I need help making the final decision

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
roverrr

I need help making the final decision

Postby roverrr » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:35 am

hi, All!

I'm currently deciding between Michigan Law (grew up near Ann Arbor, did Michigan undergrad) an Berkeley Law. Right now the interests are International Human Rights Law or Environmental Law, so I'm thinking the east coast is where I want to end up career-wise. Cost of attendance will be roughly equal. I've been told that attending Berkeley might be risky for getting a job on the east coast, but I've also heard that east coast firms recruit from Berkeley. I really need all the feedback I can get!

Ti Malice

Re: I need help making the final decision

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:15 am

Please read this post and provide the info detailed therein: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=206299.

One bit of advice everyone here can give you beforehand, however, is that IHR law and environmental law (in the sense of not defending wealthy corporations for their environmental depredations) essentially do not exist. If you want to work in one of these areas, you need to go to YHS, have serious and long-established connections in the given field prior to law school, and then be incredibly lucky on top of that.

roverrr

Postby roverrr » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:41 am

Ti Malice wrote:Please read this post and provide the info detailed therein: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=206299.

COA Berkeley: $222684 and COA Michigan $200850, so I was wrong earlier when I said that cost of attendance will be roughly equal.
I will be financing partly through loans and partly with my own savings and help from parents (full tuition will be taken on loan, parents and savings will cover living expenses).
I'm from Michigan and want to work on the east coast, no significant ties to any other region.
I will say general career goals are undecided, I am interested in environmental law and IHR, but this is likely to change.
I took the LSAT twice, received a 159 the first time and a 168 the second time and had a UG GPA of 3.44.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:50 am

Berkeley's employment numbers are a bit higher (see Law School Transparency) and it seems that a handful of East Coast firms seem to recruit out of Berkeley.

Not sure if that's work $20K more though.

Also, if parents are covering the living costs, NorCal, while more expensive, is a much nicer place to live for 3 years than Ann Arbor.

sausageandeggslover

Postby sausageandeggslover » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:21 am

deleted

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:20 pm

roverrr wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:Please read this post and provide the info detailed therein: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=206299.

COA Berkeley: $222684 and COA Michigan $200850, so I was wrong earlier when I said that cost of attendance will be roughly equal.
I will be financing partly through loans and partly with my own savings and help from parents (full tuition will be taken on loan, parents and savings will cover living expenses).
I'm from Michigan and want to work on the east coast, no significant ties to any other region.
I will say general career goals are undecided, I am interested in environmental law and IHR, but this is likely to change.
I took the LSAT twice, received a 159 the first time and a 168 the second time and had a UG GPA of 3.44.

Wow, you should feel very blessed to have gotten into Berk. They usually favor applicants with high GPAs. The difference in employment scores between B and M is negligible, however, so I personally don't think Berk is worth $20k more than Michigan. I'd take Michigan here.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:25 pm

If you want to be on the East Coast, definitely pick Michigan here. Berkeley is not unknown on the East Coast but it is a half-step behind the rest.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:39 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:If you want to be on the East Coast, definitely pick Michigan here. Berkeley is not unknown on the East Coast but it is a half-step behind the rest.

I'm usually a Berkeley homer, but yeah, if you want to go East, then I vote Ann Arbor.

On the plus side, you can start getting blue-and-gold apparel now, regardless of where you go! 8)

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:57 pm

probably not material to your decision, but just know that you will be able to obtain instate tuition at Cal for years 2 & 3. (Dunno about Mich.)

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:05 pm

Michigan for the east coast unless your interest in environmental law is particularly strong (doesn't seem to be the case) then berk.

Good options given your GPA.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:20 pm

Holy shit on a stick, Cal with a sub 3.5 GPA? Are you urm? I dont get it o.o. You must have insane softs.

Yo there might not be jobs waiting for you post-grad, but you can do a ton of cool international human rights stuff at berkeley. They have clinics that go down to south america and asia and do all sorts of cool representation. Theres also the local East Bay Community Law Center, which several friends have worked at as 1Ls (and had no trouble transitioning to 500+ CA firms after). As for environmental, their journals are amazing, and the interdisciplinary resources available via the graduate campus are regularly used and only rivaled by Harvard. People are really pationate there in a way I didnt witness at any other campus, and they made it seem like there would be real opportunities as a student to engage in environmental PI.

That being said, no one (read: like 3 ppl) works in those fields after graduation. A lot of the top IHR kids gun for clerkships in 3L, and one guy even secured a SCOTUS clerkship last year. The environmental law kids go through the blind interviewing process just like everyone else and try to come out with bay area firm work. Only the local Pi people really stick with lrap eligible positions post-grad, since Cal dominates DA/PD offices throughout california. Some PI kids are just underemployed.

Morever, san francisco is incredible, and I think you would appreciate a change in scene. The COL difference is mitigated by family support, and trust me, its better. Get out a little! Sounds like you've never really had the chance to leave the nest. Also, you'll be establishing two huge alumni networks since you are already Mich UG, which will help in unquantifiable ways down the road.

Best of luck and congrats on two great options for public interest.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:10 pm

I'd say neither because if you want to practice international human rights you should join the peace corps

Return to “Choosing a Law School”