Cornell $ vs Georgetown $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell vs Georgetown

Cornell (36k scholarship)
5%
Georgetown (105k schorlarship)
95%

Total votes: 41

tlsshin

Cornell $ vs Georgetown $$$

Postby tlsshin » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:33 pm

Long story short, I was fortunate enough to get accepted to Cornell and Georgetown. As the time to make a decision approaches, I wish to hear valuable advices from fellow TLSers. I wish to study tax law, and, if possible, I wish to come back to California. Retake is not an option!

Thank you for your honest advices. :)

WokeUpInACar

Re: Cornell $ vs Georgetown $$$

Postby WokeUpInACar » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:40 pm

I'm betting that retaking is by far your best option (your reason not to isn't good enough, I promise), but Georgetown is clearly the superior of these two choices.

tlsshin

Postby tlsshin » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:41 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:I'm betting that retaking is by far your best option (your reason not to isn't good enough, I promise), but Georgetown is clearly the superior of these two choices.

Thank you for your advice! Definitely will think about that.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:42 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:I'm betting that retaking is by far your best option (your reason not to isn't good enough, I promise), but Georgetown is clearly the superior of these two choices.

Is GULC with 105k really a bad option?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:44 pm

We need CoA figures at each school. Please follow directions!

In a vacuum, Cornell is the better choice, even for CA, up until ~$20K/yr more scholly from Gtown. I would definitely take Cornell for significantly more $ over gulc. I wouldn't go more than $150K into debt at Cornell for bidding CA biglaw, since that outcome is unlikely either way. If NYC biglaw was an acceptance result, Cornell at higher CoAs might be more feasible.

Edit: just saw scholly figures in poll. Still would like CoAs, but Id go to GULC at that price difference.
Last edited by jbagelboy on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:45 pm

toothbrush wrote:

Is GULC with 105k really a bad option?

No it isn't. That doesn't contradict what I said though.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:48 pm

it's between GULC and retake. Cornell should not even be an option in this poll.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:30 pm

tlsshin wrote:Long story short, I was fortunate enough to get accepted to Cornell and Georgetown. As the time to make a decision approaches, I wish to hear valuable advices from fellow TLSers. I wish to study tax law, and, if possible, I wish to come back to California. Retake is not an option!

Thank you for your honest advices. :)

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:47 pm

Retake

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:59 pm

Retake.

If you insist on settling for something less than what's in your best interest, then GULC beats Cornell at these prices.

Rlabo

Postby Rlabo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:44 am

Easy choice here is GULC given there LLM in tax is one of the best and highly regarded, and it may be slightly easier to get back to Cali from GULC (though I could be wrong about that). Throw in the 2/3rd scholly and I don't see how you can go wrong (unless of course you screw up 1l, but that doesn't really have much to do with the school choice).

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:14 pm

I wanted to vote for Cornell because I want you to be my classmate :wink: but seriously with 105k... GULC is probably the answer

Return to “Choosing a Law School”