FYI for anybody thinking about enrolling at Hamline

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
guano

Re: FYI for anybody thinking about enrolling at Hamline

Postby guano » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:49 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
rwhyAn wrote:With these numbers, I kind of wonder what the enrollment will be at Indiana Tech or if they'll even have a class at all.

If a law school opens and nobody is there to enroll in it, did it really open?

This should be a finalentrance exam question at Indy Tech.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:34 am

jkay wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Would that make Hamline the smallest school? I know Hawaii's entering class was like 86 or something last year.

No. Look at MT/ID/WY/Dakotas. Tiny. But also not retarded saturation levels in their respective markets, either. Also, they are dirt cheap for instate students.

I don't have a problem at all with those schools. That's exactly what a crappy school should be. One per small state, at under $15k, whose graduates primarily go home and do the "Main Street" lawyering. The school doesn't pretend to be anything else. No dreams of Biglaw, but no life-ruining debt either.

In studying this, I came across an amazing statistic: La Verne Law's entering class was 44 students last year. That is not a typo. Medians of 2.78/151, tuition over $40k, 43% working BPR jobs. How is this school not on the top of everyone's watch list for a closing? Why does Southern California have twelve law schools?

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:42 am

But studies show law school's a good investment you guys

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:56 am

jkay wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Would that make Hamline the smallest school? I know Hawaii's entering class was like 86 or something last year.

No. Look at MT/ID/WY/Dakotas. Tiny. But also not retarded saturation levels in their respective markets, either. Also, they are dirt cheap for instate students.

I don't have a problem at all with those schools. That's exactly what a crappy school should be. One per small state, at under $15k, whose graduates primarily go home and do the "Main Street" lawyering. The school doesn't pretend to be anything else. No dreams of Biglaw, but no life-ruining debt either.

In studying this, I came across an amazing statistic: La Verne Law's entering class was 44 students last year. That is not a typo. Medians of 2.78/151, tuition over $40k, 43% working BPR jobs. How is this school not on the top of everyone's watch list for a closing? Why does Southern California have twelve law schools?

Elitist! Everyone has the RIGHT to attend law school, even at 40k a year.

rwhyAn

Postby rwhyAn » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:57 am

nothingtosee wrote:But studies show law school's a good investment you guys

Phase 1: Attend law school
Phase 2: ???
Phase 3: Profit!

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:58 am

californiauser wrote:
jkay wrote:

Elitist! Everyone has the RIGHT to attend law school, even at 40k a year.

Don't forget that if people don't attend law school at 40K a year, professors won't be able to produce scholarship because they'll take those $1 million partnerships doing law and economics law, and we will lose our most valuable national asset!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:06 pm

What we really need to teach TTT students is the concept of opportunity cost. "Over your career our law degree makes $100k in profit on your investment!" Yeah, but you can turn $200k into way more than $300k just by throwing darts at the NASDAQ for 40 years.

haus

Postby haus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:08 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:What we really need to teach TTT students is the concept of opportunity cost. "Over your career our law degree makes $100k in profit on your investment!" Yeah, but you can turn $200k into way more than $300k just by throwing darts at the NASDAQ for 40 years.

Your point about opportunity cost are valid.

One possible way of mitigating some of the opportunity cost (at least for the non-traditional set) is to consider keeping your job and pursing your degree part-time. Hamline is one of the school that offers a part-time program, and it is one of the few in the nation that offers a worker friendly alternative to night school by hosting the part-time classes on the weekend.

While this change is unlikely better for every non-trad part-time student, it is likely a benefit for some of them. I suspect that at least one of the eight part-time programs in the DC/Baltimore area would be well served by considering an alternative schedule such as the one at Hamline.

Another

Postby Another » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:39 pm

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Another

Postby Another » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:49 pm

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rwhyAn

Postby rwhyAn » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:27 pm

hopkins23 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
Don't forget that if people don't attend law school at 40K a year, professors won't be able to produce scholarship because they'll take those $1 million partnerships doing law and economics law, and we will lose our most valuable national asset!

Isn't that where all those laid off professors from Hamline are gonna go? Future Skadden partners right?

But wouldn't that mean that they need to work more than 10-12 hour weeks? Can law professors handle that?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”