Where to choose - top 14 shools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JoshuaFitch

Where to choose - top 14 shools

Postby JoshuaFitch » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:53 pm

Last edited by JoshuaFitch on Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Re: Where to choose - top 14 shools

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:44 pm

You could apply to Yale. It's extraordinarily rare, but not impossible, for someone with your numbers to be accepted. Stanford will be a long shot, but you definitely have a chance.

You're better than a coin flip at Harvard, you're looking at $$ from Chicago, and you could easily get a full ride from a lower T14. Apply everywhere come September 1 and see what happens.

1. If you want to work in Europe, get something other than a JD. You would be at a distinct disadvantage even with a Harvard degree and language fluency.

2. It's quite normal to leave Biglaw after 3-5 years. Lots of associates are just there until they pay down their debt so they can go do what they actually want to do. Almost everyone who leaves Biglaw subsequently goes into something with a better work/life balance. If money isn't all that important to you afterwards, you can find something decent pretty easily. As for a big difference in Biglaw opportunity...depends on what you call a "big" difference. The difference between Harvard and Georgetown is huge, in terms of opportunity. It's up to you whether 5-10% constitutes a "big" difference, but it will depend on which schools you're comparing.

muskies970

Postby muskies970 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:53 pm

A lot of the lower T14 will give you fee waivers to apply, it would only be 22 dollars for the lsac fee, with that in mind I would request them, and if given apply everywhere.

Also definitely apply to Yale, it's worth a shot.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:14 pm

Are you sure that law is for you with all your emphasis on work-life balance? It is possible to have this balance but law is generally an extremely demanding career.

Why do you want law specifically? What particular interest do you have?

Lots of law students are married so you don't have to worry about that.

You should invest the money and apply everywhere. Get waivers, there is a thread about applying for waivers. You may find yourself in a position to negotiate for scholarships by playing one school against another . Don't shut yourself out of this advantage by not applying.

Good luck!

JoshuaFitch

Postby JoshuaFitch » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:41 pm

Last edited by JoshuaFitch on Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:32 am

Definitely apply to Yale. Your odds are very slim, but they're not zero, and applying prevents any regrets down the road. For what it's worth, I know a couple of non-URMs here with numbers lower than yours on both counts. (And, no, I don't ever ask people their numbers. I've just heard a couple of people share them in the course of saying "I don't know how the hell I got into this place.") So it does happen.

I'll just address your age/marriage concern for now. It's not a concern. There are plenty of older (as in 30+) and married students here (and in other top law schools), and everyone understands that these students are at a different stage in life and are generally not looking to replicate the undergraduate experience. Just do the social things you want when you want/can and everything will be fine. There's no pressure.

If you decide law school is right for you, apply to the entire T14. You're never guaranteed scholarship money anywhere, but odds are you will pick up at least one very large offer in the lower T14. And even if there are certain T14 schools you can't see yourself attending, you still need to apply, because you can at least use their scholarship offers to negotiate with other schools.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”