Full ride at SCU vs Transfer to Berkeley at Sticker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Santa Clara with full ride (already have big law job) vs Transfer to Berkeley at sticker

Santa Clara
70%
Berkeley
30%

Total votes: 20

hopefulIPgirl

New

Full ride at SCU vs Transfer to Berkeley at Sticker

Post by hopefulIPgirl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:27 pm

I already have a big law job in the field I want to practice in (patents).

Transferring would mean spending 3 hours commuting, giving up a well-paid job and going 100K debt. Alternatively, I finish up school part-time with a full scholarship, no debt and keep my big law job.

mojangles

Bronze

Re: Full ride at SCU vs Transfer to Berkeley at Sticker

Post by mojangles » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:53 pm

hopefulIPgirl wrote:I already have a big law job in the field I want to practice in (patents).

Transferring would mean spending 3 hours commuting, giving up a well-paid job and going 100K debt. Alternatively, I finish up school part-time with a full scholarship, no debt and keep my big law job.
obvious transfer situation.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

You have a non-legal job at a biglaw firm? Unless they have given you the contract to join the firm when you graduate from Santa Clara, transfer to Berkeley.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:00 pm

if you were at berkeley, and somebody gave you a biglaw job and 100k cash to go to SCU, would you do it?

hopefulIPgirl

New

Post by hopefulIPgirl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:09 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:You have a non-legal job at a biglaw firm? Unless they have given you the contract to join the firm when you graduate from Santa Clara, transfer to Berkeley.
I do patent prosecution, which is a legal job (though the litigators may disagree). Barring a major disaster, I should keep the job after I graduate and make more money doing the same thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hopefulIPgirl

New

Post by hopefulIPgirl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:11 pm

c3pO4 wrote:if you were at berkeley, and somebody gave you a biglaw job and 100k cash to go to SCU, would you do it?
Yes. I'd also have an awesome story to tell if someone asked me why I transferred to SCU.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:07 am

hopefulIPgirl wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:if you were at berkeley, and somebody gave you a biglaw job and 100k cash to go to SCU, would you do it?
Yes. I'd also have an awesome story to tell if someone asked me why I transferred to SCU.
well, then you have your answer :). FWIW SCU seems to be highly respected in the silicon valley patent world

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”