Portability of a Universtiy of Minnesota Degree

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
itachiuchiha

Portability of a Universtiy of Minnesota Degree

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:35 pm

is that degree only good for the state? the region? or is it seen as prestigious nationwide? I am looking to practice in Florida with that degree.

Joe Quincy

Re: Portability of a Universtiy of Minnesota Degree

Postby Joe Quincy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:38 pm

You might get some overlap into North Dakota or Wisconsin...along the border. LOL at Florida. FL is extremely over-saturated and people from the best LS in FL can't get jobs. People at the T14 are practically shut out as well. And you want to roll in with a MN degree? You should read around a little more on here...

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:41 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:You might get some overlap into North Dakota or Wisconsin...along the border. LOL at Florida. FL is extremely over-saturated and people from the best LS in FL can't get jobs. People at the T14 are practically shut out as well. And you want to roll in with a MN degree? You should read around a little more on here...

I am an FL resident, with ties here... my other options are UF, FSU, or UM, UNC, Wake Forest, George Mason, Maryland. Maybe alabama

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:44 pm

Nova in reply wrote:is that degree only good for the state?
No

the region?
Yes (MN, IA, WI, ND, SD...)

or is it seen as prestigious nationwide?
No

I am looking to practice in Florida with that degree.
Dont come here, lol
Last edited by Nova on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:45 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:
Joe Quincy wrote:You might get some overlap into North Dakota or Wisconsin...along the border. LOL at Florida. FL is extremely over-saturated and people from the best LS in FL can't get jobs. People at the T14 are practically shut out as well. And you want to roll in with a MN degree? You should read around a little more on here...

I am an FL resident, with ties here... my other options are UF, FSU, or UM, UNC, Wake Forest, George Mason, Maryland. Maybe alabama

Retake. Or at a minimum go to UF, which I may be wrong but I believe is the top school in state. I know several people from FL, with strong ties to FL, with connections in FL, that graduated near the top of a T14 and still can't find a job. I also have heard of people at the very top of the class at both UF and FSU that are searching.

There just aren't many openings in the whole state. Its a pretty small legal market but one in which people would enjoy living.

Also, not sure it applies to you but their C&F is absolutely ridiculous in FL. I know of several people held up for over a year. One person moved to another state after 2+ years, several hearings, and >$10K in legal fees over something minor. The state he moved to laughed when they told him and said...that's FL for you. (He was accepted without question in the other state.) Then I believe he had to retake the bar.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:38 pm

Go to whichever is cheaper between UF/FSU or retake for T14 + Vandy.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:28 am

definitely retaking
this is all good advice. thanks!!!!!!!!

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:32 am

Goodluck, I've never seen so many lawyer billboards in my life than in Florida.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:34 am

sinfiery wrote:Goodluck, I've never seen so many lawyer billboards in my life than in Florida.

lol!! I see em all the time here in So Fla. The saturation is clear... but it will be tough leaving home after I go to a good law school.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:56 am

nebula666 wrote:Go to whichever is cheaper between UF/FSU or retake for T14 + Vandy.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:52 pm

Tangentially related: I work with a lot of Minneapolis lawyers, including many who graduated from UMN Law, and they bemoaned the fact that UMN made a concerted effort to become a more nationally recognized school, pushing hard for their alums to get jobs elsewhere (the usual suspects like NYC, DC, Chicago), but was only marginally successful. Meanwhile, they alienated some of the local MN firms because they were pushing their better students away from the Twin Cities. So in conclusion, UMN is sort of caught in limbo between regional and national, which sucks.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:55 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:Tangentially related: I work with a lot of Minneapolis lawyers, including many who graduated from UMN Law, and they bemoaned the fact that UMN made a concerted effort to become a more nationally recognized school, pushing hard for their alums to get jobs elsewhere (the usual suspects like NYC, DC, Chicago), but was only marginally successful. Meanwhile, they alienated some of the local MN firms because they were pushing their better students away from the Twin Cities. So in conclusion, UMN is sort of caught in limbo between regional and national, which sucks.

I kinda sensed this tension at ASW

Return to “Choosing a Law School”