South Florida School options (UM/Nova/FIU)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PrettyPistol

South Florida School options (UM/Nova/FIU)

Postby PrettyPistol » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:40 pm

-The schools you are considering : UM, Nova Southeastern, FIU
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each: Depends on sticker vs possible scholarship. (I’m aware this is a stretch given my mediocre gpa) However going to UM/FIU would require additional expenses, ie: Needing to purchase a car vs lease due to mileage limit (12k yearly) & putting my children into full time day care vs part-time daycare due to commute and scheduling.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings : Loans
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any) : Coral Springs, FL. I plan to stay in Ft Lauderdale & West Palm area
-Your general career goals: Prosecution (I have no big law ambition. This is what I truly desire for myself as a career.)
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers : LSAT: Scheduled for October, (Ball-parking 167-171 if PT is any indication) GPA 3.2 Overall, 3.71 Major (Major: Criminology)
-How many times you have taken the LSAT; None (Scheduled in October)

Other mitigating factors: (hence why I’m stuck in South Florida)

Married with 2 children (2 month old and a 3 year old).
We own our home (with mortgage) in Coral Springs & my husband has a very good job here

What is the best choice for me? I doubt I will get any scholarship money if I score 167 or less (which is the low end of my current PT average)

nebula666

Re: South Florida School options (UM/Nova/FIU)

Postby nebula666 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:48 pm

I say Miami for free/almost free or none. Not worth going to Nova or FIU really under any circumstances.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:09 pm

nebula666 wrote:I say Miami for free/almost free or none. Not worth going to Nova or FIU really under any circumstances.

Ehh - i disagree. If you have a legal job lined up, then by all means take Nova or FIU (FIU since its cheaper). What about UF or FSU? Are you against leaving your husband 9 months out of the year, or could he travel with his job up there for you?

ETA: just read your mitigating factors.

Bless

Postby Bless » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:13 pm

You should get scholarship money at all the schools you mentioned if you score the way you are PT'ing, and full rides particularly at Nova & FIU.

UM is a long drive from Coral Springs; if the drive to Miami eliminates UM & FIU as options, shoot for a full ride from Nova.

Your numbers are really better than all these schools, but your situation is unique to most. Good luck.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:36 pm

Without looking at lsn, I seriously doubt you even need 160+ for scholarships to fiu or nova.

You should look into lawschoolnumbers.com to see.

The thing about ttt(s) is that scholarships are usually conditional and require you to be on the top x% of the class.

You would probably have one of the highest if not highest lsat score at either fiu or nova.... so even though conventional wisdom says don't count on doing better than about median.... odds are you will have a better chane than most to do well. But if you end up at median and paying sticker, you would be tragically overpaying.

Please look up these schools employment prospects on lawschooltransparency.com if you haven't. Odds of practicing law out of all the schools you listed are very poor.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:21 pm

Oh dear God please don't go to FIU or Nova. You want to do prosecution? You probably have a better chance of winning the lottery than becoming a prosecutor out of Nova/FIU. If you absolutely MUST go to school in SFL, kill the LSAT and get an unconditional full-ride to UM. At least then you stand a chance of living your dream.

Bless

Postby Bless » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:29 pm

Cicero76 wrote: You probably have a better chance of winning the lottery than becoming a prosecutor out of Nova/FIU.

My friend graduated from Nova last year and got a job working as a prosecutor in West Palm Beach.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:34 pm

Bless wrote:
Cicero76 wrote: You probably have a better chance of winning the lottery than becoming a prosecutor out of Nova/FIU.

My friend graduated from Nova last year and got a job working as a prosecutor in West Palm Beach.

My great uncle won $78,000 in the lottery. What's your point?

Bless

Postby Bless » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:35 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
Bless wrote:

My point was my friend graduated from Nova last year and got a job working as a prosecutor in West Palm Beach.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:38 pm

Bless wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
Bless wrote:

My point was my friend graduated from Nova last year and got a job working as a prosecutor in West Palm Beach.

That doesn't make it a good plan. OP has his heart set on becoming a prosecutor and isn't interested in any other law. If he wanted to become a PD or something, then maybe FIU/Nova would be a fair gamble. If he wants to become a prosecutor with any semblance of interesting work/ a living wage, those schools are statistically terrible choices and he should shoot for Miami, which is a statistically not-good choice (and thus infinitely better).

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:42 pm

Bless wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
Bless wrote:

You know exactly what you're doing. Stop trolling for FL schools with personal anecdotes; they are utterly meaningless.

It's no different than saying "I know someone who went to Harvard and is now unemployed." The implication is that anybody who goes to Harvard can become unemployed. Technically true, but also a meaningless anecdote that isn't representative of the likelihood of that outcome.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:45 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
You know exactly what you're doing. Stop trolling for FL schools with personal anecdotes; they are utterly meaningless.

It's no different than saying "I know someone who went to Harvard and is now unemployed." The implication is that anybody who goes to Harvard can become unemployed. Technically true, but also a meaningless anecdote that isn't representative of the likelihood of that outcome.

Thanks Rick. I was about to let him troll me into flaming.

Bless

Postby Bless » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:57 pm

OK, lol wait a second...Cicero76 tells OP that she has a better chance of winning the lottery than becoming a prosecutor out of Nova, and I provide specific evidence that a person who graduated Nova LAST YEAR is now working as a prosecutor. That makes me a troll? In what way does that make me a troll? Because I'm not reiterating the typical TLS rhetoric?

I'm stating a fact that is completely relevant after someone told OP she has a better chance of winning the lottery than becoming a prosecutor out of Nova.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:58 pm

She :wink:

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:59 pm

OP go take the LSAT

PrettyPistol

Postby PrettyPistol » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:44 am

[/quote]

It's no different than saying "I know someone who went to Harvard and is now unemployed." The implication is that anybody who goes to Harvard can become unemployed. Technically true, but also a meaningless anecdote that isn't representative of the likelihood of that outcome.[/quote]

Is there a way for me to find a representative sample? E.G; Can I just do some research and compare my own stats based on the prosecutor's in my area? Perhaps this would be a good starting point?

Typhoon24

Postby Typhoon24 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:49 am

im pretty sure if you get a 167, you will definitely get money/a lot of money at these schools.

TCR is take the lsat and go to a better school, but if you feel it necessary to pick one of these, Miami is the only semi-close-to-decent choice.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:53 pm

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:00 pm

The only one of these schools I would consider would be Miami and that's if I were stuck in south Florida and it were for freesies. Anything else I would just stick to my day job.

Now, I declare this thread is done until the OP has an actual LSAT score

Eta: I'm joking of course but I don't know how useful these hypos are. I was planning on a 175+ for two tests in a row and wondered if I would get into Harvard or Stanford or if I would just have to settle on CCN but obviously that never materialized

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:50 am

BigZuck wrote:The only one of these schools I would consider would be Miami and that's if I were stuck in south Florida and it were for freesies. Anything else I would just stick to my day job.

Now, I declare this thread is done until the OP has an actual LSAT score

Eta: I'm joking of course but I don't know how useful these hypos are. I was planning on a 175+ for two tests in a row and wondered if I would get into Harvard or Stanford or if I would just have to settle on CCN but obviously that never materialized

:(

Retake

Jk :)

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:26 pm

max scholly that nova gives is 66.66%

go to UM

Throttle

Postby Throttle » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:46 pm

So OP has no Lsat score and these are the schools he/she wants to go to? Wow, way to am low. With the Florida legal market being relatively small, you want to at least go to Florida, FSU, Emory, or T14 . Miami has shit job prospects, and those other schools you mentioned are toilets.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:06 pm

Throttle wrote:So OP has no Lsat score and these are the schools he/she wants to go to? Wow, way to am low. With the Florida legal market being relatively small, you want to at least go to Florida, FSU, Emory, or T14 . Miami has shit job prospects, and those other schools you mentioned are toilets.

Your disgustingly egregious anti-Vandy trolling makes me want to puke

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:28 pm

Throttle wrote:So OP has no Lsat score and these are the schools he/she wants to go to? Wow, way to am low. With the Florida legal market being relatively small, you want to at least go to Florida, FSU, Emory, or T14 . Miami has shit job prospects, and those other schools you mentioned are toilets.

At least read the thread.

Throttle

Postby Throttle » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:35 pm

nebula666 wrote:

At least read the thread.

I did. Read BTW the lines, don't go unless she wants shit job prospects. Being a prosecutor in south Florida is a glorious gig, slim chance op will get it by going to toilet schools. You don't need to graduate from a south Florida school to be a prosecutor in south Fl. Also if op goes to a toilet and get below top 10% she/he is screwed.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”