Decided Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I do?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:54 pm

Go to U.Va with money
64%
Enjoy the year off and see what the cycle brings
36%

Total votes: 22

sl5uw13

Bronze

Decided

Post by sl5uw13 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:54 pm

Decided :)
Last edited by sl5uw13 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Re: Go to UVa $$ this fall?

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:04 pm

UVA is your dream school? You're a splitter AND they're offering you almost 100k? TAKE THE MONEY.

I don't know what other offers you think you'd be holding out for. CCN with small $ (40 or less) and MPD for 50-100k are not better than what you've got on the table right now.

If you don't want to go this year, talk to them about deferring for a year and see what they say. The one thing I wouldn't do in your shoes is re-apply and risk the possibility of losing out on big money at your dream school (which, as you probably know, is notorious for fixating on its yield) just because you want to see if you could maybe do a little better.

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:24 pm

Last edited by The-Specs on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:45 pm

The-Specs wrote:If they are giving you 90k off the waitlist i would think that you could get more next year with a normal application.
There is literally no guarantee of that, and in fact I think 90k is probably at the upper end of what you could reasonably expect. Also, 90k + in-state is huge.

If you really want the year off and you're set on UVA, ask them if they'd allow you to defer with the same offer. Congrats on the score and the great offer, by the way.

nerv

New

Post by nerv » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:00 pm

Not sure what I would do in your situation but just to give you an additional data point, I had similar numbers to you and got a similar amount of money at a CCN. Make of that information what you will.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:09 am

nerv wrote:Not sure what I would do in your situation but just to give you an additional data point, I had similar numbers to you and got a similar amount of money at a CCN. Make of that information what you will.
NYU is the only school where 173/3.5 is even guaranteed admission, not to mention scholarship money. Additional data points are always useful, but $90K at Chicago would be incredible, and the butler basically impossible with those numbers. Please correct me if I'm missing something

also if you got $85/87K at CLS I'd be quite jealous :P

nerv

New

Post by nerv » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:19 am

jbagelboy wrote:
nerv wrote:Not sure what I would do in your situation but just to give you an additional data point, I had similar numbers to you and got a similar amount of money at a CCN. Make of that information what you will.
NYU is the only school where 173/3.5 is even guaranteed admission, not to mention scholarship money. Additional data points are always useful, but $90K at Chicago would be incredible, and the butler basically impossible with those numbers. Please correct me if I'm missing something

I was, uh, a tad splittier than him but not by much and I got in the mid $80s at one school and in the $60s at another.

Also, he has closer to a 3.6 than a 3.5.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:29 am

I'm not sure if nerv is the norm or not but that's a data sample worth noting OP. Though if you prefer UVA to CCN, there is no point as I think someone tried negotiating 87k with UVA and didn't get any boost from 105k, can't imagine CLS would be different. UVA is very numbers based for schollies.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:13 am

nerv wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

I was, uh, a tad splittier than him but not by much and I got in the mid $80s at one school and in the $60s at another.

If you're saying you were 3.5/high 170s non-URM and got $80k at CLS, you should note that not only is that not common, it's essentially unheard of. So not a reasonable thing on which to base a decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:20 am

90k at MVP is basically your optimal scenario and I agree that next year is no guarantee. I could see CCN giving you 45k, but it would almost surely be off the wait list given your GPA. I'd take the money and go personally.

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:22 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
nerv wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

If you're saying you were 3.5/high 170s non-URM and got $80k at CLS, you should note that not only is that not common, it's essentially unheard of. So not a reasonable thing on which to base a decision.
edit: see sinfiery's post

Yeah, OP, if you know UVA is where u want to go, maybe ask for a deferral keeping the scholarship, but if you can't get it, given your GPA, I say take it and be happy.
Last edited by untar614 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sl5uw13

Bronze

Post by sl5uw13 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:43 am

Thanks everyone for the replies! I think Thanks Noodleyone for the congrats!
Last edited by sl5uw13 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

you'rethemannowdawg

Bronze

Post by you'rethemannowdawg » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:03 am

NoodleyOne wrote: If you really want the year off and you're set on UVA, ask them if they'd allow you to defer with the same offer. Congrats on the score and the great offer, by the way.
This is what I was thinking. You're not likely to get much better than UVA with 90k with those numbers. That is an excellent outcome, especially if UVA is your dream school. Congrats, OP.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:15 am

It was CLS with 80kish and NYU with 60kish

I'm not sure why you were so vague about the schools when you made a thread about it but pm me if you want me to edit

Enjoy UVA OP

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:06 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
nerv wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Yea thats what Im saying. However, CLS does have a need based component that operates alongside its numbers draw. Beepboop got the $85K with numbers that normally would not be close, but I think he said he's on the very low income side and made that clear. I wouldnt be surprised if the $85K here was largely need based.

This is important for Op in that if OP cannot depend on massive need based (EFC non-zero), they should be aware of the nuance when deciding to shoot for ccn $$.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:20 pm

Run with the 90k.

StillIll

Bronze

Post by StillIll » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:30 pm

I'd go... even if the deferral thing doesn't work out. Especially if it's your dream school. No idea how deferrals work at UVA (if you can get them off of the WL, if you get to keep a scholarship when you defer). A gap year would be nice, but I don't know if you could get a more optimal outcome. Especially if its your dream school! Hope the deferral works out for you though.

sl5uw13

Bronze

Post by sl5uw13 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:31 pm

Yeah I'd probably get no need based aid and I am instate for UVa so that helps. I want to stay in Va so I think this is probably the best that I could hope for :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”