Duke $$ v Michigan $$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Duke $$ v Michigan $$

Duke
58%
Michigan
43%

Total votes: 40

drisk5

New

Duke $$ v Michigan $$

Post by drisk5 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:39 am

Duke COA: 191,507
Michigan COA: 179,404
(COA figures represent all 3 years of law school and include interest to repayment. The total payment figure over 10 years will be significantly higher)

I was recently admitted to Michigan from the wait list, and I have no idea what to do here. I will be financing law school entirely with debt. I'm from Alabama, and generally have strong ties to the South, but I'm not committed to working there after law school. While not opposed to big law, it's not something I'm particularly excited about pursuing. I have a public interest background prior to applying to law school, but I'm not sure if that's where I will eventually end up career wise. I have to say Michigan winters are a little scary for me, but generally the schools seem to be fairly equivalent. Any input from the TLS community would be greatly appreciated.

Ti Malice

Gold

Re: Duke $$ v Michigan $$

Post by Ti Malice » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:56 am

Ignore the USNWR rankings. Duke wipes the floor with Michigan in employment placement in recent years. I would pay that small extra amount for Duke over Michigan without thinking twice. And I say that even though I think I would probably enjoy being at Michigan more than at Duke.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:22 am

drisk5 wrote:Duke COA: 191,507
Michigan COA: 179,404
(COA figures represent all 3 years of law school and include interest to repayment. The total payment figure over 10 years will be significantly higher)

I was recently admitted to Michigan from the wait list, and I have no idea what to do here. I will be financing law school entirely with debt. I'm from Alabama, and generally have strong ties to the South, but I'm not committed to working there after law school. While not opposed to big law, it's not something I'm particularly excited about pursuing. I have a public interest background prior to applying to law school, but I'm not sure if that's where I will eventually end up career wise. I have to say Michigan winters are a little scary for me, but generally the schools seem to be fairly equivalent. Any input from the TLS community would be greatly appreciated.
If you want PI and want to stay in ALabama, I'd take a full ride to Bama. I don't see the point of taking out $200k for Duke if you don't want biglaw. Definitely not Michigan in your scenario.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:40 am

They are peer schools, pick your poison. Duke has better placement than Mich overall but Mich is better for P.I. Keep in mind, however, that gunning for P.I. is pretty risky with $200k on the line, and you need to be 100% committed to that route from day 1 if you want a shot.

Edit:
nebula666 wrote: If you want PI and want to stay in ALabama, I'd take a full ride to Bama. I don't see the point of taking out $200k for Duke if you don't want biglaw. Definitely not Michigan in your scenario.
I would disagree with that advice. 'Bama placed all of 5% into P.I. last year. That said, 'Bama with a full ride is a good option if you want to stay in AL and are ok with small law or really don't want Biglaw.

drisk5

New

Post by drisk5 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:29 am

I'm somewhat surprised by the poll results here. It seems like Duke usually beats Michigan out on this forum. If anyone who voted could elaborate on their reasoning I would appreciate it. Anyway, as mentioned above I feel like starting off100% committed to public interest is too much of agamble. I guess I'd just like to keep as many employment options open as I can. Bama is not really a possibility for me at this point, and I'd like to have more geographic flexibility than they would be able to offer.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:38 am

People are saying Michigan because they offer more PI support there, and they have a better LRAP (objectively). Duke has stronger pull with large firms, thats why its generally TCR on most threads.

On your situation, given your southern ties but your PI preference, its a tossup. Which school do you like better? Either is justifiable to me. I bet Duke will grant you more $ if you inform them of the new Michigan offer and lower CoA. Dean Hoye is determined not to lose students to peer schools based on money this year

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”