How bad is UF?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
crestor

Re: How bad is UF?

Postby crestor » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:10 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:protip: don't go to any florida school expecting, or even hoping, for biglawl

what about midlaw?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:17 pm

crestor wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:protip: don't go to any florida school expecting, or even hoping, for biglawl

what about midlaw?

lulz

crestor

Postby crestor » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:19 pm

stillwater wrote:
crestor wrote:

what about midlaw?

lulz

:oops:

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:21 pm

stillwater wrote:
crestor wrote:

what about midlaw?

lulz

better shot than biglaw

so many folks get jerbs from connections

there are a lot of midsize firms, 10-30 attorneys, but the schools located near them have an advantage

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:26 pm

Top 10-15% can get biglaw from UF. All the big Florida firms are at OCI and many national firms have Florida offices.

Though some of these are just resume collection, there are firms from NYC, Atlanta, Tampa, Nashville, DC, Boston, Detroit, Chicago, Philly, Phoenix, and every major city in Florida at the first phase of OCI this year.

Don't come here expecting biglaw. Keep costs down. Do extremely well and it can happen but half people end up at small firms.

crestor

Postby crestor » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:31 pm

nebula666 wrote:Top 10-15% can get biglaw from UF. All the big Florida firms are at OCI and many national firms have Florida offices.

Though some of these are just resume collection, there are firms from NYC, Atlanta, Tampa, Nashville, DC, Boston, Detroit, Chicago, Philly, Phoenix, and every major city in Florida at the first phase of OCI this year.

Don't come here expecting biglaw. Keep costs down. Do extremely well and it can happen but half people end up at small firms.

Is FSU big law non existent then?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:33 pm

crestor wrote:
nebula666 wrote:Top 10-15% can get biglaw from UF. All the big Florida firms are at OCI and many national firms have Florida offices.

biglawl should not be a consideration for you if you attend a florida school

at uf, maybe, MAYBE, 30 people out of 300 students get a summer associate position.

not all of them get offers.

if you think you're a special snowflake, then roll the dice

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:34 pm

crestor

Postby crestor » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:35 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
crestor wrote:

biglawl should not be a consideration for you if you attend a florida school

at uf, maybe, MAYBE, 30 people out of 300 students get a summer associate position.

not all of them get offers.

if you think you're a special snowflake, then roll the dice

i'd prefer to work for fla govn't. then again, i'd also like to be a public defender that actually wants to be there down the road. have a significant inheritance coming in 5-10 years so money is not an issue. law school also paid by folks. don't care for big law and don't need it.
Last edited by crestor on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:36 pm

so go where you'll enjoy being for three years

crestor

Postby crestor » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:38 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:so go where you'll enjoy being for three years

i'd be OOS and they have seen Miami tuition and its a no-go. so its either FSU/UF or maybe hastings/davis. but with hastings/davis it's also a no-go. so FSU/FU.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:39 pm

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:39 pm

crestor wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
crestor wrote:
i'd prefer to work for fla govn't. then again, i'd also like to be a public defender that actually wants to be there down the road. have a significant inheritance coming in 5-10 years so money is not an issue. law school also paid by folks. don't care for big law and don't need it.

FSU is better for both of these. I'd only take UF over FSU if you want to work at a firm. I also personally liked Gainesville much more than Tallahassee but that's a different story.
Last edited by nebula666 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crestor

Postby crestor » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:42 pm

sublime wrote:
crestor wrote:

I don't think FSU would be bad for that situation, honestly.

i live in california too where the economy is headed to SHIT. florida is bad but not as bad as fuckigncalifornia. governor moonbeam... enough said. supposedly rick scott is competent enough not to screw things up.

florida has no income tax. florida has cheaper property. my folks house in the bay area costs a good 750-825 depending on market fluctuations. in FL it would cost 1/3 the price. dat dere location.

crestor

Postby crestor » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:45 pm

nebula666 wrote:
crestor wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
crestor wrote:

FSU is better for both of these. I'd only take UF over FSU if you want to work at a firm. I also personally liked Gainesville much more than Tallahassee but that's a different story.

i've only been to miami once and was in love with the city. not to sound prejudicial but for UF/FSU i've always thought of them as being football crazy schools that the waterboy movie with adam sandler portrayed to a tee. as a person who went to a school wtihotu a football team, i'd love to have a break here and now and watch some gators/seminoles assuming where I go.

i've also researched that gainseville is significanlty more "hick" than tallahasse. am i wrong?

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:48 pm

crestor

Postby crestor » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:52 pm

sublime wrote:I am not sure who lied to you about Rick Scott :lol:

And both are pretty hick the further you get away from campus. Tallahassee is far more diverse though, if that appeals to you.

i'm not white so yes it does weigh in but it's not a make or break. i want to go where i will get employed and live well.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:10 am

transferhopes2013

Postby transferhopes2013 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:19 am

I don't want to interrupt the thread, but I am top of my class at UF/FSU and have been accepted on transfer to Boalt and Michigan. My goal is big law. After reading this thread I am strongly leaning towards leaving. What are your thoughts?

crestor

Postby crestor » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:20 am

sublime wrote:
crestor wrote:
sublime wrote:I am not sure who lied to you about Rick Scott :lol:

And both are pretty hick the further you get away from campus. Tallahassee is far more diverse though, if that appeals to you.

i'm not white so yes it does weigh in but it's not a make or break. i want to go where i will get employed and live well.

I like Tallahassee more myself. And while I am white, I value diversity. It should probably mentioned that by diversity I mean pretty much a relatively high African American population.

And for anything but a prayer at biglaw, I lean towards FSU, especially for gov't/PI work. But visit both places if you can and see what you like. For instance, I can't stand Miami, so I have different preferences than you.

not black either but i'd prefer that than being the only brown-face.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:21 am

transferhopes2013

Postby transferhopes2013 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:23 am

sublime wrote:
transferhopes2013 wrote:I don't want to interrupt the thread, but I am top of my class at UF/FSU and have been accepted on transfer to Boalt and Michigan. My goal is big law. After reading this thread I am strongly leaning towards leaving. What are your thoughts?

Congrats! :D

Myself, if I was set on big law and didn't mind the increased debt, then I would, yes.

Do try to research how transfers fare at those schools if you can though.

Transfers seemingly fare extremely well. Michigan hasn't had an unemployed transfer (9 mos out) in its last two classes. Berkeley reports similar statistics.

crestor

Postby crestor » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:24 am

transferhopes2013 wrote:I don't want to interrupt the thread, but I am top of my class at UF/FSU and have been accepted on transfer to Boalt and Michigan. My goal is big law. After reading this thread I am strongly leaning towards leaving. What are your thoughts?

i live in bay area and hope to go to law school in fl, assuming you are a florida resident, boalt OOS tuition and Michigan OOS tuition will be 3 X higher than your fla/fsu tuition not including living expenses which in the bay area (do not know michigan) are EXPENSIVE. gratz on acceptances and GL.

transferhopes2013

Postby transferhopes2013 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:25 am

sublime wrote:

Congrats! :D

Myself, if I was set on big law and didn't mind the increased debt, then I would, yes.

Do try to research how transfers fare at those schools if you can though.

Edit: And keep in mind that most in this thread are 0L's so take advice with a grain of salt.

Thank you!

transferhopes2013

Postby transferhopes2013 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:26 am

crestor wrote:

i live in bay area and hope to go to law school in fl, assuming you are a florida resident, boalt OOS tuition and Michigan OOS tuition will be 3 X higher than your fla/fsu tuition not including living expenses which in the bay area (do not know michigan) are EXPENSIVE. gratz on acceptances and GL.

Thanks for the input - COA if I stay would be 80k v. 140k if I transfer.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”