Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pwnyc127
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:54 am

Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby pwnyc127 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:25 pm

Brooklyn offered $50,000 with a top 80% stip
Fordham just accepted me off the waitlist today with $5,000. Not sure what Fordham's stips are.

Total COA (all 3 years combined)
Fordham- $160,662
Brooklyn- $22,026

In terms of loans, I would have to borrow $140,000 for Fordham and $2026 for Brooklyn.

I want to go to the best law school that I possibly can, however, I'm extremely debt averse due to the current state of the legal market. Is Fordham really worth paying $138,636 more?

I already took the lsat 3 times so retake is not an option.
Last edited by pwnyc127 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:32 pm

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers

-How many times you have taken the LSAT

pwnyc127
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:54 am

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby pwnyc127 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:53 pm

I was born and raised in NY, and I want to work in NY or one of the surrounding states. Preferably in house corporate counsel or a large firm, however I realize that my priorities and interests may change during law school.

overall 3.52 and 163. 4.0 in the last two and a half years. Award from John Jay College for highest GPA in the criminal justice major.
Last edited by pwnyc127 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

empyreanrrv
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:49 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby empyreanrrv » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:59 pm

We are looking for what your personal cost of attendance at those schools will be. If Fordham is sticker-5k, then you're probably looking at around 150k just with tuition for three years? If BLS is a full ride with free housing, you're probably looking at something like 10k CoA, if that? If that is the case it depends how badly you want biglaw. You probably won't get it from Fordham, but it'll be extremely hard to get it from BLS. 150k for Fordham is pretty insane, while BLS at ~20k can be reasonable. Take BLS and be at peace with no biglaw, or wait out the retake period and retake for T14.

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby nebula666 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:17 pm

You didn't post the total COA so I was confused. If Brooklyn TOTAL COA isn't under 50k I wouldn't go. Don't pay sticker for Fordham.

pwnyc127
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:54 am

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby pwnyc127 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:48 pm

Is that the consensus here? Fordham sticker minus 5K is not worth it?

californiauser
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby californiauser » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:47 pm

Those COA numbers make no sense.

Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:57 pm

pwnyc127 wrote:Is that the consensus here? Fordham sticker minus 5K is not worth it?


Not even close to worth it.

People are looking for your personal three-year cost of attendance, by the way. You should put those figures in the OP for more helpful advice.

BigZuck
Posts: 10870
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:05 pm

Retake

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby guano » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:07 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
pwnyc127 wrote:Is that the consensus here? Fordham sticker minus 5K is not worth it?


Not even close to worth it.

People are looking for your personal three-year cost of attendance, by the way. You should put those figures in the OP for more helpful advice.
eh, not really necessary.
We're talking roughly $150k vs $30k (or less)
Fordham is objectively better, but unless daddy's footing the bill, the price ain't worth it

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby hephaestus » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:08 pm

Brooklyn I guess, but it really doesn't seem to match your goals. Your chances of big law or other desirous outcomes are very small. I'd wait another year so you can take a 4th time.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:04 pm

pwnyc127 wrote:I was born and raised in NY, and I want to work in NY or one of the surrounding states. Preferably in house corporate counsel or a large firm,


Neither school is particularly conducive to your BigLaw / in-house goals (especially not Brooklyn -- it's at least possible from Fordham), so you either need to modify your expectations or wait a year and retake. Please do not go to Fordham at that price.

michaelbluth
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:52 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby michaelbluth » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:36 am

Neither. Retake.

I took 53k at Brooklyn over Fordham at sticker last year (Tuition+Stipend. Last year, tuition was ~48.5k). I'm in the top 3% of my class and have no regrets. I didn't come here wanting biglaw (though my goals have changed a bit as I woke up the morning after spring grades came out and remembered that I like money. Now I'd like it, but it wasn't my goal a year ago and I won't be devastated if I don't get it). If I was anywhere outside of the top 10%, though, I'd be freaking out right now.

With a few exceptions, OCI firms at BLS "prefer" or flat-out require top 10%. Those that don't require top 15-20 or are IP firms willing to dip down to the top-third. That doesn't mean you'll get a job out of the top 15-20 percent (or 33 for IP). That means a firm will bother looking at your resume when considering whether to give you a screener.

I really like it here and am not transferring, but I wouldn't tell anyone to come here if their goal was biglaw. Also, keep in mind BLS ups tuition each year and the 50k will probably not be a full ride for 2L and 3L.

Fordham's total COA puts you at almost a quarter of a million dollars in debt for about a 25% chance of the outcome you want. Brooklyn's ~75k for less than a 10% chance of that outcome. Unless a significant chunk of your COL is covered or you're willing to readjust your goals (e.g., work in NY area but not biglaw), neither makes sense but at least you'll have less debt coming out of BLS.

TCR is still retake. Do that. Please.

UnderrateOverachieve
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:27 am

You say extremely debt averse, but you are not acting like it. What are some more realistic options if you can't retake and you don't have outside financial support?

I would take Fordham and the debt because I honestly don't care and would take on the risk. You clearly aren't interested in that. What offers have you gotten from other schools?

UnderrateOverachieve
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:28 am

michaelbluth wrote:Neither. Retake.

I took 53k at Brooklyn over Fordham at sticker last year (Tuition+Stipend. Last year, tuition was ~48.5k). I'm in the top 3% of my class and have no regrets. I didn't come here wanting biglaw (though my goals have changed a bit as I woke up the morning after spring grades came out and remembered that I like money. Now I'd like it, but it wasn't my goal a year ago and I won't be devastated if I don't get it). If I was anywhere outside of the top 10%, though, I'd be freaking out right now.

With a few exceptions, OCI firms at BLS "prefer" or flat-out require top 10%. Those that don't require top 15-20 or are IP firms willing to dip down to the top-third. That doesn't mean you'll get a job out of the top 15-20 percent (or 33 for IP). That means a firm will bother looking at your resume when considering whether to give you a screener.

I really like it here and am not transferring, but I wouldn't tell anyone to come here if their goal was biglaw. Also, keep in mind BLS ups tuition each year and the 50k will probably not be a full ride for 2L and 3L.

Fordham's total COA puts you at almost a quarter of a million dollars in debt for about a 25% chance of the outcome you want. Brooklyn's ~75k for less than a 10% chance of that outcome. Unless a significant chunk of your COL is covered or you're willing to readjust your goals (e.g., work in NY area but not biglaw), neither makes sense but at least you'll have less debt coming out of BLS.

TCR is still retake. Do that. Please.


He has taken the test three times.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby Clearly » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:30 am

You're going to have to retake. You can either pay next to nothing to not reach your goals, or pay a lot to still also likely not reach your goals as it goes now.

UnderrateOverachieve
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:32 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:You're going to have to retake. You can either pay next to nothing to not reach your goals, or pay a lot to still also likely not reach your goals as it goes now.


Are people so stuck on the TLS retake that they do not read anymore? He has taken the test THREE times. Even if this is some how a fluke and he can score much higher, how much higher would his fourth test have to be for the law schools to even care?

Another
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:16 pm

.

Postby Another » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:37 am

.
Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby Clearly » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:53 am

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:You're going to have to retake. You can either pay next to nothing to not reach your goals, or pay a lot to still also likely not reach your goals as it goes now.


Are people so stuck on the TLS retake that they do not read anymore? He has taken the test THREE times. Even if this is some how a fluke and he can score much higher, how much higher would his fourth test have to be for the law schools to even care?

I should be more clear. Retake, or don't go to law school, or change your goals. Those aren't my suggestions, those are the ONLY options. He should wait, and retake. I jumped 12 points on my third take, my friend jumped significantly on his fourth take and nabbed a T6. It happens. It depends on how much work he put into the first three takes. If he went ALL OUT for three times and couldn't score higher, then not much he can do. Take the brooklyn offer and understand biglaw is out. On the other hand, odds are with a full year to study, he could go all out and do well. Thats easier to do then giving up ones goals, at least to me.

michaelbluth
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:52 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby michaelbluth » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:57 am

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:
He has taken the test three times.


Then he can wait until he only has 2 scores within the however-many-year time period or beg a school to ask LSAC to let him take again.

Another option might be wait a year and reapply. With the applicant pool continuing to shrink, he may have better luck next year with his current numbers.

The point is, neither option is likely to get him the outcome he wants, so he should take neither option.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby sinfiery » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:30 pm

If you're willing to get rid of your goals of biglaw/in-house, Brooklyn at that price is decent depending on what job you're giving up



If not, Fordham is likely not worth that much debt. Retake or don't go

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:59 pm

sinfiery wrote:If you're willing to get rid of your goals of biglaw/in-house, Brooklyn at that price is decent depending on what job you're giving up



If not, Fordham is likely not worth that much debt. Retake or don't go

blsingindisguise
Posts: 1296
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:35 pm

Fordham is not worth that price. Period.

Brooklyn at low-five-figures is still a gamble but I like the upside vs. downside better than Fordham. At Fordham you still more likely than not don't get biglaw, and then you have six figure debt to service. At Brooklyn you VERY likely don't get biglaw but you're not in a giant financial hole coming out and can be a little more flexible with what kind of job you're willing to take.

0831kf
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 1:25 am

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby 0831kf » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:31 pm

Well, I somewhat hate the TLS "RETAKE" on pretty much anyone who has below 168~170ish. However, I have to say either "RETAKE" or change your goal.

Your chance of landing biglaw out of Brooklyn is less than 10%, out of Fordham is about 30%. If you really want biglaw, retake the test and go to Fordham at current Brooklyn price or Cornell.

Or change your goal. Otherwise, after your 2L OCI, very more than likely, you would regret that you did not listen to many people here.

BigZuck
Posts: 10870
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Brooklyn Law v. Fordham

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:48 pm

0831kf wrote:Well, I somewhat hate the TLS "RETAKE" on pretty much anyone who has below 168~170ish. However, I have to say either "RETAKE" or change your goal.

Your chance of landing biglaw out of Brooklyn is less than 10%, out of Fordham is about 30%. If you really want biglaw, retake the test and go to Fordham at current Brooklyn price or Cornell.

Or change your goal. Otherwise, after your 2L OCI, very more than likely, you would regret that you did not listen to many people here.


Why do you hate that?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests