"Hopelessly Deadlocked" b/w 2 Schools Ranked in USN's Top 4

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Sir Lurks-a-lot

"Hopelessly Deadlocked" b/w 2 Schools Ranked in USN's Top 4

Postby Sir Lurks-a-lot » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:06 pm

Yo.

As the username was meant to suggest, I've been a fervent, albeit furtive, frequenter of this site and its forums throughout the course of this past year's application cycle, and first of all would like to impart how immensely thankful I am to have stumbled upon this unique online phenomenon; while it has arguably rendered the law school app process even more neurotic than it was just a decade or two ago, at least in my opinion, its benefits overwhelmingly outweigh its detriments. As such, I express my most sincere gratitude to all of you out there on the other side of your computer/smart phone screens, and I eagerly look forward to at the very least posting the details of my cycle here and on LSN in order to "give back," so to speak, once I make a final decision on where exactly I will be matriculating in the fall.

Though I admit to feeling like a bit of a tool/jerk for waiting this long to participate in this virtual marketplace of ideas (...never actually participated in any online forum before, actually...not all that tech-savvy), I nevertheless would like to finally submit a first post; one must learn to swim at some point, and it's probably long-overdue that I dove in (better late than never?). Knowing that the TLS community is comprised of so many talented, thoughtful (as well as humorous/witty :lol: ), and helpful individuals, I respectfully defer to any of its members who might feel compelled to provide me with advice at this late stage in the game (either here or PM; both are welcomed).

I was accepted off of both Chicago's and Harvard's wait lists over the past couple of months. While I feel both blessed and awe-stricken to be facing this choice between such brilliant institutions, the decision itself is poised to be uniquely challenging, in light of both nature and nurture. Here are a few elements of the situation:

1. Financial aid-comparable between the two schools, with slight (<$10,000 per year) advantage to Chicago.
2. Career Aspirations-I am, at least now, far more intrigued with the prospect of public-sector/non-profit etc. employment than with Big Law employment (and it's worth noting that academia isn't out of the question); ultimately, upon graduating, my "dream 1st job" would be to have attained a federal judicial clerkship (though, looking back to how quickly I would change major(s) during the first year of my undergraduate education, I recognize these pre-1L aspirations are both premature and tentative).
3. Academic Interests-[Law and] economics, [legal/political] philosophy, constitutional law, public policy, politics
4. Desired Places in which to Launch Career-In general, East Coast (with DC taking precedence over NYC/Boston)>Texas>Midwest
5. No significant preference either way with regard to class size, geography, relative level of competitiveness among students, grading system, clinical offerings, or extracurricular opportunities.

...wow; Having reread that list and the paragraph immediately preceding it, I'm suddenly having [oh-NOT-so-pleasant] flashbacks to the LSAT writing sample...well, for what it's worth, I note that just as in the cases of those "prompts," there is no built-in prejudice on my part toward either option; my mind, eyes, and ears are open to whatever anyone has to offer. As such, feel free to throw out whatever arguments/suggestions/advice (of any length) you may have! If you would desire knowledge of any further nuances/details of me/my situation, please PM me.

Sincerely,
Sir Lurks-a-lot

sinfiery

Re: "Hopelessly Deadlocked" b/w 2 Schools Ranked in USN's Top 4

Postby sinfiery » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:11 pm

For academia, PI, or clerkships at comparable costs in a location that isn't set, Harvard is the easy choice. Preferring east coast to the Midwest makes this question very one sided. Enjoy Harvard.

Gratz!

gnomgnomuch

Postby gnomgnomuch » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:16 pm

First off, congratulations, you really cant go wrong with either of these two schools.
However, I think (and most everyone would agree) that with your aspirations of PI/Clerkship/Academia Harvard is the winner.

Harvard places better than Chicago in your goals. If big law was your ONLY goal, id still lean more to Harvard though it wouldn't make much of a difference if you were looking to save some money.
Additionally if you decide you want to enter academia (not easy from ANYWHERE) graduating from Harvard would put you in a much better position.

Also, if you decide to go to the west coast, Harvard would get you there much easier (though good grades at Chicago would still do it)
Best of luck in the coming years =)

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:22 pm

Harvard. Harvard. Harvard. It is better at basically all of your career goals (clerking, PI, and academia with east coast preference) and it lines up just as well with your academic interests.

abl

Postby abl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:25 pm

Labeling Chicago as a "Top 4" school is somewhat misleading -- if we're talking about schools as "top x schools," honestly, Chicago is a "top 6" school and Harvard is a "top 3" school. You don't really have a #3 versus #4 comparison. Put another way, the reputation and practical differences between Harvard (USN #3) and Chicago (USN #4) is greater than between Chicago (USN #4) and Duke (USN #11). (And this in no way to denigrate U of C, which is a phenomenal school, better than all but a handful of schools, and has a number of things going for it over Harvard--its intensity, size, and the quarter system, to count just a few.)

Anyways, like the above posters have said, for your interests, Harvard's a pretty easy choice. Chicago's great for all of the things that are important to you, but I think most people would agree that Harvard's better on just about every thing you've cited as mattering. I think all things being equal, preference-wise, Harvard's worth $30,000 (total) more than Chicago. But all things aren't equal here -- your preferences point you to Harvard pretty clearly, so I would take that acceptance without much more thought and feel great about it.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:29 pm

Oh God, I hope UChi students don't start flaming that they're "top 4" now.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:34 pm

Harvard, easily.

About the only way this would be a question would be if you were dead-set on BigLaw and had very big money from Chicago versus little to no money from Harvard.

Congrats!

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:34 pm

(1) Go to Harvard.

(2) Stop writing like you're inextricably caught in a rapturous moment of intellectual splendor. It's just lawl school bro.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:35 pm

Quite possibly the longest humblebrag I've ever seen

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:52 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:Quite possibly the longest humblebrag I've ever seen

This

Just go to Harvard dood

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:55 pm

abl wrote:Labeling Chicago as a "Top 4" school is somewhat misleading -- if we're talking about schools as "top x schools," honestly, Chicago is a "top 6" school and Harvard is a "top 3" school. You don't really have a #3 versus #4 comparison. Put another way, the reputation and practical differences between Harvard (USN #3) and Chicago (USN #4) is greater than between Chicago (USN #4) and Duke (USN #11). (And this in no way to denigrate U of C, which is a phenomenal school, better than all but a handful of schools, and has a number of things going for it over Harvard--its intensity, size, and the quarter system, to count just a few.

This is one of the most annoying paragraphs I've ever read on TLS.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:02 pm

There is no sane reason for you to be deadlocked. Go to Harvard, the difference in cost is minimal. Harvard has a better LIPP program for you should you need or want it. And Harvard gives you everything you want.

That aside, this thread has potential

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:06 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abl

Postby abl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:08 pm

abl wrote:
Labeling Chicago as a "Top 4" school is somewhat misleading -- if we're talking about schools as "top x schools," honestly, Chicago is a "top 6" school and Harvard is a "top 3" school. You don't really have a #3 versus #4 comparison. Put another way, the reputation and practical differences between Harvard (USN #3) and Chicago (USN #4) is greater than between Chicago (USN #4) and Duke (USN #11). (And this in no way to denigrate U of C, which is a phenomenal school, better than all but a handful of schools, and has a number of things going for it over Harvard--its intensity, size, and the quarter system, to count just a few.

Uncalled for, a little?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:09 pm

abl wrote:
abl wrote:
Labeling Chicago as a "Top 4" school is somewhat misleading -- if we're talking about schools as "top x schools," honestly, Chicago is a "top 6" school and Harvard is a "top 3" school. You don't really have a #3 versus #4 comparison. Put another way, the reputation and practical differences between Harvard (USN #3) and Chicago (USN #4) is greater than between Chicago (USN #4) and Duke (USN #11). (And this in no way to denigrate U of C, which is a phenomenal school, better than all but a handful of schools, and has a number of things going for it over Harvard--its intensity, size, and the quarter system, to count just a few.

Uncalled for, a little?

no

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:17 pm

abl wrote:(And this in no way to denigrate U of C, which is a phenomenal school, better than all but a handful of schools, and has a number of things going for it over Harvard--its intensity, size, and the quarter system, to count just a few.)

I think most people would view the quarter system as a distinct disadvantage for Chicago. Same for its grade-derived intensity.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:47 pm

hibiki wrote:(2) Stop writing like you're inextricably caught in a rapturous moment of intellectual splendor. It's just lawl school bro.

Thank you for putting into words exactly what I was feeling while reading that. :lol:

abl

Postby abl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Alright, I'll bite John_rizzy_rawls and rad lulz -- elaborate.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:00 pm

Harvard

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:02 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:06 pm

the fuckin H-BOMB bro

Stinson

Postby Stinson » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:08 pm

1. Go to H.
2. No T4 nonsense. End of story.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:25 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:Quite possibly the longest humblebrag I've ever seen

I literally couldn't even finish reading it, bro. I read this...

OP wrote:I'm suddenly having [oh-NOT-so-pleasant] flashbacks to the LSAT writing sample

...and stopped.

Just go to Harvard, OP.

abl

Postby abl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:28 pm

abl wrote:
Alright, I'll bite John_rizzy_rawls and rad lulz -- elaborate.

It should be self evident

Just brilliant.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:53 pm

Harvard.

Not even close.

Congrats.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”