USC (60k) vs GWU (81k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
epgenius

USC (60k) vs GWU (81k)

Postby epgenius » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:28 pm

I just got accepted at USC with $60k and am debating whether it's worth the money. I live in LA and will probably be spending, at least, my first year living at home -- though I would prefer to live closer to campus for my 2L and 3L years, (I'm about a 20 minute drive). In addition, over the years, I will be saving a little bit just by being close to my family, including dinners, entertainment, etc. Before taking into account the incidentals I'll be saving just by being close, I'm looking at a total cost (over all 3 years) of $151,830 at GWU and $166,565 at USC. I'd like to, eventually, either be in SoCal or D.C. and am interested in programs at both schools. Is USC worth the extra $15k (minus whatever else I save)?

Thanks!

The Brainalist

Re: USC (60k) vs GWU (81k)

Postby The Brainalist » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:35 pm

Yes. But, I would live with the family until at least you land employment as a summer associate. That way, you could conceivably keep your debt limited to tuition/fees and books.

At any rate, there certainly isn't any reason to go to GW in your position.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:36 pm

20 minute drive is nothing, you know that. Go to USC. DC is hard to crack.

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:37 pm

The Brainalist wrote:Yes. But, I would live with the family until at least you land employment as a summer associate. That way, you could conceivably keep your debt limited to tuition/fees and books.

Do you think it's easier to place in SoCal from GWU or place in D.C. from USC?

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:38 pm

francesfarmer wrote:20 minute drive is nothing, you know that. Go to USC. DC is hard to crack.

I know 20 mins is not bad but, in LA, that could turn into an hour and a half very quickly. Also, call it selfish, but I'd like to have a certain amount of independence from my family eventually -- it's been hard living at home since I came back from undergrad (a year and change ago)...

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:42 pm

epgenius wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:Yes. But, I would live with the family until at least you land employment as a summer associate. That way, you could conceivably keep your debt limited to tuition/fees and books.

Do you think it's easier to place in SoCal from GWU or place in D.C. from USC?

That's a dumb question. Not because the answer is obvious, but because you are doing it wrong. Your primary objective should be to get a job. As a So Cal native, your best shot at a job is in the LA market with the USC degree. Once you have job experience, then you can consider where you want to work, whether it is best to stay in So Cal or move to another city for a career opportunity.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:44 pm

epgenius wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:20 minute drive is nothing, you know that. Go to USC. DC is hard to crack.

I know 20 mins is not bad but, in LA, that could turn into an hour and a half very quickly. Also, call it selfish, but I'd like to have a certain amount of independence from my family eventually -- it's been hard living at home since I came back from undergrad (a year and change ago)...

I am very familiar with LA traffic, so I assumed you factored that in. 20 minutes without traffic would be rough during rush hour, for sure.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:44 pm

I wouldn't be comfortable with paying that much for either school, but USC has significantly better placement than GW. You're much more likely to get desirable work in SoCal from USC than you are in D.C. from GW. And forget about GW meaning much of anything in SoCal.

USC is the obvious choice between these two. The better choice is almost certainly to retake.

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:51 pm

epgenius wrote:

Financing rent through student loans is a fool's game. If you want to have the independence, then you should do that once you have independent things like a job that pays the rent. Financing rent and food through loans is not the same thing as independence - you are just suckling a different teet, one that charges interest. Otherwise, you are student and should resign yourself to living as cheaply as possible, and living with relatives when you can.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:05 pm

USC

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:10 pm

The Brainalist wrote:
epgenius wrote:

Financing rent through student loans is a fool's game. If you want to have the independence, then you should do that once you have independent things like a job that pays the rent. Financing rent and food through loans is not the same thing as independence - you are just suckling a different teet, one that charges interest. Otherwise, you are student and should resign yourself to living as cheaply as possible, and living with relatives when you can.

This. If you are mature enough to be out on your own, you should be mature enough to defer "independence" for a few years until you are not mortgaging your future to do it.

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:35 am

epgenius wrote:I just got accepted at USC with $60k and am debating whether it's worth the money. I live in LA and will probably be spending, at least, my first year living at home -- though I would prefer to live closer to campus for my 2L and 3L years, (I'm about a 20 minute drive). In addition, over the years, I will be saving a little bit just by being close to my family, including dinners, entertainment, etc. Before taking into account the incidentals I'll be saving just by being close, I'm looking at a total cost (over all 3 years) of $151,830 at GWU and $166,565 at USC. I'd like to, eventually, either be in SoCal or D.C. and am interested in programs at both schools. Is USC worth the extra $15k (minus whatever else I save)?

Thanks!

Congrats again!

I vote for USC! GW's class size is too big for my taste.

dempsey6

Postby dempsey6 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:01 am

If you want to practice in Southern Cal, I would absolutely stick to USC.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:53 am

Neither, retake

USC gives out 120K like its nothing, all you need are a few more points on some dumb test. 60K more in scholarship plus living at home to save money is a great situation to be in.

If I am reading this wrong and you are a splitter then I guess USC but you have got to live at home. Both schools are too expensive at those prices.

Also please follow directions and post your numbers so people can give you the best advice possible

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:54 pm

BigZuck wrote:Neither, retake

Also please follow directions and post your numbers so people can give you the best advice possible

Snowboarder1588

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:48 pm

USC....Not sure if you have ever lived on the East coast, but it simply blows...Or at least it does if you've previously lived in Southern CA. People underestimate the climate, roads, lifestyle factors too much. I moved here last year and I can't wait to move back. You can reduce your COA by staying at home. Suck up the commute and save yourself thousands on the rent you would spend during your 2L and 3L years. Good Luck.

epgenius

Postby epgenius » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:41 pm

BigZuck wrote:Neither, retake

USC gives out 120K like its nothing, all you need are a few more points on some dumb test. 60K more in scholarship plus living at home to save money is a great situation to be in.

If I am reading this wrong and you are a splitter then I guess USC but you have got to live at home. Both schools are too expensive at those prices.

Sorry... 166/3.64

Return to “Choosing a Law School”