This seems like a classic don't go to law school situation.

Somewhat related to OP and the above quote: what is UMN good for? This is an honest question - before I had done much research they were one of my top choices because they are a strong regional, they are close to home for me, they are t20, etc etc. But, the more I research about prospects out of law school, the more turned off I become towards UMN. It does not look like they are very portable (even in the midwest, it does not seem like they have much spread into IL, WI, or much of anywhere outside of MN really) and everything points to UMN does not get Minneapolis version of big law. So, where do UMN alum work? I have tried the search feature, but it just looks like UMN is one of the least attended schools among the TLS community, as opposed to something like WUSTL which I would have considered a peer school to UMN. Maybe I am wrong with what I said above, but its the general theme I have gathered from here and my attempted perusings of LST.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:15 pm

mojangles wrote:

Somewhat related to OP and the above quote: what is UMN good for? This is an honest question - before I had done much research they were one of my top choices because they are a strong regional, they are close to home for me, they are t20, etc etc. But, the more I research about prospects out of law school, the more turned off I become towards UMN. It does not look like they are very portable (even in the midwest, it does not seem like they have much spread into IL, WI, or much of anywhere outside of MN really) and everything points to UMN does not get Minneapolis version of big law. So, where do UMN alum work? I have tried the search feature, but it just looks like UMN is one of the least attended schools among the TLS community, as opposed to something like WUSTL which I would have considered a peer school to UMN. Maybe I am wrong with what I said above, but its the general theme I have gathered from here and my attempted perusings of LST.

This is a TLS classic thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=165679

See the photos on page 3.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:17 pm

I may be biased, but I really don't think WUSTL and UMN are peer schools. I turned down more money at UMN for WUSTL. Just look at LST. As someone from Wisconsin, I don't think UMN even carries across the border that well. UMN's firm numbers are hilariously bad for a 'T20'.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:32 pm

Umn is a good state school that gives grads a 2/3 chance of practicing law. All three local schools are less than 50% and one is 1/3.
Last edited by Nova on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:37 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
mojangles wrote:

Rofl. That was classic. I feel like it needs one of those "where are they now" type of followups.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:59 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
mojangles wrote:

Thanks for that. :lol: And not because I have anything against UMN at all. That was just some grade-AAA ranting there.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:07 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
mojangles wrote:

Trolololol those were some of the longest posts Ive ever read.

I kinda liked the guy, even if he's totally ridiculous (and I kind of like UMN)

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:12 pm

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:53 am

you'rethemannowdawg

Postby you'rethemannowdawg » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:23 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
mojangles wrote:

That was hugely entertaining. It's too bad that guy stopped posting.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”