NYU (sticker) vs GULC (40k/yr scholarship)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which of the following is the best option?

NYU (sticker)
57%
GULC (40k/yr scholarship)
43%

Total votes: 60

moshei24

NYU (sticker) vs GULC (40k/yr scholarship)

Postby moshei24 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:20 pm

This will be my last thread, as I need to choose a school by Friday.

I currently have two choices: NYU at sticker or GULC with a 40k/yr scholarship.

Living in NYC will be covered by my parents. At least $5,000 of my tuition will be paid by my grandparents, and my parents will pay up to $3,500, depending on their situation. If I go to GULC, my rent will cost about $8,000 more per year, plus I will likely need to pay more rent when I live in NYC for the Summer (I'm assuming I won't be able to sublet my apt in DC). These rent costs are accurate, so please don't question them based on what you've heard about NYC.

I'm leaning toward NYU because it opens up more doors for me, my girlfriend lives here, my family is here, my life is here, etc. DC's only winning when it comes to the scholarship money, which will save me about $90,000 over three years given my calculations.

My overall cost of NYU would be about $125,000.
My overall cost of GULC woluld be about $35,000.

Those amounts are my estimates and don't include interest.

However, in NYU, I would have a solid shot at getting a summer associate job, which would pay me at least $25,000 after taxes, and would actually be more than that once I get some of the taxes back. That would bring my NYU costs down to about $100,000.

There is a possibility that my grandparents led me some interest-free money, but that is no guarantee, and I am not factoring it into my decision.

For my career, I want to make a lot of money. How I do that isn't set in stone. I don't know if I'll do BigLaw or if I'll do something else. If possible, I wouldn't mind ADA'ing for a few years and then moving on to criminal defense, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

If there is any information you need, please ask me, and I will answer.

Thank you all for your help. This will be my last post, and hopefully I will be able to make a confident decision after hearing what you all have to say.

Re: NYU (sticker) vs GULC (40k/yr scholarship)

Postby 052220151 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:27 pm

You just made this exact thread d00d. Go to NYU, cause I have no shot of getting in there.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:42 pm

deputydog wrote:You just made this exact thread d00d. Go to NYU, cause I have no shot of getting in there.

This happens to be a very different thread. It describes my entire situation in much more detail and is a smaller scholarship at GULC.

Thanks, though.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:06 pm

If your figures are accurate, I'd honestly choose GULC here b/c I straight up don't think NYU is worth sticker and $35k for a T14 (yes, even GULC) is a damn good deal, especially if you aren't sure about wanting Biglaw.

That said, I'm wondering how you got those COA figures. They both seem way too low, especially GULC's. I'm also pretty skeptical that D.C. rent will cost more than Manhattan's.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:10 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:If your figures are accurate, I'd honestly choose GULC here b/c I straight up don't think NYU is worth sticker and $35k for a T14 (yes, even GULC) is a damn good deal, especially if you aren't sure about wanting Biglaw.

That said, I'm wondering how you got those COA figures. They both seem way too low, especially GULC's. I'm also pretty skeptical that D.C. rent will cost more than Manhattan's.

Yeah the COA is low. Be sure to account for compounding interet and 4% annual tuition increases. That always adds a ton

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:12 pm

I don't attend either of these schools so whichever you choose is alright with me.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:14 pm

mr.hands wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:If your figures are accurate, I'd honestly choose GULC here b/c I straight up don't think NYU is worth sticker and $35k for a T14 (yes, even GULC) is a damn good deal, especially if you aren't sure about wanting Biglaw.

Yeah the COA is low. Be sure to account for compounding interet and 4% annual tuition increases. That always adds a ton

I meant to say that I was not taking interest into account with those numbers. And the price of rent is accurate. I've lived in NYC for about four years.

Add about the same amount to each for tuition increases, so about $5,000 more.

Also, I'm not on BigLaw, but I am set on a high paying job. Am I incorrect that finding a big time paying job also needs the same kind of school that BigLaw does?

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:21 pm

WheninLaw wrote:I don't attend either of these schools so whichever you choose is alright with me.

this x 10000000

Extending my sympathies to OPs future classmates

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:24 pm

If OP goes to NYU, he's very close to where I'll be living, which scares me, but if he goes to GULC, then he'll be very close to my family, which also scares me.

I can vouch for the latkes in DC, though.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:33 pm

moshei24 wrote:
mr.hands wrote:

I meant to say that I was not taking interest into account with those numbers. And the price of rent is accurate. I've lived in NYC for about four years.

Add about the same amount to each for tuition increases, so about $5,000 more.

Also, I'm not on BigLaw, but I am set on a high paying job. Am I incorrect that finding a big time paying job also needs the same kind of school that BigLaw does?

what magical non-biglaw high-paying job is there?

bruin91

Postby bruin91 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:46 pm

Your COA calculations are too low, man. Even given your COL numbers (which are also low).

But honestly, I think you want NYU really badly, and would be a lot happier there than GULC.

You not wanting biglaw scares me a bit to urge you to go into 6 figure debt, but if you want to work in NY, have a life there already, and don't want to work in DC, just take NYU. NYU at about 150k is a sweet deal. YOLO.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:55 pm

Your OP makes it ridiculously obvious you want us to tell you NYU. See you in the fall.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:56 pm

bruin91 wrote:Your COA calculations are too low, man. Even given your COL numbers (which are also low).

But honestly, I think you want NYU really badly, and would be a lot happier there than GULC.

You not wanting biglaw scares me a bit to urge you to go into 6 figure debt, but if you want to work in NY, have a life there already, and don't want to work in DC, just take NYU. NYU at about 150k is a sweet deal. YOLO.

Oh, it's not that I don't want BigLaw; it's that everyone keeps scaring me off of it to the point that I think it's a terrible idea. Ugh.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:57 pm

sinfiery wrote:Your OP makes it ridiculously obvious you want us to tell you NYU. See you in the fall.

Wanna be Facebook friends? It's always nice to start school with a friend. :)

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:05 pm

moshei24 wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Your OP makes it ridiculously obvious you want us to tell you NYU. See you in the fall.

This is weird.

GULC at that scholarship would be my usual choice, but since your family is bankrolling you and you clearly want to be in NYC, go with God to NYU, my moshei.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:49 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
moshei24 wrote:

This is weird.

Poor sinfiery. He's welcome in Morningside Heights any time he needs Moshei asylum.

bruin91

Postby bruin91 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:24 am

Be nice, fellas. I'm sure Moshei is a nice guy in person. A few threads during admission season can't alone make someone worth ridiculing this much.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:29 am

bruin91 wrote:Be nice, fellas. I'm sure Moshei is a nice guy in person. A few threads during admission season can't alone make someone worth ridiculing this much.

Imagine meeting scifiguy in person. IMAGINE IT!

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:37 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Poor sinfiery. He's welcome in Morningside Heights any time he needs Moshei asylum.

Sounds like a plan 8)

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:38 am

moshei24 wrote:

... :shock:

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:27 am

You're obviously not looking for actual opinions (as evidenced by the fairly deep divide between this poll and your last poll), so why even post in here? If you feel this strongly about NYU, go.

I will say that:

I want to make a lot of money

Becomes significantly harder when, in order to break even, you have to spend at least two and a half years in biglaw. And also, lol at not including interest on 120k+ in loans.

But hey, you seem to know this. Enjoy NYU. Do your classmates a favor and don't be irritating. :)

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:28 am

I'm not sure whether that's a possible $8500 per year or one-time. It looks like it is annually. If it's one-time, the COA figure for NYU seems a bit low since tuition+fees+books are 57K. If it's one-time, you'll be looking at about 170K all said and done from NYU (that's going to be 200K with interest and origination fee), and probably 60K from Georgetown.

125K is a lot different from 200K.

Additionally, if you want to do criminal defense and make a lot of money, it's a good idea to start out in biglaw if you don't want to work your way up in the DAs office and can't get DOJ. White collar practice is big money, but if you want to do more "blue collar" crime, you can move from there into a prosecutor's job and eventually into a boutique criminal firm.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:59 am

timbs4339 wrote:I'm not sure whether that's a possible $8500 per year or one-time. It looks like it is annually. If it's one-time, the COA figure for NYU seems a bit low since tuition+fees+books are 57K. If it's one-time, you'll be looking at about 170K all said and done from NYU (that's going to be 200K with interest and origination fee), and probably 60K from Georgetown.

Additionally, if you want to do criminal defense and make a lot of money, it's a good idea to start out in biglaw if you don't want to work your way up in the DAs office and can't get DOJ. White collar practice is big money, but if you want to do more "blue collar" crime, you can move from there into a prosecutor's job and eventually into a boutique criminal firm.

It would be yearly, and I'm hoping my grandparents would be willing to give me a little money as an interest free loan. That would reduce my total costs.

What do you mean by moving to a prosecutor job and then to a criminal firm? I can't just go from BigLaw straight to a criminal law firm if I choose to do blue collar?

Let's say I choose to do litigation. What are my options there?

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:17 am

moshei24 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:I'm not sure whether that's a possible $8500 per year or one-time. It looks like it is annually. If it's one-time, the COA figure for NYU seems a bit low since tuition+fees+books are 57K. If it's one-time, you'll be looking at about 170K all said and done from NYU (that's going to be 200K with interest and origination fee), and probably 60K from Georgetown.

It would be yearly, and I'm hoping my grandparents would be willing to give me a little money as an interest free loan. That would reduce my total costs.

What do you mean by moving to a prosecutor job and then to a criminal firm? I can't just go from BigLaw straight to a criminal law firm if I choose to do blue collar?

I think you're still underestimate the price, even without considering the interest, but including SA position and not including interest 125,000 sounds about right. Probably more like 150 at the end of it all.

You could go straight to a small crim defense boutique, but I think the more common route is to go to a DA or USAO (US Attorney Office) to get the trial experience that you will probably never get in biglaw outside of pro bono. If you tough it out in a prosecutor's office you also might be able to go back to a firm as a partner in general lit or white collar defense.

Remember that if you leave biglaw, it is going to take you a long time to see that kind of money, if you ever see it. The market for upscale crim defense work is exceedingly small. Take this guy, Gerald Shargel, thought of as maybe one of the best trial lawyers alive and one of the top criminal lawyers in NYC. His office consisted of himself, three associates, and a paralegal.

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2013/06/10/def ... to-biglaw/

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:36 am

timbs4339 wrote:
moshei24 wrote:

I think you're still underestimate the price, even without considering the interest, but including SA position and not including interest 125,000 sounds about right. Probably more like 150 at the end of it all.

You could go straight to a small crim defense boutique, but I think the more common route is to go to a DA or USAO (US Attorney Office) to get the trial experience that you will probably never get in biglaw outside of pro bono. If you tough it out in a prosecutor's office you also might be able to go back to a firm as a partner in general lit or white collar defense.

Remember that if you leave biglaw, it is going to take you a long time to see that kind of money, if you ever see it. The market for upscale crim defense work is exceedingly small. Take this guy, Gerald Shargel, thought of as maybe one of the best trial lawyers alive and one of the top criminal lawyers in NYC. His office consisted of himself, three associates, and a paralegal.

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2013/06/10/def ... to-biglaw/

It would be that much even with a SA position? How? Would you mind giving me your breakdown?

So BigLaw to DA/USAO to small criminal defense firm? How much do you think they pay? Like, I would still need to go to BigLaw to pay my loans, right? Also, given my situation, do you think NYU is the correct choice?

Thanks!!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”