delete

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rlrsb03

delete

Postby rlrsb03 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:26 pm

delete
Last edited by rlrsb03 on Tue May 10, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

t-14orbust

Re: Joint Degree plus Study Abroad?

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:30 pm

Those dual degrees are worthless IMO. Don't go to law school bro

edit: Unless you want to actually practice law (Or have a good enough app to get HYS and go for academia). It sounds like you don't even know what you want to do. If that's the case, law is not for you, not yet at least.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:40 pm

Sounds like you might rather a Master's in Urban Planning or an MPP. Don't go to law school unless you actually want to practice law.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:40 pm

study abroad is a scam

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:53 pm

dr123 wrote:study abroad is a scam

Yeah. I'd rather (and did) just spend all that money living in another country for a few months. Wtf. Why would you want to study when you're abroad?!

rlrsb03

delete

Postby rlrsb03 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:58 pm

delete
Last edited by rlrsb03 on Tue May 10, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

politics89

Postby politics89 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:04 am

rlrsb03 wrote:As much as I appreciate all your responses, and I really do, could anyone out there elaborate on why a joint degree and/or study abroad are bad ideas? Or does anyone had anything positive to say about going this route?

I actually have given law school a lot of thought, decided against it directly after undergrad because I would never put in the time and money without being 100% sure its what I want to do. As much as I am interested in development, etc., I feel like practicing law is right for me. But, if I could specialize or incorporate my other interests, I would like to do so. The study abroad is not as important to me as the specialization, but maybe they are both bad ideas...

Like I said before, I am just beginning my search and looking for any input from those with more knowledge and experience.

I'm in the same boat as you kinda. I want to do a joint MPP and everyone says thats silly, but I feel a JD from the right school is going to open up way more opportunities even if I only want a "JD preferred" job. That being said, I think it's only worth considering if I get great financial aid and/or go to a school with lots of loan forgiveness. From all the research I've done so far (and take that for what you will from a 0L), you should only do joint if you know you really want to go into that field because if you then decide to do Biglaw or such, they might look down on the MPP (or other M) by thinking youre going to jump ship when you get a job you really want.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:16 am

what exactly do you want to do after lawl school?

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:13 am

dr123 wrote:what exactly do you want to do after lawl school?

What he said.

I did a very similar joint degree. I would recommend it for very few people.

Joint degrees also really eliminate much of your ability to have any flexibility. You are cramming what is normally 5 years of school into 3.5 or 4. Just go work abroad for a while before law school/grad school.

rlrsb03

delete

Postby rlrsb03 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:42 pm

delete
Last edited by rlrsb03 on Tue May 10, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RoaringMice

Postby RoaringMice » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:51 am

rlrsb03 wrote:Thanks for the advice- definitely has made me less excited about the all of the joint degree options I keep seeing, which is probably a good thing.

I actually have lived and worked abroad before and am planning to spend the year before law school volunteering or working abroad as well. Maybe that will fulfill my study abroad dreams... probably not.

You could just apply directly to a foreign masters program to get your "study abroad" fix. Most foreign masters programs are one year long. During that time, do volunteer work, if that's part of your desires. Then return to go to a US JD program. This won't extend your time-to-JD by much, if anything, versus your current plan. And many foreign masters degrees are quite a bit cheaper than US-based masters degrees, even considering the fact that you're paying the international student rate on tuition. I've seen European masters degrees be less than half the cost of US masters degrees in the same subject, even considering the international fee rate you'd be paying in Europe. And if you're fluent in certain foreign languages (Czech, Icelandic for example), you can study in those countries free of tuition, no matter what country you are from. You still pay fees for living, though, of course.

guano

Postby guano » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:21 am

RoaringMice wrote:
rlrsb03 wrote:Thanks for the advice- definitely has made me less excited about the all of the joint degree options I keep seeing, which is probably a good thing.

I actually have lived and worked abroad before and am planning to spend the year before law school volunteering or working abroad as well. Maybe that will fulfill my study abroad dreams... probably not.

You could just apply directly to a foreign masters program to get your "study abroad" fix. Most foreign masters programs are one year long. During that time, do volunteer work, if that's part of your desires. Then return to go to a US JD program. This won't extend your time-to-JD by much, if anything, versus your current plan. And many foreign masters degrees are quite a bit cheaper than US-based masters degrees, even considering the fact that you're paying the international student rate on tuition. I've seen European masters degrees be less than half the cost of US masters degrees in the same subject, even considering the international fee rate you'd be paying in Europe. And if you're fluent in certain foreign languages (Czech, Icelandic for example), you can study in those countries free of tuition, no matter what country you are from. You still pay fees for living, though, of course.

Alternatively, have a stellar first year, rock OCI, do well at your SA, have a job offer secured and spend a 3LOL semester abroad

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:26 pm

If you want to study abroad, then study abroad. Just put law school on hold. It'll be there for you when you get back. As young people, our first goal is to enjoy the prime years of our lives. We have the rest of our lives to be boring.

rlrsb03

delete

Postby rlrsb03 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:54 pm

delete

Return to “Choosing a Law School”