How bad is UF? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rad lulz

Platinum

Re: How bad is UF?

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:39 am

Bless wrote:
rad lulz wrote:but judging from my own law school experience, those first 2 categories are very very small
lol, now you're doing what I was doing, except my experience was at least pertinent to the relevant market.
The difference is that I brought forth the relevant stats where applicable

There's no stats on "people who never wanted to practice law" unfortunately

edit: except for what I poasted below
Last edited by rad lulz on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:41 am

timbs4339 wrote: Please point me to all these great non-law jobs. Because when T13 schools are placing 90 or 95% of their classes into lawyer jobs (and when the vast majority of FSU students take the bar), it tends to refute the idea that there is a large percentage of people who never wanted to become lawyers in the first place.
Relevant data

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... other.html

tl;dr

People don't want "JD other jobs," people go to law school to be lawyers

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:01 pm

timbs4339 wrote: Please point me to all these great non-law jobs. Because when T13 schools are placing 90 or 95% of their classes into lawyer jobs (and when the vast majority of FSU students take the bar), it tends to refute the idea that there is a large percentage of people who never wanted to become lawyers in the first place.
The friend I'm speaking of actually took the FL bar, passed, and now works in Cali in-house for a firm that does not require bar passage. Hence, he is very misleadingly included in the statistic rad lulz provided, as are others who have taken on other ventures.

I don't really know how many of these "great non-law jobs" are -- or are not -- out there. I just know he landed a sick gig in house. And I have friends at FSU who do not want to become lawyers (or so they say). Personally, I'm open to not becoming a lawyer if I find a good look elsewhere in the coming year. Not everyone is set on being a lawyer.

But we are beginning to derail the topic; this isn't my thread and, even if it was, I'm not trying to take this argumentative avenue.

Just was dropping my two cents for OP. When I was a 0L asking about a particular school/market, I liked to hear first hand anecdotes from the people who have experience with that school/market.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:18 pm

Bless wrote:
The friend I'm speaking of actually took the FL bar, passed, and now works in Cali in-house for a firm that does not require bar passage. Hence, he is excluded from the statistic rad lulz provided, as are others who have taken on other ventures.

I don't really know how many of these "great non-law jobs" are -- or are not -- out there. I just know he landed a sick gig in house. And I have friends at FSU who do not want to become lawyers (or so they say). Personally, I'm open to not becoming a lawyer if I find a good look elsewhere in the coming year. Not everyone is set on being a lawyer.

But we are beginning to derail the topic; this isn't my thread and, even if it was, I'm not trying to take this argumentative avenue.

Just was dropping my two cents for OP. When I was a 0L asking about a particular school/market, I liked to hear first hand anecdotes from the people who have experience with that school/market.
The problem is that you present the anecdotes absent any data, or worse, as if they refute the data. In fact, you really have no idea whether the school counted him as non-law or in the bar passage rate. If he passed the bar and is doing legal work they may have lumped him in the latter category.

People who go to law school generally want to become lawyers. That's borne out by the percentage of people who take the bar (a significant investment of time and money) and the percentage of people who become lawyers or other legal professionals at schools where that is an option for almost all of the graduates. They may not be wedded to the idea, and they definitely keep their options open when the market can't support the graduates. The fact that they are taking non-law jobs is more about the weakness of the job market, not the initial preferences of the graduates.

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:38 pm

timbs4339 wrote:The problem is that you present the anecdotes absent any data, or worse, as if they refute the data. In fact, you really have no idea whether the school counted him as non-law or in the bar passage rate. If he passed the bar and is doing legal work they may have lumped him in the latter category.
You don't know what they counted him as either. You have no idea how he was counted or what he was categorized as. Thus, you don't know the credibility of your own data. And my anecdotes are anecdotes; I never disguised them as something else. I won't apologize for presenting anecdotes that seem to refute the data, lol. I'm not trying to recruit more competition into the market I will likely be working; I have no dog in this fight, trust me. I'm just giving OP some insight.
timbs4339 wrote:People who go to law school generally want to become lawyers. That's borne out by the percentage of people who take the bar (a significant investment of time and money) and the percentage of people who become lawyers or other legal professionals at schools where that is an option for almost all of the graduates. They may not be wedded to the idea, and they definitely keep their options open when the market can't support the graduates. The fact that they are taking non-law jobs is more about the weakness of the job market, not the initial preferences of the graduates.
That's true. Believe me, I was never oblivious to that assertion. Overall, the legal market sucks because the economy does, and there is no doubt that the state of the market contributes the JDs seeking other work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:49 pm

Bless wrote: You don't know what they counted him as either. You have no idea how he was counted or what he was categorized as. Thus, you don't know the credibility of your own data.
lol cmon dude we don't even really know what his job is; that's ridiculous

Then again schools WANT to categorize everything that can be categorized as FT/LT/BPR in that category

see, e.g., schools creating FT/BPR fellowships for a year (so it can be LT)

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:09 pm

It's pretty simple. If you aren't above median at UF, you will struggle.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:28 pm

nebula666 wrote:It's pretty simple. If you aren't above median at UF, you will struggle.
How do you figure

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:29 pm

nebula666 wrote:It's pretty simple. If you aren't above median at UF, you will struggle.
lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:16 pm

since we're doing the anecdata boogaloo, i was just outside the top quarter and got three oci interviews, one because of my dad

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:59 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
since we're doing the anecdata boogaloo, i was just outside the top quarter and got three oci interviews, one because of my dad
DId any of them result in a SA?? Where they with big firms?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:10 am

mvonh001 wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
DId any of them result in a SA?? Where they with big firms?
no, two were biglulz and one was a midsize plaintiff's firm, which is what i work at now and is pretty awesome

all the other arguments folks are bickering about ITT aside, i cannot emphasize enough that you do not go to any school in florida with the expectation or hope of biglaw. if you get an opportunity for it, great. take it if you want. but lol @ you if you go, don't get it (like 90% of the students) and then get pissy about it

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”