This year or Next? Taking a year off..

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mr.hands

Re: This year or Next? Taking a year off..

Postby mr.hands » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:53 pm

dempsey6 wrote:
mr.hands wrote:
dempsey6 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:Take the year, get some WE, apply early next year. You won't do worse than you'll do now and might have significantly better options.

Thanks. Been getting some full-time experience in an unrelated field (sales), but if I take this year off I intend to find a legal field job very soon simply to bolster my application.

What type of URM? (Aside from just Hispanic?) only Mexican and PR receive a noticeable boost.

Sorry if this was answered somewhere above. I looked and couldn't find it

Colombian father and Cuban mother.

Ah that's probably why you haven't seen much scholarship money. It'll make for a good diversity essay though

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:18 am

OP, after receiving your new LSAT, did you ever ask any or all of the T-14 schools to reconsider you for this upcoming academic year? Did you write LOCI or call the admissions offices? Did they waitlist you after your new LSAT came out or before when you had your 150's score?

hamsamitchguy03

Postby hamsamitchguy03 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:31 pm

edited for brevity
Last edited by hamsamitchguy03 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

dempsey6

Postby dempsey6 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:39 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:OP, after receiving your new LSAT, did you ever ask any or all of the T-14 schools to reconsider you for this upcoming academic year? Did you write LOCI or call the admissions offices? Did they waitlist you after your new LSAT came out or before when you had your 150's score?

They wait listed me after my new LSAT. NYU and maybe two more did reject me before my March score came in but most just waitlisted me after.

dempsey6

Postby dempsey6 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:44 pm

Got an update:

Upon asking Georgetown for some aid they just granted me 30k a year/ 90 overall. This changes things a lot. While I would like a little more, I know someone of my credentials will probably not get it.

So I have to make a decision now. Georgetown with 90 or sit a year out and hope for more money elsewhere in the T-14/ acceptance at better school with more than likely less money (UVA, Northwestern).

Thoughts?

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:54 pm

dempsey6 wrote:Got an update:

Upon asking Georgetown for some aid they just granted me 30k a year/ 90 overall. This changes things a lot. While I would like a little more, I know someone of my credentials will probably not get it.

So I have to make a decision now. Georgetown with 90 or sit a year out and hope for more money elsewhere in the T-14/ acceptance at better school with more than likely less money (UVA, Northwestern).

Thoughts?

How much debt will you have? I can't calculate it.

I think you can do better next year.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:10 pm

Its is hard to calculate how much of a bump your URM status is going to be. But 90k is really good and I doubt you would do better next year. I personally would take that and then hustle to try to do well.

You probably have a good shot at a better school next year, but I'd still take the money, that is a lot of money and GT is still a well-respected school. Top GT kids definitely kill it, you just dont want to be below median

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:19 pm

Law Sauce wrote:Its is hard to calculate how much of a bump your URM status is going to be. But 90k is really good and I doubt you would do better next year. I personally would take that and then hustle to try to do well.

You probably have a good shot at a better school next year, but I'd still take the money, that is a lot of money and GT is still a well-respected school. Top GT kids definitely kill it, you just dont want to be below median

Why don't you think she will do better next year? I don't see how she would do worse than she has now.

dempsey6

Postby dempsey6 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:25 pm

I haven't really done a ton of research on debt, but I think around 220 - 90 = 130

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Per GULC's own calculator you're looking at $171K of debt at repayment six months after graduation. I agree with everyone who says you'll have better options this coming cycle.

BTW FWIW I think the TLS conventional wisdom that the only Latinos who count for URM purposes are Mexican-Americans and Puerto Ricans is exaggerated. From what I've seen other Latinos usually get a bump, although not as big a one.

Anyway your numbers are too good for $170K in debt from GULC.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”