NYU vs GULC (full scholarship) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which is the better option?

NYU
17%
GULC (full tuition scholarship)
83%

Total votes: 52

moshei24

Bronze

Re: NYU vs GULC (full scholarship)

Post by moshei24 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:41 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:I'm going to post this ITT a) for any posters that have missed this guy's saga and b) because I enjoyed it so damn much.
OP wrote:Dear [Admissions Officer],

I hope all is well.

Exactly four weeks ago I received an email from [Law School] informing me that they were unable to act on my application, and that I was put on hold. (Before I continue, I want to apologize if anything I write sounds in any way rude, as it is not my intention.) That email didn't really make sense to me given my numbers and given the fact that I'm a [University] alumnus who was very involved in leadership programs and groups while in their undergraduate program. After speaking to [University Representatives] (I tried to speak to [Law School representatives] to no avail), I found out that [Law School] had run out of scholarship money, and for that reason put me on hold. I was also told that I could be admitted and attend [Law School] without scholarship money, if I so desired. As you might understand, that would not be an intelligent decision on my part.

This whole series of events really tainted the [University] name for me. Being put on hold really felt like a slap in the face, especially after I had waited an extremely long period time to hear back from [Law School]. Even given all of these events, I would still consider attending [Law School]. At this point, I have placed deposits at [School A] and [School B] , two schools that have offered me generous scholarships. [School A] : $25K a year, and [School B]: $45K a year. If [Law School] is in the position to make me an offer this week, I would be happy to consider it, and hopefully be able to continue my stay under the [University] umbrella.

If you would like to discuss any of this over the phone, I would be happy to do so.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
[0L]

I actually apologized over the phone to Cardozo. We parted ways on a good note.

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:43 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Also OP, literally everyone on this site despises/ridicules you. Dont go to nyu because then theres a chance ill run into you when Im down in the village. And that sounds unpleasant.

Lucky for me that I don't base my life on the opinions of people who sit on Internet forums all day. I also don't judge people based on how they act in a forum. You're probably nothing like your forum persona. Most people put on a facade in forums.

I would love meet up with you in the village, though. You're going to NYU? Wanna grab a beer this week and discuss next year? I'm open to it. I have no hard feelings toward you. :)

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:44 pm

Oh, and here are his previous choosing threads.

The first
The second
The third
The fourth
The fifth
The sixth

And this one makes seven. Most people need one choosing thread, or MAYBE a second if something really crazy changes everything. But not this special little snowflake! When you tell adcomms their WL was "a slap in the face" and you won't go to Duke because it would be "hell" to drive to kosher grocery stores, you need seven.

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:45 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Oh, and here are his previous choosing threads.

The first
The second
The third
The fourth
The fifth
The sixth

And this one makes seven. Most people need one choosing thread, or MAYBE a second if something really crazy changes everything. But not this special little snowflake! When you tell adcomms their WL was "a slap in the face" and you won't go to Duke because it would be "hell" to drive to kosher grocery stores, you need seven.

The fact that you took the time to pull up all the old threads tells me a lot about your online persona. :)

And yes, I am a VERY special snowflake. You should see me in the Winter. ;)

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:53 pm

moshei24 wrote:

The first
The second
The third
The fourth
The fifth
The sixth

The fact that you took the time to pull up all the old threads tells me a lot about your online persona. :)

Pretty much everyone who runs across you wishes you would stop posting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:56 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
moshei24 wrote:

The first
The second
The third
The fourth
The fifth
The sixth

Pretty much everyone who runs across you wishes you would stop posting.
LOL, now that's the response of someone who has nothing to say. You do realize that sometimes you're better off just keeping quiet, right? :)

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:01 pm

moshei24 wrote:This is theoretical. They would have to agree on it.
Hypos suck

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:06 pm

Nova wrote:
Hypos suck
I would've waited until I had a concrete situation, but unfortunately, time is very limited here.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:31 pm

moshei24 wrote:
Nova wrote:
Hypos suck
I would've waited until I had a concrete situation, but unfortunately, time is very limited here.
This makes no sense. These topics could be finished in like 45 seconds 90% of the time if the correct info was given in the OP and you can't play the ignorance card because...

Anyways, a full ride at GULC is likely a better financial decision even if you want to work in NYC than NYU at sticker. But it seems you are picking NYU next year regardless so I guess I'll see you then

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:55 pm

I would also practically be guaranteed a BigLaw job if I go to NYU.
That's awesome, can you please expound on how you're going to absolutely without question going to be above median at a T6 school before you've even started?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:04 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
That's awesome, can you please expound on how you're going to absolutely without question going to be above median at a T6 school before you've even started?
The force is strong with this one.

Really though, I think OP is assuming that famed NYC hebraic network will secure him a job. They are mostly secular, though, so OP may have to bend a few commandments.

(In fairness, normal individuals dont have to be above median at NYU for biglaw tho, its more like avoid bottom quartile. Whether this applies to OP is subjective.. He just asked me out ITT, so there might be more goin on than we know)

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:07 pm

sinfiery wrote: Anyways, a full ride at GULC is likely a better financial decision even if you want to work in NYC than NYU at sticker. But it seems you are picking NYU next year regardless so I guess I'll see you then
Well, at least NYU's big.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:07 pm

moshei24 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Also OP, literally everyone on this site despises/ridicules you. Dont go to nyu because then theres a chance ill run into you when Im down in the village. And that sounds unpleasant.

Lucky for me that I don't base my life on the opinions of people who sit on Internet forums all day. I also don't judge people based on how they act in a forum. You're probably nothing like your forum persona. Most people put on a facade in forums.

I would love meet up with you in the village, though. You're going to NYU? Wanna grab a beer this week and discuss next year? I'm open to it. I have no hard feelings toward you. :)
Im at CLS.

Yea you seem really chill and easy to get along with, we'll def hang out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:08 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:
You most certainly don't have to be above median at NYU to get a Vault firm job. I know tons of people who were below median (albeit not by much) with NYC firm jobs. That being said, his assumption is still hasty and not the way to approach things.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:09 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
moshei24 wrote:

Im at CLS.

Yea you seem really chill and easy to get along with, we'll def hang out.
:lol:

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:10 pm

I mean, even if this dude DOES finish median at NYU, would you want him at your firm if you were a hiring partner?

His post history pretty well establishes that humility, grace and tact are not his strong suits. I'd bet good money he has a "Boom Goes The Dynamite" moment during OCI.

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:09 pm

kaiser wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:
You most certainly don't have to be above median at NYU to get a Vault firm job. I know tons of people who were below median (albeit not by much) with NYC firm jobs. That being said, his assumption is still hasty and not the way to approach things.

Just to clarify, I had other reasons to say that. But there's this creep who keeps making stupid comments in here that makes me want to leave this thread. Not you, but the kid who has no life and keeps making links.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bruin91

Bronze

Post by bruin91 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:01 pm

I'm starting to enjoy these threads in all honesty.

Anyways, none of us can help you out without anything concrete. If you want to go to NYU and have the means to do so, then go. YOLO.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:02 am

I'm not sure why people haven't mentioned this yet but you aren't getting a full ride to GULC. Period.

you dont even have a 1/3 tuition scholarship so why would they bump you to a 150k+ scholarship. It.isnt.happening.

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:06 am

mr.hands wrote:I'm not sure why people haven't mentioned this yet but you aren't getting a full ride to GULC. Period.

you dont even have a 1/3 tuition scholarship so why would they bump you to a 150k+ scholarship. It.isnt.happening.
You're right. I have a 3/5 scholarship to GULC right now. They're really nice there, and I have gotten along really well with them. :)

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:10 am

moshei24 wrote:
mr.hands wrote:I'm not sure why people haven't mentioned this yet but you aren't getting a full ride to GULC. Period.

You're right. I have a 3/5 scholarship to GULC right now. They're really nice there, and I have gotten along really well with them. :)
Uh ok. So, houdini, tell me how a half scholarship turning into a whole one.

Also, you talk to adcomms way too much. You're a GPA and an LSAT, that's it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:14 am

mr.hands wrote:
moshei24 wrote:

3/5 > 1/2. And false, once you start negotiating and you make a good impression on the people you speak with, you become more than just a GPA/LSAT. I hope you realize that if all you were was a GPA and LSAT, negotiating wouldn't exist.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:15 am

My question. If you have some source to a biglaw job outside OCI, as you are implying, why would that source not work from GULC? If it would why are you even considering NYU? On the other hand, if the connection is so flimsy as to only help you from T6 but not T14, why is it even a consideration?

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:16 am

moshei24 wrote:
mr.hands wrote:
moshei24 wrote:

3/5 > 1/2. And false, once you start negotiating and you make a good impression on the people you speak with, you become more than just a GPA/LSAT. I hope you realize that if all you were was a GPA and LSAT, negotiating wouldn't exist.
On the contrary, negotiating works because of the lsat and gpa.

moshei24

Bronze

Post by moshei24 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:26 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:My question. If you have some source to a biglaw job outside OCI, as you are implying, why would that source not work from GULC? If it would why are you even considering NYU? On the other hand, if the connection is so flimsy as to only help you from T6 but not T14, why is it even a consideration?
Oy, it's a connection that will make it that if I'm in a top school and do decently (I'm not gonna slack, though), I'll be in good shape to get a job at the firm because of that. Only a connection with a close relative is a lock and all others are just connections that will likely be able to push you over the edge if needed, and in NYU, that would likely be all that was needed.

Yes, because of LSAT (only, actually) and you make a good impression. If all I did was email and tell them I want more, it wouldn't get the same results as being a classy negotiater.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”