Why is Northwestern so badly ranked in LST?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
laww

Re: Why is Northwestern so badly ranked in LST?

Postby laww » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:24 pm

laotze wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Magnalum wrote:Northwestern sends about 10% of graduates to JD Preferred jobs that do not count as LST jobs in the overall jobs percentage. Peer schools like Duke and Cornell have very few (4 between them) JD preferred jobs. When you add the JD preferred jobs to Northwestern's total, they are on par with Duke and Cornell. I think it is reasonable to count JD Preferred from NU because if the relationship with the business school at NU.

It's not just the relationship, a large percentage of our class actually is getting an MBA and pursues MBA track jobs.

Another chunk of the class is doing AJD and several, are just going back to where they came from (which was the idea behind the program).

Northwestern really is the anti-Chicago in so many aspects. I'm inclined to love them for it.

Can you explain what you mean?

laotze

Postby laotze » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:28 pm

laww wrote:
laotze wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Magnalum wrote:Northwestern sends about 10% of graduates to JD Preferred jobs that do not count as LST jobs in the overall jobs percentage. Peer schools like Duke and Cornell have very few (4 between them) JD preferred jobs. When you add the JD preferred jobs to Northwestern's total, they are on par with Duke and Cornell. I think it is reasonable to count JD Preferred from NU because if the relationship with the business school at NU.

It's not just the relationship, a large percentage of our class actually is getting an MBA and pursues MBA track jobs.

Another chunk of the class is doing AJD and several, are just going back to where they came from (which was the idea behind the program).

Northwestern really is the anti-Chicago in so many aspects. I'm inclined to love them for it.

Can you explain what you mean?

Lofty academic obsession and myopic focus on a field as nebulous as economics vs real world practicality and employment/experience-oriented philosophy.
Don't get me wrong, Chicago is a fantastic school with great job prospects, but I admire Northwestern for blazing their own route rather than trying to ape Chicago's HY-inferiority complex.

Just my utterly subjective impression.

laww

Postby laww » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:33 pm

Also isn't northwestern's mba program really good?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:33 pm

laww wrote:Also isn't northwestern's mba program really good?

It's better at MBA than NUSL is at Law.

jn7

Postby jn7 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:00 pm

I'm not sure if this adds any additional insight, but if you look strictly at the JD-MBA employment data:

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/career/ ... jdmba.html

18/27 went to JD advantage and I think that JD/MBA's count in the regular JD figures. Those 18 are probably really solid jobs.

froglee

Postby froglee » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:18 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
laww wrote:I thought northwestern students have better employment statistics than the ones posted on law school transparency.

can someone explain? i thought people who went to northwestern made bank because like 1/2 the graduates made like 160k lol

I read this as you saying that your gut says the actual numbers are bullshit, and you're looking for a few NW students to be like, "yo, it ain't that bad," at which point you're gonna be like, "see, my gut is right."

hahaha... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another

Postby Another » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:05 am

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WheninLaw

Postby WheninLaw » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:25 pm

laotze wrote:
Lofty academic obsession and myopic focus on a field as nebulous as economics vs real world practicality and employment/experience-oriented philosophy.
Don't get me wrong, Chicago is a fantastic school with great job prospects, but I admire Northwestern for blazing their own route rather than trying to ape Chicago's HY-inferiority complex.

Not get into UoC I'm guessing? I'm never for shirking for my school but that's got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. If you think the "learning style" is different between the two, well then I have some swampland in FL to sell you.

Assuming you are a 0L

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:35 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
laotze wrote:

Not get into UoC I'm guessing? I'm never for shirking for my school but that's got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. If you think the "learning style" is different between the two, well then I have some swampland in FL to sell you.

Assuming you are a 0L

I may not disagree with you, but I do find it distasteful when people troll on others about admission record (oh you didnt get in ergo my sassy powes of deduction read your uni-layer bitterness ect). Its the basest of TLS insults and it should be kept off the on topic threads

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:32 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
laotze wrote:

Assuming you are a 0L

I may not disagree with you, but I do find it distasteful when people troll on others about admission record (oh you didnt get in ergo my sassy powes of deduction read your uni-layer bitterness ect). Its the basest of TLS insults and it should be kept off the on topic threads

bro sounds like u didnt get into uchi bro

obv any1 sayin sumtin bad bout uchi iz jus jelly they didnt get in

uchi 4 lyfe!!!!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”